PDA

View Full Version : Eikman - 2007/03/08

Eikman
03-08-2007, 03:53 PM
New spontaneous mix by me, no name, just good music; begins with quite a lot of space, but becomes more minimal towards the end. all releases except two are from the last month.

Comments appreciated :)

Peverelist - The Grind
Len Faki - Rainbow Delta
Eyerer & Toni Rios - Chorizo
Marcin Czubala - Starliner
Martin Landsky - Let Me Dance [Sebo K Remix]
Havana Funk - Babae [Padaru Mix]
Sweno N - Black Sun [Monoroom Remix]
Minilogue - Elephants Parade
Camille - Ta Douleur [Henrik Schwarz Remix]
Aardvarck - Aardbj [Quinces Broken Back Remix]
Alejandro Vivanco - Nomade
MIA - Swoon [Drama Society Remix]
Hearthrob - Baby Kate [Konrad Black Remix]
Agnes - Hi-Murda
Rejected - For The People
Beck - Cellphones Dead [Villalobos Remix]

Download (http://www.sendspace.com/file/gbiz5w)

Winston
03-08-2007, 07:01 PM
it's boring, you should go play on the minus party's ;)

BrotherLovesDub
03-08-2007, 09:37 PM
the grind is the best track in the mix and you didn't let it play. however, the mix flows really well and totally made the end of my work day a lot more enjoyable. thanks. all in all a great selection of tunes and seamless mixing.

highly recommended!

Professor
03-08-2007, 10:20 PM
thanks eikstein. the master of mixes weaves his wizardry and gadgets.

Eikman
03-09-2007, 02:53 AM
it's boring, you should go play on the minus party's ;)

if they pay me i'd be up for it! :)

Eikman
03-09-2007, 02:55 AM
the grind is the best track in the mix and you didn't let it play.

life ain't no request program lololololol

BrotherLovesDub
03-09-2007, 08:12 AM
part of being a dj is recognizing the qualities of your source material and using them to the greatest effect. by denying those detroit-y stabs from playing in The Grind, you wasted what would have been the strongest point of your mix. while the mixing is seamless, there's more to djing than simply warping the tracks and fading them in. this mix is good, but it could be stronger. learning how to best use the material you work with is essential. you neutered The Grind and therefore wasted a golden opportunity. instead of your mix breaking into new or unique territory, it quickly decends into your typical minimal/techno set.

just my opinion eikman. i liked the mix, but i think my point is valid.

Eikman
03-09-2007, 08:26 AM
instead of your mix breaking into new or unique territory, it quickly decends into your typical minimal/techno set.

i doubt that playing the Grind for another two minutes would have made the mix anymore unique to be honest. you like that track, which is fine, i like it too but i don't think it's *that* spectacular, so i used it as a mere introduction.

anyway, point taken. :)

kid cue
03-09-2007, 08:44 AM
part of being a dj is recognizing the qualities of your source material and using them to the greatest effect. by denying those detroit-y stabs from playing in The Grind, you wasted what would have been the strongest point of your mix. while the mixing is seamless, there's more to djing than simply warping the tracks and fading them in. this mix is good, but it could be stronger. learning how to best use the material you work with is essential. you neutered The Grind and therefore wasted a golden opportunity. instead of your mix breaking into new or unique territory, it quickly decends into your typical minimal/techno set.

just my opinion eikman. i liked the mix, but i think my point is valid.
another part of being a DJ is using the source material however you see fit!

another another part of being a DJ is letting the music speak for itself. so put up yr own mix BLD! :p

BrotherLovesDub
03-09-2007, 08:56 AM
i hear cries from people posting in craft all the time to receive feedback. i gave my feedback. i don't feel the need to prove my mixing skills to anyone. where were you in 96? i'd assume not behind the decks in clubs. i provided constructive feeback and i don't expect to be made to prove the legitimacy of my comments by posting a dj mix.

all anybody wants to hear when they post to this forum is OMG YOU'RE SO FUCKING AMAZING. YOU KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT MUSIC AND YOU'RE MIXING, SEQUENCING, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLZ MAKE ME HARD. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!

either you want feedback or you don't. my feedback was constructive and overwhelmingly positive.

