PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith...

big screen satellite
06-28-2005, 12:23 PM
well we've been away so long...i so wanted to start a thread about this a while back, and fortunately i have the Galactic Senate forums for my Star Wars discussions...

anyway

I thought it was awesome...over too quickly, a little rushed and 'convenienent' at the end...but it worked well and tied the SAGA together neatly..and had some really cool and funny bits in it that made the darkness a little better - R2 D2 anyone...the best 'silent' comic actor ever???

Future Proof
06-28-2005, 12:34 PM
Agreed with R2 D2, definately on par with filmmaking's best silent actors, for some strange reason... well, even though he wasn't silent, he wasn't legible either.

All in all, I felt that the third one, THANK GOD, was good with maybe one or two faults. I was extremely pleased with how the flow of the movie, coupled with the presentation of background knowledge, now makes the sequels make complete sense. Try watching A New Hope again, and I think you'd agree.

In final, I consider it the 2nd best out of the 6, behind Empire... but that's just my thoughts.

groovypanda
06-28-2005, 12:35 PM
to be honest i thought it was a crock of shit

and i really, really was wanting to like it - maybe i've become too disillusioned by the earlier 2 epsiodes

a definite case of style over substance and for fuck's sake why didn't someone stand up to lucas and say "well, um george, don't you think you've got enough CGI now..." at some early stage of production :(

and as for anakin's descent into the dark side - jesus!

- your wife may be going to die and i may be able to teach you how to save her if you join the dark side.

- um, well ok. sounds good to me. suppose i better go off and kill a load of kids then...

i'm trying my best to erase all memory of these prequels from my memory but i fear my enjoyment of the originals will be forever tainted now

ah well

matt

Future Proof
06-28-2005, 12:44 PM
M'eh -- that's like missing the forest because there are too many trees in the way.

dubman
06-28-2005, 12:45 PM
figured all of the hubbub over ep3 failed spectacularly here when the board went down on its release.

i thought it was great, i'm back to admiring lucas everytime i see his once depressing mug on television.

but, and i know a big deal has been made of it in a million other places, but

i love you
only because you're beautiful
no, i love you because you're beautiful
i love you too for you are beautiful
only because you are love that i beautiful you so much

all i can compare that riff with is autistic tennis. oh man.

and also anakin was a retard (with far better acting this time round though), any donut with critical thinking skills can reject that nonsense from palpatine, but no, anakin has to full on convert to the dark side in a fit of PMS.
the 'noooooooo' bit was blown out of proportion though. it makes sense if you think that it's still anakin in that suit and not DARTH "FUCKING" VADER

but again, i enjoyed it greatly...twice.
but i do want a board game of WHERE IS PADME.

dubman
06-28-2005, 12:49 PM
and as for anakin's descent into the dark side - jesus!

- your wife may be going to die and i may be able to teach you how to save her if you join the dark side.

- um, well ok. sounds good to me. suppose i better go off and kill a load of kids then...

and then palpatine tells him that he killed Padme with his anger, which is pretty much a driving necessity for the dark side.
instead of screaming frustration he should have up and castrated him for such an outright contradiction.

big screen satellite
06-28-2005, 12:54 PM
yeah Anakin's decent to darkness was lame...but i think it was inevitable after the detah of his mother rather than the 'supposed' preminsion of death of his wife...

but that was a bit lame all in all...

Palaptine was great though...

"hello my green freind"

i feel that people who don't seem to like ROTS were definitely 'tainted' by the other two movies...

but i'm sorry guys - you all have to get over the idea of Trilogies and the prequels...

its one long Saga now...and hating one episode - you hate the entire essence of the SAGA...its like skipping a chapter in a book...all the episodes are there and all are necessary to the 'sense' of the Star Wars experience...

(ps: can we have some Star Wars Smilies?)

