PDA

View Full Version : The good albums of 2005

Animal Boything
07-08-2005, 05:58 PM
Hi, everyone. Good to be back. I'm a little surprised there isn't a thread like this already. Maybe there is and/or I'm dumb.

Anyway, this isn't intended as a top ten list or anything, let's just say a few words about the new albums we're digging so far this year, and see where it goes.

M.I.A. - Arular This is both the most exciting debut album and the best dance album I've heard since probably the Avalanches. It seems almost like a cliché to mention it now since it's topping so many critics' lists already, but holy shit, I can't get enough of this record. It's everything I love rolled into one. I can see this being a real "love it or hate it" sort of thing, because it's so raw, but I'm fully convinced of its worth.

Stephen Malkmus - Face the Truth This is like his eighth great album in a row if you count the Pavement years, so it's hard to think of anything new to say, but it doesn't make it any less great. It's not his best ever, but it's plenty good enough for me.

Spoon - Gimme Fiction Not the best Spoon album (I still think that credit goes to Girls Can Tell) but this band continues to amaze me with their originality and their always good, often great tunes. I keep hoping these guys are going to blow up and sell ten million records, but they seem to hover slightly below the radar. If you haven't already, check them out.

Lou Barlow - EMOH The original lo-fi indie rocker (of Dinosaur Jr., Sebadoh and Folk Implosion fame) Has released a real solo album after years of groups and pseudonyms, and it's quite good. Several of his old bandmates make appearances, and there's a surprisingly awesome cover of "Round-n-Round" by Ratt. And a song about his cat.

Alaska! - Rescue Through Tomahawk I'm always hyping this largely unknown trio to people, mostly because they're nice enough to play a lot of gigs in my shitty town, and because their guitarist fucking shreds. (He's on that Lou Barlow album a little bit too, as well as on the last Folk Implosion record.) Their first album was a little better, I think, but I'm always happy to hear from them. There aren't enough cool guitar bands in America right now so these guys are a precious commodity. They're going on tour with Dinosaur Jr. Pretty soon, and apparently they'll be selling a single which contains a new version of their old song SS, more like the live version, and that makes me want to shriek with joy because that song was always the highlight of their amazing live shows. Bonus fact: the girl who plays the drums is really cute.

That's it for now. I'm usually a bit slow to buy new releases. What have you got?

gambit
07-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Out Hud - Let Us Never Speak of It Again - Out Hud's sophmore album is an album of the year contender. Remarkable work, and I doubt I need to say much about them around here.

Gorillaz - Demon Days - The cartoon band returns with a stunning album. Dan the Automator out; Danger Mouse in, and what a difference. Personally, I feel this album is not only much more varied than their debut but also much much better.

LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem - James Murphy is a master in this debut. It's indie rock meets indie electronic, but even though Murphy puts together great songs, the album doesn't seem to gel. Still, great work altogether.

entropy
07-09-2005, 12:58 AM
konono nr 1 - congotronics
queens of the stone age - lullabies to paralyze

ivan smagghe - fabric 23
alan braxe and friends - the uppercuts
damian lazarus - suck my deck
m.a.n.d.y. - body language vol 1

Dave
07-09-2005, 04:38 AM
I mentioned
Martha Wainwright - Martha Wainwright ,
Eels - Blinking Lights and other Revelations, and
Blueprint - 1988
in the New Discoveries thread.

I'll add to those these favourites from '05...

Iron & Wine - Woman King [ep] - A little different than his previous albums, not as quiet, but just as good. I hope it's a sign of things to come from his new album and collaboration with Calexico

The Lucksmiths - Warmer Corners - This is an aussie band who I heard a lot about but never bothered to check out. I'm glad I did. Sort of like Postal Service but less computer, more guitar.

The Books - Lost and Safe - Third album from these guys. Sort of hard to describe, experimental percussion with sampled dialogue but with an acoustic base which keeps it flowing. Plus more actual singing than their previous two albums. :confused:

Sufjan Stevens - Illonois - Ok, i think I read somewhere (pitchfork?) that he was planning to dedicate an album to every US state. If thats true its kind of amazing that he decided to make Seven Swan's in between Greetings From Michigan and this one. But it's probably not true. Great pop-folk.