BrotherLovesDub
03-09-2007, 09:03 AM
these dj mix postings are the most irritating bit of self-serving ego-stroking bullshit on dirty. you're not the fucking don of all techno (dnb, dubstep/whatever) or else you wouldn't be posting mixes to a forum like this looking for feedback. you'd be flying around the world, playing gigs, getting paid tons and blowing it all on drugs and hookers. (Jas to thread?)

this point is not directed at Eikman or any one person in general, rather the whole concept and purpose of the Craft forum. accept the criticisms or just sit naked in your room and jack off listening to your own dj mixes. works for professor. ;)

Eikman
03-09-2007, 09:03 AM
hey, i said i understood your point. no hard feelings from my side.

i like constructive and critical feedback. i also explained why i chose to play the track the way i did. maybe next time i'll do it different. there are a dozen things i would do different if i am going to mix the same tracks again today.

Eikman
03-09-2007, 09:08 AM
these dj mix postings are the most irritating bit of self-serving ego-stroking bullshit on dirty. you're not the fucking don of all techno (dnb, dubstep/whatever) or else you wouldn't be posting mixes to a forum like this looking for feedback. you'd be flying around the world, playing gigs, getting paid tons and blowing it all on drugs and hookers. (Jas to thread?)

well, even those DJs started small. and if internet didn't exist yet, they recorded their mixes to tape and spread them among friends, looking for exactly the same feedback people do now on the web (except this is actually easier and reaches a bigger audience - not always the best, i admit, because there is a lot of bullshit around, but you get the idea).

now if i were a dj, playing gigs, getting paid tons and blowing it all on drugs and hookers (and god knows i would do that), i probably would have no urge to post here. :)

Jason Roth
03-09-2007, 09:10 AM
getting paid tons and blowing it all on drugs and hookers. (Jas to thread?)

and what's so bad about that?

edit: the mix was really good.

edit 2: bld can lick the nuts

BrotherLovesDub
03-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Eikman, thank you. My comments are not directed towards you specifically. I really did like your mix and in fact, i've liked every mix i've heard from you. I love your track selection and the risks you take mixing in tracks i'd never have thought to use. Keep it up!

kid cue
03-09-2007, 09:21 AM
i hear cries from people posting in craft all the time to receive feedback. i gave my feedback. i don't feel the need to prove my mixing skills to anyone. where were you in 96? i'd assume not behind the decks in clubs. i provided constructive feeback and i don't expect to be made to prove the legitimacy of my comments by posting a dj mix.

all anybody wants to hear when they post to this forum is OMG YOU'RE SO FUCKING AMAZING. YOU KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT MUSIC AND YOU'RE MIXING, SEQUENCING, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLZ MAKE ME HARD. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!

either you want feedback or you don't. my feedback was constructive and overwhelmingly positive. oh god. on the one hand you're saying "all the real DJs don't talk on the internet; instead, they're global pimps" and on the other hand "my feedback is self-evidently legitimate because i know a lot and just take my word for it". your post just sounded way too pedantic for my taste, that's all. i'm obv just speaking for myself and not Eike (and i haven't posted any mixes or asked for feedback here). if i posted a mix and asked for feedback i'd still reserve the right to disagree w/ the feedback, "don of dubstep/whatever" on the decks or not, which i'm obviously not. what's with you calling out people for acting like know-it-alls and then acting like you're the one who knows it all? if i knew you could mix and "understand your source material and the flow of the mix" or whatever, then maybe i could take a comment like "part of being a dj is ... there's more to djing than ..." more seriously.

no hard feelings here either anyway, i'm sure we all hate James Blunt

kid cue
03-09-2007, 09:24 AM
i mean come on. who the hell tells a DJ where and where not to transition out of a track. gimme a break man.

Jason Roth
03-09-2007, 09:28 AM
i'm sure we all hate James Blunt

he's banging petra nemcova, so he must be doing something right.

BrotherLovesDub
03-09-2007, 09:29 AM
"i mean come on. who the hell tells a DJ where and where not to transition out of a track"

brother loves dub, obv.