Raz
06-28-2005, 01:17 PM
ROTS was much better than the first two although that's not difficult. Most of the issues I had with it have already been mentioned but I let a lot of it wash over me cos Lucas sucks the big one at writing dialogue etc. Did love R2's little comedy moments :) Guess I'd give it a 6.5/10?

big screen satellite
06-28-2005, 01:23 PM
ROTS was much better than the first two although that's not difficult. Most of the issues I had with it have already been mentioned but I let a lot of it wash over me cos Lucas sucks the big one at writing dialogue etc. Did love R2's little comedy moments :) Guess I'd give it a 6.5/10?

me 8.5/10...

ranks 3rd out of the six....for me

//\/\/
06-28-2005, 02:12 PM
all i can compare that riff with is autistic tennis

first classic quotation of the new generation!!!

bits were great - i loved grevious and his lightsabres - plot was good, action was fine, acting was fucking abysmal - r2d2 wants fucking melting down - how come he lost the ability to fly??????? how come he had the fucking thing in the first place? why the fuck have chewbacca? and if so, where's fucking han fucking solo? eh? eh?

still, 7/10

Future Proof
06-28-2005, 09:52 PM
Han Solo's intro to Chewie is explained in the 4th movie. Nuff said, since I've already proclaimed that this 3rd movie ties the other one together, not to mention that there's like 30-something years that pass between the end of ROTS and ANH....

GreenPea
06-29-2005, 01:41 PM
I thought the in betweens of Anakin changing form the dark to the light side every five seconds was horribly done. One second he is doing it all for his wife next second he is strangling her. Yeah sure cause he is evil now and stuff, it was still pretty retarded.

To be totally honest the coolest thing in this whole movie was Palpatine and his devious plan to take over and eliminate the Jedi. When the clone army turned on the Jedi that was cool as hell. Go Palpatine! :p

King of Snake
06-29-2005, 03:19 PM
I enjoyed it the first time, but the second time I started to get annoyed by things.
Overall it's the strongest of the prequels, but that's not saying much. It's just because the content they had to deal with in this movie was more interesting than the previous ones, not because Lucas learned anything from his mistakes.
In the very first scenes we are treated to some "funny" banter between Obi Wan and Anaking in their spaceships, which like every conversation between them is totally unconvincing and not funny. ("this is where the fun begins"). Then obi wans ship is attacked by the most ridiculous weapon ever devised: a missile which transforms into little droids which start to take the ship apart. Yeah right, why not just fire an EXPLOSIVE missile and blow up the ship at once? Stupid. Of course all the droids and even the droid starfighters now have little sounds as if they were living creatures or personalities. Then we are treated to the battle droids in the hangar, which they have given "funny" helium voices and who are having even funnier conversations with eachother. The droids also say "uh-oh" about four times in the movie. Whoever thought of that should be shot. Oh yeah, they had a wookie who made a tarzan yell. I don't mean something that sounded tarzan-like, no it was literally tarzan! The person who thought that would be cool should be dipped in acid, then shot.
Again, none of the big battle scenes (Coruscant, Kashyyyk) had any sense of direction or focus, which really killed the suspense (as if it wasn't already killed by the constant "funny" jokes and tarzan wookies).
General Grievous was a cool idea but again they made him "funny" by having a stupid overacted voice and have him wheezing and coughing all the time. He could have been real intimidating and sinister, but instead he was just another goofy and unneccesary character that added nothing to the story.
Anakin's turn to the dark side has been discussed before, and I agree it wasn't very believable. "yeah ok I'll kill children and betray my friends just because maybe I can save my wife who perhaps could die in childbirth because I saw it in a dream".
There was a great scene with palpatine and anakin at the "concert" though, where you almost sympatise with palpatine as he explains the dark side to anakin. The final battle between Obi Wan and Anakin was very good too, especially the ending. "I hate you!!" possibly the best line by Hayden in the whole trilogy. I thought that was pretty powerful. Sadly the "NOOOOO!" by Darth Vader was so cheesy again, like a 3rd rate star wars comic book or something.
Palpatine when he changed to evil emperor was waaay over the top as well. He should have been sinister and scary, but instead he was a laughable cackling idiot. Totally unbelievable that Anakin would follow him when he sees him like that.
There were some strange plotholes as well: when Padme is giving birth, the medical droid says something like "we need to operate immediately", but then she just gives birth normally and they don't need to operate at all! What the hell? Also if they are already building the Death Star at the end of this movie, then they sure took their time to finish it! Episode IV is what, 20 years later? But they seemed to be able to build the second Death Star in a few years perhaps? Very strange. And suddenly, at the end of the movie the fleet of the republic has done the complete transformation to imperial fleet, with the grey uniforms and all that. Seems pretty unrealistic, but hey they had to tie it in with the other movies of course even if it doesn't make sense at all.