+ Lemon Jelly - '64 - '95

Dave

Eikman
07-09-2005, 04:58 AM
Sufjan Stevens - Illonois - Ok, i think I read somewhere (pitchfork?) that he was planning to dedicate an album to every US state. If thats true its kind of amazing that he decided to make Seven Swan's in between Greetings From Michigan and this one. But it's probably not true.

it is true

desperado
07-09-2005, 05:30 AM
Royksopp - The Understanding deluxe - one of must have albums from this year.
Oh and welcome back dirty.org I hope you (Scott & Yannick) are working hardly on tweaking this forum becouse old look and scheme was much better ;)

undarrenworld
07-09-2005, 05:41 AM
No - Waiting For The Sirens Call
The Chemical Brothers - Push The Button
Deep Dish - George Is On

GforGroove
07-10-2005, 10:52 AM
Isoleé- We are monster
Miranda! - Es Mentira
Out Hud - Let us Never speak of it vagain
Ok Cowboy - Vitalic
Demon Days - Gorillaz
Today- mixed by Superpitcher
Krazee - Silvie Marks & HAL9000
Beck-Guero
The Life Acuatic - OST

for now.. :)

Scott Warner
07-10-2005, 11:37 AM
Never Let Us Speak Of It Again by Out Hud
We Are Monster by Isolee
Ok Cowboy by Vitalic
1981 by Markus Guentner
Less Than Human by The Juan Maclean

Dirty0900
07-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Alatt Született - Taking breakcore to a whole new level, utterly amazing stuff.

Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake Its Morning - When hes not wasted and slagging off John Peel and live aid.

Kid Carpet - Ideas And Oh Dears - A collection of 18 very unique sounds all pretty much made from kids instruments and weird samples.

M83 - Before The Dawn Heals Us - Proves he can do it on his own.

DeJackyl
07-10-2005, 02:05 PM
Outside Closer - Hood: Best of the year so far, along with single of the year in 'The Lost You'.

Ok Cowboy - Vitalic: It's already been said, best loud album going right now.

The Milk of Human Kindness - Caribou: Dan Snaith continues to pave the path for a genre all his own.

Our Thickness - The Russian Futurists: Any album this light and cheery sounding that's able to pull me in is a release of the year contender.

Before The Dawn Heals Us - M83: Amazing translation live puts it here where it belongs.

Both the Doves and New Order albums have pleased me greatly in an otherwise rather soft half year for music.

Junk- Coldplay, NIN, Daft Punk, Most of the Billy Corgan effort.

holden
07-11-2005, 05:40 AM
So far this year, i'm a big fan of:

Fischerspooner - Odyssey: very solid album, lots of great hooks, and generally more danceable and less abrasive than #1
Coldplay - X&Y: Say what you will about 'em, this album is a grower, and musically more moving than most pop-rock out there.
Vitalic - OK Cowboy: Pure fun!

a disappointment (sorry if i offend...)
LCD Soundsystem: i didn't think this was anything i hadn't heard on other electro-clash releases. Sure, "Daft punk is playing..." is fun, and it's an enjoyable listen, but none too varied or worth the hype, imo. Sorry!
m83- before the dawn... this is heavier, more noise driven and unnerving than the beautiful analog debut. He's lost a partner and half the magic.
but that's about all i have that's from 2005 :o

dirtytomato
07-11-2005, 08:47 AM
M83 - Before The Dawn Heals Us - Proves he can do it on his own.

Yes! My favorite song for the past couple of months has been Teenage Angst.

Ally
07-12-2005, 11:30 AM
Tom Vek - We Have Sound

Has anyone else sampled this yet?

Animal Boything
07-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Oh, here's a big one I forgot to mention because I haven't got ahold of a legit copy yet:

The Tears - Here Come the Tears This is very exciting news for any Suede fans out there because this band features Suede's original songwriting/singing/guitar team, Brett Anderson and Bernard Butler, together again after more than a decade of "creative differences." This time, Butler is allowed to produce, which is also exciting news if you've heard his production work for such bands as the Libertines and the Veils, or his impressive solo work. The first half of "Here Come the Tears" drags a little in places, but about 2/3 of the time the old magic is in full effect. There are some tracks here that stand up there with the best of Suede's classic material, so it's definitely an essential album. I'm not sure if it'll get a US release, though, unfortunately.

