PDA

View Full Version : Carling Weekend Dance Tent (disappointing)

Ally
07-26-2005, 02:59 AM
I'm rather under-excited about this...

http://www.meanfiddler.com/displayPage_leeds.asp?PageID=456

What's your thoughts? I know I've not given MIA enough of a chance so that's a shining light. Mylo I've seen 15 times so yeah. Fort Minor, the solo project of the Linkin Park MC, that far up the bill? Please... Pretty much the only inclusion I'm excited about is DJ James Murphy, despite having the feeling it'll be predictable.

holden
07-26-2005, 05:34 AM
Well, they do say that more acts may be added. But i agree...at least based on names, there's n ot a whole lot of recognizeability there. You going? Hopefully you'll be surprised.

Ally
07-26-2005, 07:50 AM
You going? Hopefully you'll be surprised.

Yeah I go every year, I'd go to Creamfields if they made it three days. Normally the Carling weekend Dance Tent is among the best on the calendar, but the organisers showed their distaste for all music you can move your body to by cutting the stage back from three days of the festival to two, making the comedy tent go three days... The rest of the lineup this year is the saving grace:

The Go! Team
Marilyn Manson
Incubus
Roots Manuva
LCD Soundsystem
Sons & Daughters
Ladytron
Iggy & The Stooges
Dresden Dolls
Saul Williams

But yeah, first chance I'm presented with to show the organisers that I think they're shite at what they do, I'll take it.

joethelion
07-26-2005, 02:51 PM
...yea I would even be underimpressed by that lineup

but I will HIGHLY recommend seeing Buck 65. For such a small setup, it's still a really entertaining show.

Buck 65 kinda raps/spoken word in a tone not much different than Tom Waits, but on one song a friend of mine said that he sounded like Marilyn Manson

so you got this one guy, and his entire set up is a single 12" and a cd player. He doesn't really mix between songs, but his scratching was insane.

Ally
07-27-2005, 03:09 AM
Buck 65 kinda raps/spoken word in a tone not much different than Tom Waits, but on one song a friend of mine said that he sounded like Marilyn Manson

Anything like Saul Williams? Who blew the shit out of me supporting NIN..

joethelion
07-27-2005, 09:23 AM
hm... I actually am not familiar with Saul Williams...

but like imagine what you'd get if you combined early-ish Dj Shadow mixed with Tom Waitts, but with a bit more smuggness

Anything like Saul Williams? Who blew the shit out of me supporting NIN..

Ally
07-27-2005, 12:37 PM
Full lineup now, this is fucking pish by the way...

Friday 26th August
MYLO
M.I.A.
FOUR TET
BUCK 65
VHS OR BETA
HOT CHIP
T RAUMSCHMIERE
THE MODERN
also
DJ's JAMES MURPHY & FILTHY DUKES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday 27th August
LEMON JELLY
AUDIO BULLYS
FORT MINOR
KANO
DJ FORMAT FEAT: ABDOMINAL & D-SISIVE
DREADZONE
RALPH MYERZ & THE JACK HERREN BAND
PERFORMANCE
THE INFADELS
AKALA
BEDOUIN SOUNDCLASH

Dirty0900
07-27-2005, 03:38 PM
Seeing its a rock/indie festival, i wouldnt be to surprised that the dance lineup aint stunnung;)

Four Tet,Lemon Jelly,Audop Bullys,Hot Chip,Mylo and The Infadels stand out for me.

Go and see The Pixies instead!

Ally
07-27-2005, 11:46 PM
Seeing its a rock/indie festival, i wouldnt be to surprised that the dance lineup aint stunnung;)

The Carling weekend usually pulls one of the most interesting dance lineups of the calendar out of the bag (not a big name DJ in sight!), recent highlights include !!!, LCD Soundsystem, FC/Kahuna (live), Lamb, Squarepusher, Aphex Twin, Rahzel, Free*Land, Futureshock (live) and 2 Many DJs. It started going downhill when Smirnoff Experience departed after 2003.