I still enjoyed the movie though, the killing of the jedi was cool, but there's way too much of this kind of crap to make it on par with A new Hope or Empire Strikes Back.

King of Snake
06-29-2005, 03:26 PM
not to mention that there's like 30-something years that pass between the end of ROTS and ANH....

seeing as Luke is probably supposed to be about 20-something in ANH (is his exact age ever revealed?), that is the time that has passed between the two films. (since he is born at the end of ROTS)

adam
06-29-2005, 03:29 PM
What would have improved the movies, as me and my friend came up with, is if Darth Maul, Count Dooku and General Grievous had been a single character. There was no need to split that role into three throw-away characters. It diluted the drama. Imagine if Obi-Wan had finally bested Qui-Gon's killer, two movies later.

Of course, the plot would require minor revisions, but it would have been doable. Then this trilogy would have had it's Darth Vader, too.

King of Snake
06-29-2005, 03:31 PM
its one long Saga now...and hating one episode - you hate the entire essence of the SAGA...its like skipping a chapter in a book...all the episodes are there and all are necessary to the 'sense' of the Star Wars experience...

nonsense. It's not like the plots for the prequals where all ready and written at the same time as the original trilogy. They just extended the saga that was there, with some of the ideas George had about the backstory of certain characters.
What's wrong with enjoying just the parts that are actually good? I mean, I've seen all the films (and read some of the books) so I know all the backstory, that doesn't mean I have to appreciate how they told that story in these new movies.

grady
06-29-2005, 04:03 PM
After a month and five viewings, it's starting to wear a bit thin. I still enjoyed it but it wasn't without it's problems. With low expectations it was good, but had SOOOOOOO much potential it still makes me somewhat sad about how it all turned out.

adam
06-29-2005, 04:31 PM
The thing that I really enjoyed about it was the parallel between when Anakin turned to the dark side, and when he turned from the dark side. That is, he goes over when Mace and Palpatine are fighting, and, in Jedi, when the Emperor is electrocuting his son, it's like a parallel moment, and as if he could look back on how his life had gone between those two moments. The second time, it was like he was given a chance to take back his previous choice.

That's what I really liked about this movie.

grady
06-29-2005, 04:39 PM
The thing that I really enjoyed about it was the parallel between when Anakin turned to the dark side, and when he turned from the dark side. That is, he goes over when Mace and Palpatine are fighting, and, in Jedi, when the Emperor is electrocuting his son, it's like a parallel moment, and as if he could look back on how his life had gone between those two moments. The second time, it was like he was given a chance to take back his previous choice.

That's what I really liked about this movie.

The thing about the prequels though is that there was the room for much more of these parallels than what we saw.

A great opportunity was squandered.

Winston
06-29-2005, 09:05 PM
the movie is cool, good, dark (it could have been darker)

the book, kicks ass

one big disappointment,

anakin kills shaak-ti before killing the students,
it wasn't in the movie :(

george i hope you make that a deleted scene on the dvd :D

King of Snake
06-30-2005, 02:45 AM
What would have improved the movies, as me and my friend came up with, is if Darth Maul, Count Dooku and General Grievous had been a single character. There was no need to split that role into three throw-away characters. It diluted the drama. Imagine if Obi-Wan had finally bested Qui-Gon's killer, two movies later.