ffolkes
07-12-2005, 09:28 PM
Haven't bought a lot of new records this year, but these were prolly my favs:

Fischerspooner - Odyssey (i loved #1, and i love this as well. very consistent)
Gorillaz - Demon Days (a sprawling record, for better or worse. has great moments.)
Kraftwerk - Minimum Maximum (ok it's a live album, but fuck me if it isn't sweet)

den
07-14-2005, 02:18 AM
The Mountain Goats - The Sunset Tree - A bit more than their usual lo-fi acoustic guitar, but still simple, catchy, and wonderful. John Darnielle really knows how to write a song and tell a story. He also has an interesting and entertaining music blog.
http://mountain-goats.com (http://mountain-goats.com/)
http://www.lastplanetojakarta.com (http://www.lastplanetojakarta.com/)

Black Mountain - s/t - Straight-up fist-pumping catchy psych rock. They're opening for Coldplay in N. America, so look out.
http://www.thewaxmuseum.bc.ca/jwab/index2.html

Hmm, I actually saw both of these bands in concert together.

I'm kind of behind on new music (as always). Thoughts on other mentions, subject to change:

Outhud - Good stuff
Spoon - Good overall
NIN - Decent for NIN, I suppose
Beck - Weak and mostly disappointing
Billy Corgan - Haven't heard much, and while I like Corgan, I'm not really a fan of his synth-sounding stuff.
Weezer - "We Are All on Drugs" is simultaneously the worst and the most genius song they've ever written.
M83 - pbbthh. "Can't Stop" sounds like fucking Mannheim Steamroller. (thought Mannheim Steamroller itself is awesome)
Coldplay - I flipped out when I heard "Talk" and recognized the riff from Kraftwerk's "Computer Love"

groovypanda
07-14-2005, 12:18 PM
in kind of order i guess:

1) the magic numbers the magic numbers
2) arular m.i.a.
3) silent alarm bloc party
4) we are little barrie little barrie
5) hal hal
6) the superimposers the superimposers
7) awfully deep roots manuva
8) let us never speak of it again out hud
9) guero beck
10) exhibit a the features

and some albums i've got recently that sound really good on first few listens but too soon to compare to the above:

we are monster isolee
stars of cctv hard fi
set and drift diefenbach
take london the herbaliser

Animal Boything
07-14-2005, 04:42 PM
As I've pointed out before, I have a real weakness for dirty south rap, and I just bought the long-awaited, just-released Slim Thug - Already Platinum and it's really kicking my ass. It's a thoroughly impressive rap album: no skits, solid production (mostly by the Neptunes) and a lot of clever rhymes. I scored the limited version with a free bonus disc, and it's definitely worth finding because all the extra songs are good. It also has a few "chopped and screwed" remixes of album tracks, which aren't all that effective because Slim Thug's voice is already so deep and his delivery is already so laid-back that slowing it down is overkill, but they're not terrible. This album goes in the "you'll love it if and only if you're into this kind of thing" category, but I am and I do.

Also, it somehow totally slipped my mind when I made this thread that the new Beck album is a 2005 release, and I do quite like that one. It's not as groundbreaking as many of his past releases, but it makes up for that with quality.

Tiger
07-15-2005, 12:44 AM
Tom Vek - We Have Sound

Has anyone else sampled this yet?

no, but love the CC single :) quality pop music

Ally
07-16-2005, 03:26 AM
no, but love the CC single :) quality pop music

C-C is a wicked track. I gave Lukeyd a copy of the album at Glastonbury, waiting on his feedback.

brokenhanger
07-16-2005, 06:28 AM
The new Elbow leaked the other day, and it is stunning. Easilly jumped to the top of the list.

The forthcoming Super Furry Animals record is quite good, too, if not their best. Gruff Rhys's solo album from earlier this year is better.

The new Gravy Train!!!! came out this week, and again it's good if not as good as the last one.

The ODB "Osirus" mix tape from January starts out incredibly strong but loses steam during the last third or so. We miss you, ODB.

I still love the new Nine Inch Nails, I don't care what anyone says. It's a good time and a fantastic return to form from Trent.

