PDA

View Full Version : Ghanaian Deportee Dies

BeautifulBurnout
03-19-2008, 03:37 PM
We lost my original rant about this in the Great Server Migration of 2008, but for those of you who remember (or care? ;)), the ghanaian woman who was wrenched from her hospital bed because her immigration appeal had failed died today.

Linky (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7305963.stm)

And here's (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7178416.stm) the original story.

Words fail me really. Except that sometimes I am so ashamed of my country. :(

Deckard
03-20-2008, 05:09 AM
....hours after being told that friends and family had found doctors in the UK and South Africa to treat her.
:(

As a matter of interest, I'd like to see all the party leaders questioned about their thoughts on this.

Sarcasmo
03-20-2008, 08:57 AM

As a matter of interest, I'd like to see all the party leaders questioned about their thoughts on this.

"We what? Oh. Fuck."

Sean
03-20-2008, 11:28 AM
From the original article you linked:

A spokesman for the Border and Immigration agency said said it would not remove from the UK anyone who they believe is at risk on their return.

"Part of our consideration when a person is removed is their fitness to travel and whether the necessary medical treatment is available in the country to which we are returning," he added.

"Removals are always carried out in the most sensitive way possible, treating those being removed with courtesy and dignity."

Every word of this was contradicted by what actually happened. It'll be interesting to hear the reactions to her death.

BeautifulBurnout
03-20-2008, 11:57 AM
From the original article you linked:

A spokesman for the Border and Immigration agency said said it would not remove from the UK anyone who they believe is at risk on their return.

"Part of our consideration when a person is removed is their fitness to travel and whether the necessary medical treatment is available in the country to which we are returning," he added.

"Removals are always carried out in the most sensitive way possible, treating those being removed with courtesy and dignity."

Every word of this was contradicted by what actually happened. It'll be interesting to hear the reactions to her death.

What they pay lip service to in public, and what the Home Office Presenting Officers argue in the Appeals Tribunal are polar opposites. Also, as for "courtesy and dignity", they carry out dawn raids on addresses, dragging families with children screaming and crying into prison vans to transport them to removal centres - they do this early in the morning so there is less chance of friends and neighbours witnessing the brutality with which they treat people.

I have come across cases where parents have been arrested and carried off like this while the kids are at school too - desperate because they have no idea what is going to happen to their children. The whole process is dehumanising in the extreme. Bearing in mind that all these people have done is to fail in their application for an extension of their visa, or fail in their application for political asylum.

Stephen
03-20-2008, 12:54 PM

Surely Cameron and Clegg's thoughts will be fairly predictable? Brown would fucking squirm though, Jesus Christ. It's fairly damning, I can't see how anyone could spin it as either excusable or understandable.