Of course, the plot would require minor revisions, but it would have been doable. Then this trilogy would have had it's Darth Vader, too.

yeah, I think that would have been a more interesting idea. I would do away with Dooku and Grievous and just keep Darth Maul, 'cause he's the most badass of the all :)

goldfish
06-30-2005, 03:19 AM
It was alright. Too much to take in at times, which was just plain annoying. The dialogue, aside from Palpatine who could act (Ewan Macgregor seemed to have suspended his acting capacity for the entire prequel saga) was piss poor; it made the originals feel like fecking Shakespeare.

Too many weak jokes; it's not a comedy. Too many obvious 'tying together of loose ends' particularly Yoda's pathetic 'I've got Qui Gon on line 4 Obi, will you take the call' shite at the end.

I thought the Obi/Ani fight was done really well though, and slicing off Ani's legs and watching them burn was quality entertainment.

The wookies were waaaaayyyyy to convenient, but at least there was a lot less 3PO. I liked the little shot of the Falcon.

All in all, OK. Glad it's all over. All we need now is a Lando and Han spin-off.

Simon

big screen satellite
06-30-2005, 05:37 AM
All in all, OK. Glad it's all over. All we need now is a Lando and Han spin-off.

Simon

what a bit like the Joey sitcom spin off from Friends ;)

Lando & Han's Coruscant flat sharing days... ;)

djeddy
06-30-2005, 08:59 AM
it was the best of the first three, no doubt. but its still a C. the story was never that powerful. SW 1/2/3 was more of a visual show reel for lucas' ILM to bring in more business from hollywood. competition. y'know because those frenchy BUF guys were beginning to kick their ass.

im just glad the shits over. hopefully all the star wars geeks will disappear from my local theater.

LOTR was a better trilogy either way.

cured
06-30-2005, 12:20 PM
^^ agreed

The prequels of Star Wars really had a seriously problem from the get-go...you already knew the most important parts of the story! From there it had to be like good opera, as they say, as in the execution of the story is the most critical element. On a lot of levels, it was TERRIBLE. But for the most part, it had the feeling of a Star Wars movie than either of the previous two did. There were obvious holes in the storyline that Lucas can only assume disappeared in some black hole in every Star Wars fan's mind, which may have been why the reasons why some of the things played out the way they did was so erroneous.

I'm still pissed they used a CG jell-o mold Yoda than to have some little robot or a midget in a suit.

The first action sequence, however, was quite good :)

big screen satellite
06-30-2005, 12:47 PM
unfortunatley the problem with the Prequel Trilogy (PT) is it suffered from great expectation and hype and failed to deliver for fans of the Original Trilogy (OT)...

however,

there are kids out there who know and only know the PT, and love episodes I-III - they are aged between 8-15...which is how old most of us who saw the OT were (well us 30 somethings at least)

don't forget that many older people didn't think the OT was that great when it came out...clunky dialogue - stupid plot, poor acting...teh very same accusations laid upon the PT...don't forget several major studios foolishly turned it down...

its all a matter of perspective...we loved the OT because we grew up with it...GL went back and made the PT...almost because the fans (now aged) demanded it (but mainly because he could with the technoilogy he now has)

its a kids movie...made for kids...how many 7 year olds thingk Jar Jar is dumb, or that Anakin & Obi Wan's dialogue is clunky...none, because they just love the battles, they don't care if there's too much CGI, or not enough explanation...they wanna see explosions, the odd funny bit, and enjoy a space movie...

its a simple logic that GL has applied and regargless of the fans backlash at TPM...he's carried on...think back to when you were 7 - would you have enjoyed ROTS more...probably...

some people take movies way too seriously above and beyond what they are meant for....entertainment

ok - i agree with most of you on all the claims laid at GL's door about not being able to direct people or write dialogue or whatever...but so what - the movie was fun and completed the series of one of the best Saga's in movie history...

now on to the Star Wars TV series...