Eikman
03-09-2007, 09:30 AM
all those replies makes my highly average initial posting (and therefore the thread) seem to be IMPORTANT. keep it coming! :D

Eikman
03-09-2007, 09:32 AM
he's banging petra nemcova, so he must be doing something right.

he's just a toyboy for her i bet....

aaaaanyway.....back on topic

Professor
03-09-2007, 09:38 AM
OMG YOU'RE SO FUCKING AMAZING. YOU KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT MUSIC AND YOU'RE MIXING, SEQUENCING, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLZ MAKE ME HARD. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!

that's all i want to hear.

but he DID say comments appreciated. bld isn't really known for holding back....

BrotherLovesDub
03-09-2007, 09:39 AM
kid cue: i chat with Eikman on a daily basis (well, nearly), and believe that my comments were taken the right way by him. if Eikman posts while drunk, he'll admit that I was right.

someone by that man a beer!

Professor
03-09-2007, 09:43 AM
where were you in 96? i'd assume not behind the decks in clubs

i was there. i saw it all. i know the condition you were in....and i'm STILL amazed you aren't dead.

Eikman
03-09-2007, 09:46 AM
I have a compilation of every good song ever done by anybody. Every great song by the Beach Boys. All the underground hits. All the Modern Lovers tracks. I have a vinyl of every Niagra record on German import. I have a white label of every seminal Detroit techno hit - 1985, '86, '87. I have a CD compilation of every good '60s cut and another box set from the '70s.

BrotherLovesDub
03-09-2007, 09:54 AM
I have a compilation of every good song ever done by anybody. Every great song by the Beach Boys. All the underground hits. All the Modern Lovers tracks. I have a vinyl of every Niagra record on German import. I have a white label of every seminal Detroit techno hit - 1985, '86, '87. I have a CD compilation of every good '60s cut and another box set from the '70s.

EXACTLY WHAT I WAS THINKING! I WUZ THERE DOOD!

BeautifulBurnout
03-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Well I have three of all of those. And the acetates.

And I was there at Woodstock....

(Still haven't listened to your mix yet tho - will let you know what I think, although I'm afraid it won't get me hard ;) )

BrotherLovesDub
03-09-2007, 09:55 AM
where were you in 96? i'd assume not behind the decks in clubs

i was there. i saw it all. i know the condition you were in....and i'm STILL amazed you aren't dead.

acid makes the music sound better, but it sure as hell makes matching beats harder. esp. in front of the House of Blues crowd. Panic at the Disco, indeed.

Jason Roth
03-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Chuck Berry is my father.

kid cue
03-09-2007, 10:17 AM
"i mean come on. who the hell tells a DJ where and where not to transition out of a track"

brother loves dub, obv. lol

i DO know what you mean. it seems like for every asshole with 2 turntables there are 5 mediocre DJ mixes. it's one of those 'add water and you're an artist' mediums, like photography.

ps i don't have the mix b/c the wifi here is realllly slow, not that anybody cares

stimpee
03-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Chuck Berry is my father.

In December 1959, after scoring a string of hit songs and while touring often, Berry had legal problems after he invited a 14-year-old Apache waitress that he met in Mexico to work as a hat check girl at Berry's Club Bandstand, his nightclub in St. Louis. After being fired from the club, the girl was arrested on a prostitution charge and Berry was arrested under the Mann Act. Berry was convicted, fined $5,000 and sentenced to five years in prison. This event, coupled with other early rock and roll scandals—such as Jerry Lee Lewis' marriage to his 13-year-old cousin and Alan Freed's payola conviction—gave rock and roll an image problem that limited its acceptance into mainstream U.S. society. Berry was released from prison in 1963.

In 1990 Berry was sued by several women who claimed that he had installed a video camera in the ladies' bathrooms at two of his St. Louis restaurants. A class action settlement was eventually reached with 59 women on the complaint. Berry's biographer, Bruce Pegg, estimated that it cost Berry over $1.2 million plus legal fees. A Miami purveyor of celebrity sex videos is currently marketing video footage purporting to show Berry urinating on a young woman in a bathtub. Although the voice sounds similar to Berry's his face is never visible on the tape, making positive identification impossible.

