PDA

View Full Version : One Hundred Years of Solitude

adam
04-02-2006, 06:29 PM
I just finished this book and I'm lost. I don't know what to do, I don't know what to say. I want to do something like go see a movie to distract myself except that it seems wholly inappropriate to occupy my head with any other story so soon.

If you like to read, read this book.

m.g.
04-02-2006, 07:04 PM
I know something that you can do now : read "Love in the Time of Cholera" by the same Gabriel Garcia Marquez ;)

adam
04-02-2006, 07:55 PM
I read an essay about the novel, and then his Nobel Prize speech. His speech was exactly what I was looking for.

I found there to be a lot of stylistic similarities with his writing and Salman Rushdie's. The characterizations are similar, as is the treatment of the absurd.

I think Faulkner is next. Been meaning to get to him for ages.

GforGroove
04-02-2006, 09:50 PM
I just finished this book and I'm lost. I don't know what to do, I don't know what to say. I want to do something like go see a movie to distract myself except that it seems wholly inappropriate to occupy my head with any other story so soon.

If you like to read, read this book.

I love to read.. but you know.. i got so lost that i had to go back many times to catch up.. and the it bored to hell!! I know im crazy.. i never finished this book.. i def should read it sometime..but i tried so hard.

If you liked Marquez, read "Tales of a Shipwrecker" my fav book by him, certainly more than "Love in times of Cholera" and this one.