PDA

View Full Version : 'Feels' by Animal Collective

Scott Warner
08-15-2005, 10:40 PM
This is easily my new favoritest album and is a strong contender for record of the year. I was always secretly hoping that the Collective would focus their stream of ideas into something a little less dense and 'Feels' definitely is that record. Recommended.

mmm skyscraper
08-16-2005, 01:55 PM
I've only heard the song 'Grass', but it sounds promising.

GreenPea
08-16-2005, 04:25 PM
After only one listen in which I was not paying attention to 100% I think 'Banshee Beat' is my fave so far.

Scott Warner
08-20-2005, 02:35 PM
I am now willing to say that I think this is the album of the year (so far!)

Eikman
08-25-2005, 06:30 AM
i don't like this at all. in fact i had to skip through some songs.

Dirty0900
08-25-2005, 06:34 AM
I love the Animal Collective since i saw them first support Four Tet, is it as good as "Sung Tongs"? I never knew they had a new album out, can i presume its been leaked?

Eikman
08-25-2005, 06:35 AM
it is. i liked "sung tongs" btw, but this is just annoying.....

Dirty0900
08-25-2005, 06:38 AM
A lot of people said in general that AC are weird and the songs are annoying, well there music is not the easiest to get in to;)

Eikman
08-25-2005, 06:40 AM
that is what all crap bands say "it's not easy to get into".....maybe it's because you're shite, hm? ;)

but like i said, i don't think AC are some of them.

Dirty0900
08-25-2005, 06:42 AM
that is what all crap bands say "it's not easy to get into".....maybe it's because you're shite, hm? ;)

Haha,i'm quite excited now with the prospect of this new release.Samples of the single are here, along with various press blurb.

http://fat-cat.co.uk/fatcat/release.php?id=168

Scott Warner
08-25-2005, 10:40 AM
I have definitely given the previous Collective albums a shot and have always ended up annoyed by them. They were always big on a lot of ideas and very little focus. This is the first one where it feels as though they're starting to figure out their formula a bit.

For me, albums that initially hit me as "I don't know how I feel about this" often mean that they're challenging me with new ideas and I usually end up developing a deep affection for them. 'Feels' is definitely one of those records - it took me a good ten listens before I knew I loved it.

As for the liking something just because it's "cool" or assumptions of shit taste - these are generalizations that I don't think should be applicable to you guys. Like it or don't like it! :)

Strangelet
09-18-2005, 05:07 PM
step 1.

recognize their genius

step 2.

having instilled trust in them through the process of step 1, let them take control. they take you to beautiful, smiling places.

Maybe its because I'm inherently annoying but I just don't get annoying out if them at all. I get what seems to be a creative freedom not stemming from a bitter fuck the sytem cliche but just cynicism free ignorance to conformity.

I'm not saying they're inspired on every step. But they have been able to do two amazing things at once: make beautiful music and stand out from the increasingly monotonic irony of "indie" music.

XCheeseMan
09-18-2005, 09:11 PM
I miss the insane schizophrenic energy of thier previous two, having a bit of trouble getting into 'Feels' without it, but I realize how unique it is.

Definitely one to buy imo.

Tom
09-19-2005, 01:34 AM
I have listened to this record about 13 times, start to finish.

I just can't enjoy it, and I really don't know why. I find it boring to the point of actual physical pain.

:)

dubman
09-19-2005, 09:26 AM
i've heard it about 5 times now.
i like it, but i'm not quite "there"
whether that'll happen or not i dont know.
i think i need to shake off the nagging notion that i heard the best song first (grass, which amazed me) and the rest is not "unable to match that high" but more like "not single-oriented"

i dont know where i'm at with this record, but it's worth investing time in it.