King of Snake
06-30-2005, 01:49 PM
unfortunatley the problem with the Prequel Trilogy (PT) is it suffered from great expectation and hype and failed to deliver for fans of the Original Trilogy (OT)...

however,

there are kids out there who know and only know the PT, and love episodes I-III - they are aged between 8-15...which is how old most of us who saw the OT were (well us 30 somethings at least)

don't forget that many older people didn't think the OT was that great when it came out...clunky dialogue - stupid plot, poor acting...teh very same accusations laid upon the PT...don't forget several major studios foolishly turned it down...

its all a matter of perspective...we loved the OT because we grew up with it...GL went back and made the PT...almost because the fans (now aged) demanded it (but mainly because he could with the technoilogy he now has)

its a kids movie...made for kids...how many 7 year olds thingk Jar Jar is dumb, or that Anakin & Obi Wan's dialogue is clunky...none, because they just love the battles, they don't care if there's too much CGI, or not enough explanation...they wanna see explosions, the odd funny bit, and enjoy a space movie...

its a simple logic that GL has applied and regargless of the fans backlash at TPM...he's carried on...think back to when you were 7 - would you have enjoyed ROTS more...probably...

some people take movies way too seriously above and beyond what they are meant for....entertainment

ok - i agree with most of you on all the claims laid at GL's door about not being able to direct people or write dialogue or whatever...but so what - the movie was fun and completed the series of one of the best Saga's in movie history...

now on to the Star Wars TV series...

i disagree for the most part. I hear this argument a lot of times "we like the original trilogy because we grew up with it but in the end they are all the same and they're all kids movies etc etc" and then the ultimate obviousness of "some people take movies way too seriously above and beyond what they are meant for....entertainment".
The fact that i deeply dislike a lot of aspects from the new movies has nothing to do with taking it too seriously. I don't take Star Wars seriously at all, but I can still demand quality from my entertainment. I take quality movie-making seriously, and a movie can be aimed at 7 year old kids and still have that quality. Explosions, bad jokes and expensive CG does not make for quality entertainment (how many more hollywood blockbusters does it take to prove that point?) There are just obvious faults with this movies that can't be ignored. Will 7 year old kids care about it? Probably not. But will they think back of these films fondly in 20 years and will new generation of kids pick them up like they did the original films. I think not. They will never be seen as classics like the old ones.

patrick
06-30-2005, 02:03 PM
ya, i think KoS's point is good. However i believe that is more of the prilogy as a whole. i think this movie was 10 times better than the first.... with the exception to all the SHITTY SHITTY SHITTY tie ins, like the wookies and the "qui-qon taught me to talk to the past etc etc etc" all BS..
and the worst of themmm: "Luke.... Leia..." Like that was important... it made me burst out laughing and then i hit my friend.

big screen satellite
07-01-2005, 12:20 AM
the thing is that i think people are expecting to much from these movies - did GL set the bar too high in 1977?

...generally the PT movies are NOT bad at all...and there are elements in them that are astounding and will be remembered for many years...(the Jedi's sabre fight with Darth Maul for one)

i don't think that you can just pass over the PT just because of Jar Jar pisses you off or that there's too much CGI (there's too much CGI in Spiderman IMO) or the acting is crap...all of these things were burdended upon the original movie...a 7ft man in a bear suit, muppet aliens in the cantina & Jabba's palace, clunky dialogue ("its a good job you had these compartments"), and people are even forgetting the ewok sequences in ROTJ....these were 'roundly' hated by critics and fans...

i'm not saying that any of the PT are gonna win oscars (well they haven't) but in terms of CG they have already been groundbreaking, and GL is breaking barriers every movie he makes...GL cannot write dialogue or direct actors, but he sure can direct a good action shot, and create a unique universe, in which to get immersed - the Star Wars Saga is all about escaping...

