PDA

View Full Version : Indian Jones - John Williams Score

big screen satellite
07-27-2005, 04:19 AM
Just been watching the movie Raiders of the Lost Ark, whilst working, so not really watching the action, but been hearing most of the music and sounds and i have to big up the soundtrack for this movie...without it, i don't think the movie would be what it is...obviously the theme tune is a true classic...but the 'mood' and stunt sequnce music is astonishing and quite frankly brilliant...probably one of John William's best overall scores.

I'm gonna watch the 4th disc now to check the music special feature, but as we all know John Williams, the scorer of the music for Indy, is a genius, and i'd recommend anyone who likes his scores to go buy his Greatest Hits 1969-1999 compilation, which features picks of all his classic score pieces, from Star Wars, Jaws, Close Encounters, Saving Private Ryan and beyond....

I don't think that music scorer's get as much credit that they should for making the movies what they are...without some of Williams' scores the movies we watch and know so well would be oddly different...and less impactful...Jaws without the der - dums is just one example...

so when you watch a (classic) movie in the near future, listen out a bit more for the musical score...see how much it changes your enjoyment of the movie...:)

(this kinda praise can go for a lot of scorers of soundtracks...Vangellis is another obvious choice...)

so keep listening....

Mattval1

(EDIT: I Know i missed the 'a' from Indiana in the thread title...opps..)

b.miller
07-27-2005, 02:08 PM
Indian Jones and the Trail of Tears

Indian Jones and the Bombay Bomber

Indian Jones and the Raiders of Buffalo Plains

Indian Jones and the Teepee of Doom

Indian Jones and the Infernal Curry

keep going...

big screen satellite
07-27-2005, 02:16 PM
thanks...:D

i know i spelled it wrong...

grady
07-27-2005, 02:55 PM
Indian Jones and the temple of lost term papers

Indian Jones and the last midterm

Indian Jones and the Battle for a bottle of Bourbon

Indian Jones and the Nazi go at it again

Indian Jones and the Nazi, still going at it.

Indian Jones and the Nazis forever

Indian Jones and the woman who said no

Indian Jones and the case of lost luggage

(got a bit carried away....it's kind of fun though)

ndrwrld
07-27-2005, 03:39 PM
indiana jones and the jonesez.

Animal Boything
07-27-2005, 06:07 PM
Back to the original topic, it always bugged me that Howard Shore won Oscars for the first and third parts of Lord of the Rings but not the second... I thought The Two Towers had the best score out of the three. The music he came up with for the Rohan scenes is incredibly powerful stuff. I wasn't so much into the Bombast of the Fellowship theme, etc. in the other movies.

Also, quit picking on poor BSS's typo... we all know the pain of jonesin' for some Indian food, it can't be helped...

b.miller
07-27-2005, 06:21 PM
Also, quit picking on poor BSS's typo... we all know the pain of jonesin' for some Indian food, it can't be helped...

oh i wasn't picking! i soooo empathize. i had a thread on here called something like "what's up with protishead?" so i know the frustration of seeing it there and not being able to do anything about it...

BUT, Indian Jones sounds funny to me... like a complete Bollywood translation or some native american adventurer

adam
07-27-2005, 06:28 PM
Speaking of my new trend of hijacking treatment threads onto whatever I think of, I'm trying to convince a native friend of mind (with an interest in film) to produce a huge special effects monster of a Native American myth movie. I think that would be so cool to see done right.

big screen satellite
07-28-2005, 01:58 PM
on a similar topic to the original one...i'm considering calling my dog Indiana (when i get one)..

which i think was the original inspiration for Spielbergs name, wasn't it?

grady
07-28-2005, 02:22 PM
It was George Lucas dog if my memory serves me correctly.

Animal Boything
07-28-2005, 02:25 PM
The same dog (a malamute) was the inspiration for Chewbacca... the dog always sat beside him in his truck, and he felt like he had a huge, furry co-pilot.

grady
07-28-2005, 02:27 PM
Here we go:

http://www.answers.com/topic/indiana-jones

http://encyclopedia.worldvillage.com/s/b/Indiana_Jones

big screen satellite
07-28-2005, 03:00 PM
yeah Lucas' dog, i thought it was Speilberg's but it was one of them...thats for sure...

i like the way GL & Speilbergo reference real life...like C-3PO being the grid ref for a post office...and R2-D2, reel 2 dialogue 2...its probably mainly George to be honest...

b.miller
07-28-2005, 04:11 PM
Speaking of my new trend of hijacking treatment threads onto whatever I think of, I'm trying to convince a native friend of mind (with an interest in film) to produce a huge special effects monster of a Native American myth movie. I think that would be so cool to see done right.

as long as he goes light on the turquoise....

p.s. nice sig Adam... i love that song