Emmet
07-31-2005, 05:22 AM
We've been told by someone (though its not been confirmed) that we're playing the unsigned stage so you can come and see us if we're playing! :D

Ally
08-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Gotta say the Comedy & Cabaret Tent lineup us something of a saving grace - screenings of Chris Cunningham's Rubber Johnny, WarpVision, Ghost In the Shell, sets from Cuban Brothers, an appearance by Saul Williams, and when I switch off I can piss myself at Dirty Sanchez.. Evening entertainment sorted :) The Oxfam tent also looks like a treat :)

http://www.dirty.org/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=6181

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/050811a.shtml

COMEDY & CABARET STAGE
LEEDS 2005
Thursday 25th August

MC – TIMOTHY OF LONDON
DJ & BUZZARD VISUALS THROUGHOUT THE EVENING
FREAKS UNION (LIVE)
THIS GIRL (LIVE)
TBC
+ AFTERHOURS…
CHRIS CUNNINGHAM’S
RUBBER JOHNNY
METALLICA’S
SOME KIND OF MONSTER

http://www.meanfiddler.com/images/upload/cAB-150-2.jpgFriday 26th August

MC – PAUL B EDWARDS
MANGA FILM - DEAD LEAVES
PATRICK MONAHAN
JASON MANFORD
REGINALD D HUNTER
CHRISTIAN REILLY
ADAM BLOOM
MATT WELCOME
KEVIN McCARTHY
TOBY FOSTER
YIANNI AGISILAOU
IAN COGNITO
THE MIXTAPE DJ'S AND BUZZARD BUZZARD VISUALS
CIRCUS OF HORRORS SATANICA
DIRTY SANCHEZ
THE MIXTAPE DJ'S
THE CUBAN BROTHERS
+ AFTERHOURS…
WARPVISION – The Warp Records Video Compilation including Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Chris Morris and more

http://www.meanfiddler.com/images/upload/cAB-150.jpg

Saturday 27th August

MC – MARTIN BIGPIG
MANGA FILM - BLOOD - THE LAST VAMPIRE
HUGH LENNON HYPNOTIST
JASON JOHN WHITEHEAD
LUCY PORTER
JASON ROUSE
MARCUS BRIGSTOCKE
LEMON JELLY BINGO
SANDY NELSON
MATT KIRSCHEN
GLEN WOOL
ROB ROUSE
STEVE GRIBBIN
DJ set & Visuals by TYPE2ERROR
SAUL WILLIAMS
YOUTHMOVIE SOUNDTRACK STRATEGIES
DJ set & Visuals by TYPE2ERROR
+ AFTERHOURS...
ERROR IN MOVIES
YOUTH MOVIE SOUNDTRACK STRATEGIES with TYPE2ERROR and guests
TYPE2ERROR Video Show featuring: Hope Of The States, Bloc Party and more
FILM - 1991 - THE YEAR THAT PUNK BROKE

http://www.meanfiddler.com/images/upload/cAB-150-2.jpgSunday 28th August

MC – MICK FERRY
MANGA FILM -
GHOST IN THE SHELL: STAND ALONE COMPLEX
ALAN CARR
MARCUS BIRDMAN
RHYS DARBY
DANIEL PACKYARD
TOM STADE
JIM JEFFRIES
BEN NORRIS
MITCH BENN

lukeyd
08-11-2005, 11:50 PM
the cuban brothers are mint. saw them at exit, one of the best live performances i have ever seen, made better by the fact that the mtv tent was just one stage, with the crowd on the stage too. kinda like a house party atmosphere.

Ally
08-16-2005, 10:25 AM
the cuban brothers are mint. saw them at exit, one of the best live performances i have ever seen, made better by the fact that the mtv tent was just one stage, with the crowd on the stage too. kinda like a house party atmosphere.

Good chance I'll catch them then, even if they clash with Lemon Jelly and Ladytron.

Ally
08-16-2005, 10:26 AM
We've been told by someone (though its not been confirmed) that we're playing the unsigned stage so you can come and see us if we're playing! :D

Any more word on this yet? :)

Ally
08-22-2005, 06:57 AM
Any more word on this yet? :)

Saw the bad news on the website - hard lines.

Ally
08-30-2005, 09:45 AM
Was anyone else there? I can't seem to find any news of the big fucking riot on Sunday night. Fucking scary, these people should be hung for their stupidity. More when I collect my thoughts.