PDA

View Full Version : House of Leaves

grady
07-24-2005, 10:51 PM
Bringing back another thread from the old forums.

I'm flirting with reading this one. It's been hanging around in the back of my mind and on the top of my piles of books stacked the my apt lately. I've gone so far as to read about 10 pages or so, covering the introduction. Lately I've been making an attempt to read more of the 'classics' and books that would fall into the canon of literature, but have been finding other distractions in other genres. A friend of mine is moving to China in 10 days to teach for one year.

House of Leaves is one of the books that he is taking with him. He's been urging me to get around to reading it for a while. Now I feel that perhaps I should so we can discuss the book before he leaves.

Anyone else got around to reading this one yet? I know there were some around here who had read it and loved it and there were also quite a few who hadn't read the book.

winjer
07-25-2005, 07:27 AM
Read it and loved it, though its hard not to write it off as pretentious a lot of the time. Just accept the fact that it's a little on the indulgent side, and enjoy it for what it is... theres a lot of cool things going on in the book, they just don't always work 100%.

XCheeseMan
07-25-2005, 09:48 AM
I read about a fourth of it. Then I remembered that I have programming to learn.

what I read was cool.... although I found the prose frickin annoying at times.

b.miller
07-25-2005, 11:18 AM
I've just started it, about 50 pages in.

judgement to follow

b.miller
08-02-2005, 11:30 AM
going pretty slow for me but then again i haven't had the time to really get into it lately...

grady
08-02-2005, 12:56 PM
going pretty slow for me but then again i haven't had the time to really get into it lately...

Same here. Got distracted by a birthday gift from a friend too. A book on Wong Kar-Wai. :D It's pretty short, so I'll read a section or two on each film and then go back to House of leaves.

b.miller
08-25-2005, 09:06 AM
back from the dead... it took me forever to read this. my first thought is that it would make a good movie.

other than that, I'm in agreement with pretty much everyone here. It's a cool idea but the actual writing really slows it down and gets in the way.