Star Wars is a kids movie, there is no denying that, and in his mind, GL has to tell you everything, rather than let you figure it out for yourself, after all not everybody is a 30 something fanboy who knows the backstory, or the key plot points...

by no means am i saying that the PT movies are the best in the world - they are obviously not, but i wish people would stop bashing them because they have some deep-rooted love of the past, Star Wars wasn't a great movie all over, it was a great event and groundbreaking, and thats what people remember...

enough people went to see TPM, more than once, its not the 5th most successful movie in BO take of all time for nothing...and i've been conversing with a lot of fans of the Star Wars movies born since the OT, and most of them prefer the new trilogy...all they know is CGI and Blockbuster explosions...70's hairstyles and 'muppet' like puppets don't impress kids these days...

Raz
07-01-2005, 01:41 AM
Then obi wans ship is attacked by the most ridiculous weapon ever devised: a missile which transforms into little droids which start to take the ship apart. Yeah right, why not just fire an EXPLOSIVE missile and blow up the ship at once? Stupid.

Funniest thing I've read in ages :D

patrick
07-01-2005, 05:07 AM
oh man... i know about that scene with the missile droids. i retract my statement earlier about the stupidist part... that is for SURE the worst... and most specifically the part where obi wan tells r2d2 how to kill them. they are just focused on the droid's stupid fight for about a minute... GOD DAMN IT... i was so angry

big screen satellite
07-01-2005, 05:15 AM
oh man... i know about that scene with the missile droids. i retract my statement earlier about the stupidist part... that is for SURE the worst... and most specifically the part where obi wan tells r2d2 how to kill them. they are just focused on the droid's stupid fight for about a minute... GOD DAMN IT... i was so angry

one reason for these: action figures

King of Snake
07-01-2005, 07:12 AM
GL cannot write dialogue or direct actors, but he sure can direct a good action shot, and create a unique universe, in which to get immersed - the Star Wars Saga is all about escaping...

That's just the thing, I can get immersed in the universe of the old movies (well maybe until the Ewoks show up ;)), but I just have such a hard time getting immersed in the new ones because even the people who made it didn't take it seriously and are constantly winking at me from behind the screen with their goofy little droids saying "uh-oh" and aliens stepping in poo.
That's what's so good about Empire Strikes Back, because there you had a director who actually took the universe of the movie seriously. He says in one of the interviews on the dvd edition something like "I felt it (the movie) needed humour, but yet I couldn't have gags, I felt like it needed romance, but it couldn't have a lot of kissing etc". George Lucas applies the opposite logic, diluting what is supposed to be an epic story of war and loss of freedom with stupid gags and smoochie love scenes. I can't even begin to imagine how much this movie would improve if you would just cut all the bad jokes out.

Star Wars is a kids movie, there is no denying that, and in his mind, GL has to tell you everything, rather than let you figure it out for yourself, after all not everybody is a 30 something fanboy who knows the backstory, or the key plot points...

Actually I thought there were way too many things that were just not explained at all and just seemed to happen for no apparent reason.

by no means am i saying that the PT movies are the best in the world - they are obviously not, but i wish people would stop bashing them because they have some deep-rooted love of the past, Star Wars wasn't a great movie all over, it was a great event and groundbreaking, and thats what people remember...

well I don't have a particular love of Return of the Jedi, but the other the films are just much, much better in almost every respect (that matters). I'm sure the original trilogy has it's moments of bad acting but at least I can watch it without cringing, something that's impossible in most scenes in the new films. And it's not because I hate the actors or anything, I'm sure they can all act pretty good (especially Ewan McGregor) but because of the insanely stupid things they keep saying.
You don't have to compare them to the old Star Wars movies to bash them either, you can just compare it with Lord of the Rings for a present day example of big-budget epic fantasy filmmaking done right.

enough people went to see TPM, more than once, its not the 5th most successful movie in BO take of all time for nothing...and i've been conversing with a lot of fans of the Star Wars movies born since the OT, and most of them prefer the new trilogy...all they know is CGI and Blockbuster explosions...70's hairstyles and 'muppet' like puppets don't impress kids these days...

