PDA

View Full Version : Hitchhiker's Guide (tv show) question

joethelion
01-28-2006, 12:46 PM
ok
so I finally got around to renting the tv show. I saw the movie when it came in theaters and loved it... I wasn't up to much - and I figured, why don't I finally see what it was like before the movie

...I realize it didn't start as the TV show - but that's not my question

ok - so my big question:

At the end of the series (or at least the dvd) they finally find out the "ultimate question" to which the answer is supposed to be 42. The question is: What do you get if you multiply six by nine?

...but 6x9 = 54 not 42

and did the tv show seriously end like that? Just abandoning all of the supporting characters - just leaving the main two on earth?

stimpee
01-28-2006, 07:26 PM
you really should read the books. the TV series took in most of the 1st book and a lot of the 2nd book.

joethelion
01-28-2006, 07:36 PM
...do they explain the mathematical error?

I mean - is that supposed to be a joke? Earlier in the series (forget which episode) the main character even says, what's six times seven (or something to that effect)...

arg!

but - I do plan on reading the books.

BeautifulBurnout
01-29-2006, 02:10 AM
ok
so I finally got around to renting the tv show. I saw the movie when it came in theaters and loved it... I wasn't up to much - and I figured, why don't I finally see what it was like before the movie

...I realize it didn't start as the TV show - but that's not my question

ok - so my big question:

At the end of the series (or at least the dvd) they finally find out the "ultimate question" to which the answer is supposed to be 42. The question is: What do you get if you multiply six by nine?

...but 6x9 = 54 not 42

and did the tv show seriously end like that? Just abandoning all of the supporting characters - just leaving the main two on earth?

SPOILER ALERT!!!

No the series most definitely did NOT end like the movie. An enormous chunk, pivotal to the whole concept of the series in the first place, was omitted. The TV series is based on the first two of Adams' books, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

I thought the film was terrible. Truly terrible.

Stephen
01-29-2006, 03:51 AM
I thought the film was terrible. Truly terrible.
With the exception of Bill Bailey's whale, I wholeheartedly agree. I've never been so bewildered by such an unfunny comedy in my life. Having previously had little to no opinion on Sam Rockwell, this film led me to the conclusion that he is, in fact, a cunt.

King of Snake
01-29-2006, 08:03 AM
really? I thought the film was pretty good. And I've read all 6 of the Hitchhiker books :)

joethelion
01-29-2006, 09:20 AM
...but I'm not talking about the movie!

BeautifulBurnout -> what does that have to do with this quite obvious error in math?

or was it supposed to be a joke in itself? like - the big question is wrong

BeautifulBurnout
01-29-2006, 09:30 AM
...but I'm not talking about the movie!

BeautifulBurnout -> what does that have to do with this quite obvious error in math?

or was it supposed to be a joke in itself? like - the big question is wrong

Ah sorry! Misread ya! Thought you mean did the TV series end like the film!

Yes - the big question is wrong. The biggest, most complex, most highly developed computer ever built to find out the question to the answer to the meaning of life, the universe and everything got it wrong. I think probably because of the accidental population by all middle-men, which screwed up the whole equation. (and none of which is even mentioned in the film):mad: ;):D

Malt Refund
01-29-2006, 01:22 PM
Ya that movie was terrible, and I've read everything. I think the movie is okay for people who havent read the books. For most book fans though its like.. ugh.

Stephen
01-29-2006, 02:05 PM
Ya that movie was terrible, and I've read everything. I think the movie is okay for people who havent read the books. For most book fans though its like.. ugh.
Perhaps. Though I haven't read any of the books and I thought it was shit.

The TV series though, from the little of it I've seen, and despite a budget of apparently 'nothing', I've found to be pretty amusing. I wonder which one Adams' himself would have preferred...

joethelion
01-29-2006, 07:25 PM
ok - that makes sense - about the machine being wrong

and it fits into the whole sort of... well I don't know if "dry" would be the proper word, sense of humor of the whole "Hitchhiker's..." universe

I'm going backwards, you know?

like the movie - show - books

honestly, I would never have rented the show (and will be buying it) or even consider reading the books, if it wasn't for the movie, which I thought was very funny.

sure, there were some 'eh' parts... but what are you gonna do? I mean, you can't contain the entire series (either the books or the show) within one movie. As one unit... I thought it was great. I kinda even prefer the Mos Def version of Ford Prefect than the actor on the show.

mmm skyscraper
01-30-2006, 04:47 PM
like the movie - show - books

don't forget the radio dramas!

spoiler for the book

The reason the machine is broken is because modern man descends from aliens who crashed landed on Earth after being banned from their planet. They cleaned telephones or summat.

joethelion
01-30-2006, 06:10 PM
don't forget the radio dramas!

spoiler for the book

The reason the machine is broken is because modern man descends from aliens who crashed landed on Earth after being banned from their planet. They cleaned telephones or summat.

the two main characters (forget their names) actually make that observation in the tv show.... although it's more like a joke - like 'hey, man must come from these bastards, not cavemen!'

and yea - they're hairdressers, telephone sanitisers, people in marketing...