The Kaiser Chiefs record is a lot of fun, particularly if you play spot the influence. 'I Predict A Riot' and 'Every Day I Love You Less and Less' are two of the year's finest singles - even if the former came out at the tail end of last year. Shhh, we won't tell anyone.

I hated the early singles, but I quite like the LCD Soundsystem full-length.

The Hidden Cameras just released a new double 7" of demos for next year's full-length, and it is fantastic. It's nice to have these songs I've been hearing live for a year on record now, even if it's not all of them.

There's an EP from an NYC duo named Mommy and Daddy called "Fighting Style Killer Panda" that is quite fun. Similar set up to DFA79 - bass, electronics, vocals - but much more poppy.

The new Supergrass is incredibly mellow but surprisingly good.

The thing is, outside of the Elbow - and I've only heard it a couple of times, so my opinion might change on that - and maybe the Hidden Cameras demos, none of these are "classics". I look at all of them, and they're either just an entertaining diversion or a solid album from an established band that doesn't quite live up to their legacy. In that respect, I'm pretty disappointed in 2005.

Take care,
James

Jafs
07-19-2005, 07:59 AM
Venetian Snares - Rossz Cillag Allat Szuletett
Ochre - A Midsummer Nice Dream
Autechre - Untilted
Royksopp - The Understanding
Jamie Lidell - Multiply
Teebee - The Legacy
Eels - Blinking lights and other revelations
Common - Be
Gorillaz - Demon Days
Vitalic - OK Cowboy
The White Stripes - Get behind Me Satan

morningrise
07-19-2005, 08:27 AM
Howl Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Gimme Fiction Spoon
LCD Soundsystem LCD Soundsystem
Apologies To The Queen Mary Wolf Parade
Silent Alarm Bloc Party

To my ears the M83 record was spotty as was Vitalic's and Caribou's but deserve mentioning. Look forward to Calla and Kanye West's new releases upcoming.

purlieu
07-26-2005, 05:13 AM
Patrick Wolf - Wind In The Wires
Autechre - Untilted
The Coral - The Invisible Invasion
Diane Cluck - Oh Vanille/Ova Nil
Oasis - Don't Believe The Truth
Mercury Rev - The Secret Migration
Six Organs Of Admittance - School Of The Flower
Coldplay - X&Y
The Wedding Present - Take Fountain
Antony & The Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now
The Tears - Here Come The Tears
John Frusciante - Curtains
Queenadreena - The Butcher And The Butterfly
Stereophonics - Language. Sex. Violence. Other?
Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth

Only bad album I've bought this year was Beck which I can't stand.

groovypanda
07-26-2005, 05:26 AM
Only bad album I've bought this year was Beck which I can't stand.and yet you have oasis and the stereophonics on your list... ;)

purlieu
07-26-2005, 05:55 AM
Fair point on Stereophonics, I'll admit they're a bit of a guilty pleasure (although LSVO? is the best since their debut). Don't Believe The Truth is a solid album, though, and a hell of a lot more imaginative and downright fun than Guero. I just think I've become tired of Beck's sound, to be honest. Sea Change was so refreshingly un-Beck, but now it's just the same old.

Bargo
07-28-2005, 01:14 AM
After seeing him support Caribou on his recent Australian tour, I want to give massive props to Mountains in the Sky (http://www.mountainsinthesky.com/)'s album, "Celestial Sun".

It's an absolutely beautiful piece of work. Fans of Manitoba/Caribou, Four Tet and Future Sound of London might really enjoy it, as I can detect a few similarities when I listen. As the album builds to those crashing strings in The Snowcapped Incident I get goosebumps every time.

His visuals during the live performance were bloody fantastic too. Really nice animation pieces. If this album gets an international release, and hopefully it will, check it out.

Review (http://www.inthemix.com.au/reviews/music/21629/)
Label website; able to purchase album from here (http://www.trifekta.com.au/artists/artist.asp?id=32).

Sardo
07-28-2005, 05:03 AM
My albums of the year so far to me, did they come out in 2005? Not sure but who cares - they rule!