I guess we can conclude that's quite a sad state of affairs then. We all know that big special effects blockbusters can still rake in the millions even with a dumb plot and bad acting. There are more than enough people who will fall for that sort of thing and kid themselves that they just saw a great movie. Hey, I enjoy watching movies like that too from time to time and especially when you're younger you obviously are less critical of things like plot or acting (I know because for a while I thought Independance Day was the best movie evar! ;)), that doesn't mean it's ok to just forget about that and focus on more CG instead.

big screen satellite
07-01-2005, 07:59 AM
^ KOS i agree with you on almost every count...LOTR trilogy is a masterpiece for one..., and I do think that GL did get lazy or reliant upon CGI, but there is no denying that the PT set of movies have been a great success...

even I cringe at the acting, which i think is the worst part of the PT...little Annie, Ewan, Hayden...even Palpatine overacts a bit too much in ROTS...and yes these elements do spoil the movie to a certain degree, but i think i try and let these gloss over...there are a lot more godawful bits in the PT than any of the OT...the hills are alive scene...but hey i accept that GL hasn't learnt from his lack of scriptwriting ability and dialogue skills and accept the movies as they are...i like the PT as its part of the complete Star Wars Saga...even i appreciate teh finer qualities of the OT...but i have to defend the fact that GL went back and made the PT...

and there are plently of shite movies at the top of the BO takings chart..Titanic being the biggest one...and you can blame GL for almost all of these movies too...after all, over 60 of the top 100 grossing movies of all time were made using IML technology (George's CGI dept.) or by WETA (a company set up by Peter Jackson, inspired by ILM - to assist in the LOTR trilogy)...GL and Star Wars have a lot to answer for...

King of Snake
07-01-2005, 09:15 AM
They have been succesfull, but I think the success is mostly based on the popularity of the originals and the franchise as a whole, and the special effects. And I guess there are a whole lot of devote Star Wars fans who are willing to accept anythin Lucas does and think it's great just because it's Star Wars. Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars and I did enjoy the prequels to a certain degree because it is Star Wars and they do have their place in the saga. It's just that they could have and should have done a whole lot better and when I'm watching these films there's this voice in my head that keeps telling me "come on, you can try to enjoy it but deep inside you know it's crap!" ;)

and there are plently of shite movies at the top of the BO takings chart..Titanic being the biggest one...and you can blame GL for almost all of these movies too...after all, over 60 of the top 100 grossing movies of all time were made using IML technology (George's CGI dept.) or by WETA (a company set up by Peter Jackson, inspired by ILM - to assist in the LOTR trilogy)...GL and Star Wars have a lot to answer for...

can't argue with this. Of course ILM have done some great things (and some not so great) over the years. As for Weta, I think the Peter Jackson/Weta combination is going to give us some really great movies in the future. (currently enjoying all the online making of-video's of King Kong) From everything I've seen of Weta (and believe me I've watched every second of the LOTR extended dvd's) they are an amazingly talented group of people with an equally amazing spirit and work ethos. Something that I'm not so sure about in regards to ILM these days.

//\/\/
07-01-2005, 10:17 AM
goofy little droids saying "uh-oh" and aliens stepping in poo.

that sort of sums things up nicely!

and how come the death star was pretty-well on the way to being built, only to take another 18 years or so? union problems or something?

Forgotten Sanity
07-01-2005, 10:34 AM
Hahaha, good question //\/\/.

Although ROTS was far away the best movie of the prequels, it was still lame. However, there was a definate improvement in the acting, whether or not you discerning viewers want to acknowledge it. Haydn was more natural, and Ewan's performance made his character a lot more easy to sympathize with this time around. My biggest gripe was with Palpatine. He was completely unnatural before his transformation, and was the biggest pile of shit afterwards. If I was Anakin, I would woken the fuck up.