Eikman
03-09-2007, 10:21 AM
lol
it seems like for every asshole with 2 turntables there are 5 mediocre DJ mixes. it's one of those 'add water and you're an artist' mediums, like photography.

i'm even better: i'm an asshole without any turntable at all! :p

Jason Roth
03-09-2007, 10:24 AM
In December 1959, after scoring a string of hit songs and while touring often, Berry had legal problems after he invited a 14-year-old Apache waitress that he met in Mexico to work as a hat check girl at Berry's Club Bandstand, his nightclub in St. Louis. After being fired from the club, the girl was arrested on a prostitution charge and Berry was arrested under the Mann Act. Berry was convicted, fined $5,000 and sentenced to five years in prison. This event, coupled with other early rock and roll scandals—such as Jerry Lee Lewis' marriage to his 13-year-old cousin and Alan Freed's payola conviction—gave rock and roll an image problem that limited its acceptance into mainstream U.S. society. Berry was released from prison in 1963.

In 1990 Berry was sued by several women who claimed that he had installed a video camera in the ladies' bathrooms at two of his St. Louis restaurants. A class action settlement was eventually reached with 59 women on the complaint. Berry's biographer, Bruce Pegg, estimated that it cost Berry over $1.2 million plus legal fees. A Miami purveyor of celebrity sex videos is currently marketing video footage purporting to show Berry urinating on a young woman in a bathtub. Although the voice sounds similar to Berry's his face is never visible on the tape, making positive identification impossible.
ahh, that story brings back some memories.

Professor
03-09-2007, 10:38 AM
what's a vinyl?

BrotherLovesDub
03-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Lock Thread!

BeautifulBurnout
03-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Lock Thread!

Yeah - go on then!

Then we can have another one of these! (http://www.dirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1505) :D

Eikman
03-09-2007, 11:01 AM
nobody is closing this thread!

now download the bloody mix you slacks!

kid cue
03-09-2007, 11:06 AM
shut the fuck up Professor

BeautifulBurnout
03-09-2007, 12:29 PM
shut the fuck up Professor

that is SO rude and offensive. don't you realise (.... blah blah, habitual diatribe ad infinitum)

;)

sanakan
03-09-2007, 03:31 PM
BLD is really sir richard branson, you know?
and he's not only invented the turntable in 1733, but also pulled the mixdecks out of his left ear, and wrote ableton live while eating breakfast on top of a submarine.

King of Snake
03-10-2007, 04:29 AM
downloading now... this had better be worth it!

Leon
03-10-2007, 07:40 AM
downloading now... this had better be worth it!

This mix is a real letdown after reading this exciting thread.

Renze
03-10-2007, 12:01 PM
So it doesn't live up to the hype?

sanblaster
03-12-2007, 05:36 AM
This thread killed all the fun I was intending to expect in MY session thread....

VIVA EL EIKO!!

ROFLERZ

BrotherLovesDub
03-12-2007, 06:48 AM
i may have been wrong. i'm not sure how eike would have/could have used the meat of The Grind (mmm..some kind of joke in there), but the intro was used to perfection.

anyway, i've relistened to it now and wanted to say,

Goddamn that DJ made my day!

kid cue
03-14-2007, 12:50 PM
just got around to listening. WHAT labels are these tunes on?! they are great!!!!

Eikman
03-14-2007, 01:03 PM
just got around to listening. WHAT labels are these tunes on?! they are great!!!!

uhh i was too lazy to include them :D

a few from the top of my head:

marcin czubala - mobilee
MIA - sub static
martin landsky - pokerflat
minilogue - wagon repair
heartthrob - m_nus
aardvarck - rush hour NL
eyerer - kickboxer
sweno n - parquet

polar_action
03-15-2007, 03:48 AM
hehe.. Just started back with the forum reads and came across this :eek:

I really like the way you all play your records. On then off, then on again.

Cool.

All you sucka DJs DANCE. DANCE NOW BITCHES!!

There, I think you'll find that my point of view stands up to any argument.

Thank you and goodbye,

Dave ;)