Ambulance LTD - "LP" http://www.ambulancenyc.com/
Autolux - Future Perfect http://www.autolux.net/
Swervedriver - Jugganaught Rides http://www.swervedriver.com/

stimpee
07-28-2005, 06:16 AM
Lou Barlow - EMOH The original lo-fi indie rocker (of Dinosaur Jr., Sebadoh and Folk Implosion fame) Has released a real solo album after years of groups and pseudonyms, and it's quite good. Several of his old bandmates make appearances, and there's a surprisingly awesome cover of "Round-n-Round" by Ratt. And a song about his cat.
I always thought Sentridoh was just him and his acoustic guitar. If you havent got any of this stuff and you like all Lou B's other stuff then its worth a listen. This is as lo-fi as it gets believe me.

vacant
07-30-2005, 01:31 AM
Jamie Liddell - Multiply
The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightening, Strike (was that this year or last?)
LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem
The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan
Kaiser Cheifs - Employment

Jafs
07-30-2005, 06:13 AM
The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightening, Strike (was that this year or last?)

It was released at the end of 2004

vacant
07-30-2005, 08:10 AM
It was released at the end of 2004

I thought as much... hmm, another good one then is Oasis - Don't Believe The Truth (no, seriously!)

purlieu
07-30-2005, 08:49 AM
Aye, Don't Believe The Truth is great. Especially after the last three.

Melian the Maia
07-30-2005, 12:07 PM
my list would be:

deep dish - 'george is on'
chemical brothers - 'push the button'
fischerspooner - 'odyssey'
röyksopp - 'the understanding'
maximo park - 'a certain trigger'
new order - 'waiting for the sirens to call'

and

faithless' 'forever faithless: the greatest hits' for old times' sake

Tyler
07-30-2005, 02:14 PM
Check out Ferenc - fraximal on kompakt for some pretty neat kompakt-y techno-house. Some neat acid bits in there too.

jeek
08-23-2005, 06:11 AM
NIN
Sigur Ros
Mars Volta
Autechre
Wedding Present
System Of A Down

purlieu
08-23-2005, 08:12 AM
The Amorphous Androgynous - Alice In Ultraland
Supergrass - Road To Rouen

dubman
08-23-2005, 08:44 AM
in rough but not exact order

jamie lidell - multiply
autechre - untilted
sigur ros - takk
sufjan stevens - illinois
boards of canada - the campfire headphase
MIA - arular
lcd soundsystem - s/t (double disc release)
silver mt zion - horses in the sky
gorillaz - demon days
animal collective - feels
white stripes - get behind me satan
m83 - before the dawn heals us
prefuse 73 - surrounded by silence
out hud - let us never speak of it again
the books - lost and safe
annie - anniemal
beck - guero
kraftwerk - minimummaximum
death in vegas - satans circus (US release)
caribou - milk of human kindness
four tet - everything ecstatic
amina - aminamina
daft punk - human after all
isolee - we are monster
kano - home sweet home
nin - with teeth
vitalic - ok cowboy
misc - crunch time

patrick
08-23-2005, 01:44 PM
gorillaz - demon days
out hud - let us never speak of it again
annie - anniemal
caribou - milk of human kindness
bloc party - silent alarm!!!!!!!
vitalic - ok cowboy
sweatshop union- united we fall!!! (this is awesome)
brian eno -= another day on earth

[/QUOTE]

Cadevil
08-23-2005, 02:51 PM
Chemical Brothers- Push the Button
Bloc Party- Silent Alarm
Gorillaz- Demon Days
Fischerspooner- Odyssey
Coldplay- X&Y
Oasis- Don't Believe the Truth (a couple really solid tracks on there)
James Blunt- Back to Bedlam
Hard-Fi- Stars of CCTV (this may be the album of the year when all is said and done)

IsiliRunite
08-23-2005, 03:20 PM
Duran Duran-Astronaut

jose m
08-24-2005, 01:43 AM
where's the funk?
best album is plantlife all the way !
"like sly,like prince,like jimmy, we came to tear these fuckin' walls down"

Jafs
08-24-2005, 07:53 AM
I've just bought Raveonettes's "Pretty in Black" and I found this cool and fresh. Really good pop/rock from Denmark.