"Hey, I'll do your bidding now."

"GOOOOOOD!!!"

"Uhm... why are you talking like Bela Legosi?"

"Because... you. Have joined. THE DAAAARK SIIIIDE."

"Hey, for real. Stop talking like a vampire. You're making me feel a bit strange."

"GOOOOOOD!!!"

"Whatever man. I'm going back to the force. I liked Mace Windu a lot more than you, and he's been on my shit list since day one. How am I going to take you out in public? You're acting like an idiot, and what's this about killing kids again?"

b.miller
07-01-2005, 11:15 AM
one reason for these: action figures

you know, the more I think about it... the more i'm convinced that my love for the original trilogy was actually more about the toys than the movies. I have all these memories about characters like Hammerhead and the alligator bounty hunter dude who are barely in one shot of the movies but since i had their toys and played with them forever, i loved it. I really don't know how fondly i would remember the Millenium Falcon if i didn't have the toy and couldn't marvel at how cool it was that they had the smuggler's hold built in. Certainly I think Boba Fett gained a lot of popularity because of the toy, simply because he looked like a badass. He was the Star Wars equivalent of Snake Eyes. It all melts together... now with the new ones, since i have to pay for my own toys now rather than just beg on birthdays and christmas, all i have is the movies and they don't quite add up. Even with epi3, if i hadn't seen the Clone Wars cartoon i would've thought that Grevious was really, really lame. I still have problems with him but at least i knew why he was constantly coughing and wheezing. And thanks to playing LEGO Star Wars, I got more out of the kashyyk sequence than what was in the movie. The movie feels like a puzzle with only 75% of the pieces and you have to scrounge around the couch cushions and underneath the bed to collect the whole story. Maybe i need to buy more toys.

Raz
07-01-2005, 11:24 AM
...LOTR trilogy is a masterpiece for one...

It wasn't *THAT* good.

big screen satellite
07-01-2005, 11:46 AM
It wasn't *THAT* good.

well it wasn't bad for a three movie set filmed back to back...it was pretty epic - and did win 11 oscars...(i count the oscars given to ROTK - for all three movies)...

Raz
07-01-2005, 12:24 PM
well it wasn't bad for a three movie set filmed back to back...it was pretty epic - and did win 11 oscars...(i count the oscars given to ROTK - for all three movies)...

Epic in terms of production maybe. Some of those oscars would have been deserved I'm sure but the films didn't work for me. Too many problems (and I'm not talking about plot deviation).

King of Snake
07-01-2005, 02:32 PM
"pretty epic" is a bit of an understatement I'd say :)
In terms of productions maybe? Ummm, well wouldn't you agree that The Lord of the Rings is pretty much THE epic fantasy tale of them all? I mean, it doesn't really get any more epic than that, story-wise. And IMO they did a great job of putting it to film.

cured
07-01-2005, 02:54 PM
what? no mention of the infamous:

"NOOOOOOooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" line?

:D

Forgotten Sanity
07-01-2005, 03:14 PM
"pretty epic" is a bit of an understatement I'd say :)
In terms of productions maybe? Ummm, well wouldn't you agree that The Lord of the Rings is pretty much THE epic fantasy tale of them all? I mean, it doesn't really get any more epic than that, story-wise. And IMO they did a great job of putting it to film.

Yeah, absolutely. I think that it was a big help that they knew that all three were going to be made no matter what, but even then Lucas knew that he was going to have a blank check for the prequels... so go figure. A good story is worth its weight in gold.

Animal Boything
07-08-2005, 06:26 PM
Funny you should mention that, because like LotR, the prequels weren't really made to stand alone, and that's part of the difference between them and the old ones, and part of the reason a lot of people don't like them.

I do like them. I actually am not sure I would call this one better than Attack of the Clones, because I just seriously loved that movie, but it's awfully damn good if you ask me. And I know you didn't, but shut up.

I'm just a dyed-in-the-wool Star Wars fan... what can I say?