PDA

View Full Version : 'Z' - My Morning Jacket

Scott Warner
07-18-2005, 12:32 PM
'Z' by My Morning Jacket may be this year's 'Soft Bulletin' or 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrox'. That's my one listen evaluation. Needs a few more spins before I can sign off on that statement completely.

The evolution of the band's sound isn't as extreme as those two great records but people familiar with the work of Wilco and the Flaming Lips will know what I mean.

den
07-19-2005, 07:34 AM
I've learned to trust Scott unconditionally on things like this.

Trying to find a copy...

Scott Warner
07-20-2005, 10:10 AM
Backing down a bit from the initial comparison. It's a good record. Not a great record like those two. Recommended.

den
07-26-2005, 02:05 AM
After a few listens, I agree, it's quite good. Albums like 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot' and 'Soft Bulletin' are the type that grow on you anyways.

Scott, did you mean that 'Z' is the album-of-the-year like "YHF' and 'SB' were and/or that it actually sounds like those albums? I could see it both ways. It does have that similar emotional yet powerful sound, and the semi-falsetto vocals remind me of the Flaming Lips and even Coldplay, but this album has more balls. I only have 'It Still Moves' which I like very much (Golden is just perfect). I think 'Z' moves away slightly from MMJ's "southern rock" label towards more straight rock (rock as in a weird Flaming Lips sense).

I second the reccommendation. I bet we'll be hearing more about this when it's released in the fall.

winjer
10-09-2005, 09:50 PM
Enjoying after 2 listens.... thanks for the heads up Scott.

den
10-22-2005, 01:43 PM
I'm still liking this, and picked up a real copy the other day. Has anyone seen them live? I heard they put on a good show, and I'd like to hear the new stuff. I found out just today they're playing in town tonight at a sold-out show. Would've been nice. The World Series is the bigger show in town, anyways.

Scott Warner
10-23-2005, 04:52 AM
I meant that comparison more in the sense of a band with a similiar evolution in sound. 'The Soft Bulletin' (or 'Zairerka!' if you want to count that) and 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot' were striking, excellent deviations for the Lips and Wilco, and 'Z' is to a certain extent for My Morning Jacket. My only problem with 'Z' is that it gets a little more average towards the second half of the record.

Still, recommended!

winjer
10-23-2005, 04:11 PM
Yeah, tottally loving it and its getting constant play...

Tiger
09-06-2006, 03:35 AM
went to see em a few weeks ago in manc and what a show these fellas put on, real musicians with a love of performing. must check the album out as only went cos i remembered scott giving the heads on on this, although a friend who came said the albums nowhere near as rocky as the show they put on.

anyways was good to hear the sound of a band with lots of musical influences putting it all in their own melting point and coming up with something distinctive. even if that means one of their songs sounds very pink floyd, still i enjoyed it

if u get a chance go see, the singers got an amazing voice, and the drummer really gives it some

Leon
09-06-2006, 04:10 AM
I really like "Off The Record".

den
09-07-2006, 09:33 PM
I saw them twice this summer, once at free concert in a park, and then at Lollapolooza at the same park exactly one month later. Awesome live performance. I wish they could have played longer. This band is highly recommended, all around. One of my favorites.

Jafs
09-08-2006, 11:58 AM
My Morning Jacket were a must see at the Pukkelpop festival, and I'm very interested by their records now. Thanks for the advice !

Scott Warner
09-08-2006, 12:35 PM
They are one of the best live bands I have ever seen. My love of this band only increases with time. I still don't think they've delivered the album of their career but they're sooooo close.

den
09-16-2006, 01:14 AM
My Morning Jacket & the Boston Pops on Letterman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjLFG0i2_AE)

Stumbled across this while reading about their upcoming fall US tour (http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/38580/My_Morning_Jacket_Announce_Fall_Tour) on pitchfork. Four minutes doesn't do it justice, but this really hints at the genius behind this band.