patrick
08-24-2005, 01:43 PM
jose m... this plantlife albumn is funk? i'm SUPER into funk, i just can never find some

monkeyboy
08-25-2005, 12:26 PM
Bloc Party - Silent alarm

Death From Above 1979 - You're A Woman, I'm A Machine

LCD Soundsystem - Self titled

Dalek - Absence

Ellen Allien - Thrills

entropy
08-26-2005, 07:17 PM
va - famous when dead iv

01_recloose_-_cardiology_(isolee_remix)-fgz.mp3
02_captain_coatose_-_up_in_flames-fgz.mp3
03_spektrum_-_kinda_new_(tiefschwarz_dub)-fgz.mp3
04_villalobos_-_dexter_(two_lone_swordsmen_remix)-fgz.mp3
05_fabric_lig_-_meet_u_in_brooklyn-fgz.mp3
06_losoul_feat._malte_-_you_know-fgz.mp3
07_isolee_-_schrapnell-fgz.mp3
08_my_my_-_klatta-fgz.mp3
09_john_tejada_and_arian_leviste_-_gericatrics-fgz.mp3
10_max_mohr_-_old_song-fgz.mp3
11_lindstrom_-_i_feel_space-fgz.mp3
12_rework_-_think_its_too_late-fgz.mp3

chino
08-26-2005, 10:04 PM
I've just bought Raveonettes's "Pretty in Black" and I found this cool and fresh. Really good pop/rock from Denmark.

I don't think this album is that fresh, is nothing but recycling old sounds.

However Jafs, I must admit I like it aswell.:p

Jafs
08-27-2005, 01:17 AM
I don't think this album is that fresh, is nothing but recycling old sounds.

Yes yes. It remembers me The Caesars old times(39 minutes of bliss, even if it's more garage orientated).

groovypanda
08-27-2005, 03:55 AM
some recent additions i'm loving:

the tourniquet magnet - evan's 2nd long player is more of a grower than on your side but well worth giving it a chance

love kraft super furry animals - what can you say, the furries continue to plow their own furrow of musical innovation and cracking pop tunes. outstanding :cool:

supernature goldfrapp - extremely accomplished third album from former orbital cohort

veneer jose gonzalez - interesting folksy album from scandinavia. not on the album but well worth tracking down is his interpretation of kylie's hand on my heart

little things hanne hukkelberg - more great downtempo music from norway, this one with a real organic feel to it as ms hukkelberg uses everything from bicylce spokes, bottle brushes & banjos to create her sound.

based on a true story fat freddys drop - excellent dub/soul from new zealand

Jafs
08-27-2005, 09:25 AM
05_fabric_lig_-_meet_u_in_brooklyn-fgz.mp3

New album on the way ?

chino
08-27-2005, 02:17 PM
Yes yes. It remembers me The Caesars old times(39 minutes of bliss, even if it's more garage orientated).

you know that my boyfriend's back (or something like that) track, has like 50's romantic songs mood. it even remind me from an existing song.

lukeyd
08-27-2005, 02:30 PM
the tourniquet magnet - evan's 2nd long player is more of a grower than on your side but well worth giving it a chancebuying this soon. LOVED the first one so much
based on a true story fat freddys drop - excellent dub/soul from new zealandmy uncle has recommended this to me, so i'll give it a listen this weekend when im over at his

goldfish
08-27-2005, 03:07 PM
Beck - Guero
Sufjan Stevens - C'mon feel the Illinoise
Shortwave Set - The Debt Collection
Vitalic - OK Cowboy
MIA - Arular
Fourtet - Everything Ecstatic
Caribou - Milk of Human Kindness
St Etienne - Tales from Turpike House
Handsomeboy Technique - Adelie Land
Royksopp - The Understanding

Shortwave Set, Handsomeboy and Sufjan my most listened to of the year.

Honourable mentions to Kaiser Chiefs (...Riot still rules) and Clor (Love and Pain is teh awesom) and boo hiss to the dismal Magic Numbers (Matt, I'm ashamed to know you).

Simon

entropy
08-27-2005, 07:00 PM
New album on the way ?

cant say

theres a best of out next month

Animal Boything
08-28-2005, 08:29 PM
Common - Be A great laid-back, soulful hip-hop record, just long enough to have some variety without getting tired. "The Corner" is an instant classic.

entropy
08-28-2005, 10:59 PM
it blows

as does late registration

Jafs
08-29-2005, 01:11 AM
cant say

theres a best of out next month

Last friday I've met a guy who will release a 12" on his label, "Melodica". It's due for september.

mmm skyscraper
09-06-2005, 07:13 PM
Delia Gonzalez & Gavin Russom - The Days of Mars

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
09-06-2005, 08:10 PM
hands down - M83's latest (even the over-dramaish will grow on you).

Am I too old to be a groupie??? WTF I'm working this shit like a 15 year old with spiked, bleached hair when it comes round town.

And is it too soon to consider this guy the Prince of the new MM???

And Skinny Puppy's last is just as good in all it's bitter gloriousness.

b.miller
09-06-2005, 09:30 PM
Delia Gonzalez & Gavin Russom - The Days of Mars

is it? The Juan Maclean's album is not too shabby either...

Renze
09-09-2005, 01:06 PM
I was going to say Andreas Tilliander - "World Industries" cos I thought it was released this year but damn it was fall 2004 :O Time really is flying...

Best track on that album has to be "Love me Like I do" because of that great 303 like lead.

Boards of Canada's new album is also one of the best I've heard this year.

dog
09-10-2005, 11:23 AM
Boards of canada campfire headphase
The Arcade Fire funeral

chino
09-10-2005, 03:25 PM
The Arcade Fire funeral
it was from 2004, wasn't it?
But i do love it aswell.

dog
09-11-2005, 12:14 AM
was it indeed - then i'm way behind :D

GforGroove
09-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Is jooris vorn-future history already mentioned?
if not..add to the list.

entropy
09-11-2005, 05:58 PM
good record but its 2004

Jafs
09-12-2005, 12:59 AM
good record but its 2004

Yes, and I remember it was released in november.

Dirty0900
09-12-2005, 06:43 AM
Elbow - Leaders Of The Free World

Bought it today but had it downloaded for a while, full of beauty and emotion.

Animal Boything
09-12-2005, 05:06 PM
it blowsAre you sure you're not thinking of YOUR DAD?

entropy
09-12-2005, 11:38 PM
your post lacks class

Sardo
09-14-2005, 04:17 AM
Riddle Of Steel - Got This Feelin'
The Life and Times - Suburban Hymns
Minus the Bear - Menos El Oso
Decoder Ring - Fractions

all very good

BeautifulBurnout
09-14-2005, 12:00 PM
Best Album for me so far this year has been Fabric Live 23 - Death in Vegas.

Tracklist and review here. (http://www.popmatters.com/music/reviews/d/deathinvegas-fabriclive23.shtml)

Leon
09-14-2005, 12:31 PM
Sufjan Stevens - Feel The Illionise!

Dangerdoom - The Mouse And The Mask
Just got this and it rocks.

chino
09-14-2005, 04:57 PM
was it indeed - then i'm way behind :D

so do I, believe me:)

GforGroove
09-15-2005, 08:32 AM
I think i'll go for We are Monster by Isolee
followed closely by Let us Never speak again by OutHud

Winston
09-15-2005, 08:40 AM
Is jooris vorn-future history already mentioned?
if not..add to the list.

within 2 weeks it's his release party in fuse, yay

he's gonna do a liveset :cool:

ndrwrld
09-15-2005, 11:18 AM
i'm really digging Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl.

brokenhanger
09-15-2005, 12:21 PM
It's not technically new, but the deluxe edition of Sonic Youth's "Goo" is one of the finest things to ever hit the compact disc format. Fucking amazing.

Kennrr
09-16-2005, 12:30 AM
Dangerdoom - The Mouse And The Mask
Just got this and it rocks.

i'm undecided on this. MF Doom is my favorite, and dangermouse beats is tight but, i don't know yet. undecided but good so far.

Leon
09-16-2005, 01:21 AM
i'm undecided on this. MF Doom is my favorite, and dangermouse beats is tight but, i don't know yet. undecided but good so far.

Yeah, my first listen was a bit undecided, as it's not "groundbreaking" or anything. Still, the production is very tight, and it has kinda catchy sounds, and MF Doom's voice is just ace!

patrick
09-17-2005, 05:08 AM
Yeah, my first listen was a bit undecided, as it's not "groundbreaking" or anything. Still, the production is very tight, and it has kinda catchy sounds, and MF Doom's voice is just ace!
i thnk the worst part about this potential fabulous albumn is the kids voices spread out the whole albumn. I HATE skits almost 99% of the time, since they just ruin great records like this one... Doing a little manual editing on some of the songs would improve the flow of the record in my opinion

Leon
09-17-2005, 06:34 AM
i thnk the worst part about this potential fabulous albumn is the kids voices spread out the whole albumn. I HATE skits almost 99% of the time, since they just ruin great records like this one... Doing a little manual editing on some of the songs would improve the flow of the record in my opinion

I can understand if people don't like skits, though personally I think it's ok... In Mince Meat it actually works pretty cool I think. As long as they don't use too cheesy lines I think it's ok.
Btw, I have a bad recording so lots of clips and stuff, but it's also CENSORED! argh! :p

monkeyboy
09-20-2005, 09:31 AM

The kids voices are spread around because the whole album is based on late-night cartoon network shows like Aqua Teen Hunger Force (see track 7). Just click the link below.

http://www.epitaph.com/bands/index.php?id=451

patrick
09-20-2005, 12:01 PM
ya, my brother told me about that. i don't think hat it is a good excuse... it still makes the albumn worse than it could have been.

Dave
09-22-2005, 12:22 AM
I didn't like this one much.

ya, my brother told me about that. i don't think hat it is a good
excuse... it still makes the albumn worse than it could have been.
Agreed. I think the little skits were lame and not at all funny.

MF Doom's voice is just ace!
He does have a cool voice but I find his delivery plain and boring.

Kennrr
09-22-2005, 03:57 AM
I didn't like this one much.

Agreed. I think the little skits were lame and not at all funny.

He does have a cool voice but I find his delivery plain and boring.

what i love most about MF Doom is his effortless word flow, the man spits it out effortlessly.

well i really don't mind the skits at all, expecially for what it is. The album is pretty much music inspired by adult swim shows, which is what i'm really undecided about. like the track where doom describes each of the aqua teen hungerforce characters...
I mean if you listen to any mf doom album you'll hear skits. regardless, having meatwad do beef rap is pretty dope imho.

dubman
09-22-2005, 07:51 AM
what i love most about MF Doom is his effortless word flow, the man spits it out effortlessly.

well i really don't mind the skits at all, expecially for what it is. The album is pretty much music inspired by adult swim shows, which is what i'm really undecided about. like the track where doom describes each of the aqua teen hungerforce characters...
I mean if you listen to any mf doom album you'll hear skits. regardless, having meatwad do beef rap is pretty dope imho.

oh my god i think i will have to get this.

thee carp dreamer
09-23-2005, 04:03 AM
Top 10

01 : Jamie Lidell – Multiply

02 : LCD Soundsystem – LCD Soundsystem

03 : Out Hud – Let Us Never Speak Of It Again

04 : The Juan Maclean – Less Than Human

05 : !!! – Take Ecstasy With Me / Get Up

06 : Sigur Rós – Takk…

07 : Venetian Snares – Rossz Csillag Alatt Született

08 : The Mars Volta – Frances The Mute

09 : Bloc Party – Silent Alarm

10 : Maximo Park – A Certain Trigger

oh, and i should really get round to hearing the delia gonzales/gavin russom lp, and the new black dice lp. and i haven't heard the boc one yet, cos i'm on a 56k...

other honourable mentions:
Mogwai – Government Commissions

Tom Vek – We Have Sound

Venetian Snares – Winnipeg Is A Frozen Shithole

oh, and as far as mp3 releases go:

MOSCA - ACID HOOLIGAN EP
rocks my fucking socks.

wam
09-23-2005, 03:47 PM
soulwax nite versions..........!!!!!!

just released;)

Jafs
09-24-2005, 01:13 AM
soulwax nite versions..........!!!!!!

just released;)

I listened to their Live show yesterday, it was played live on a local radio here, funny.

gambit
10-03-2005, 10:51 PM
Haven't read through the entire thread, but has anybody checked out Deep Dish and Timo Maas? DD's artist album "George Is On" is fantastic (features Stevie Nicks on one song, and it works) and Timo Maas's second album "Pictures" is dark solid. Both great ass-shakers. :D

Jafs
10-04-2005, 06:11 AM
And Isolée "Rest" is just reissued.

absolute zero
10-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Franz Ferdinand - you could have it so much better
Fischerspooner - Odyssey
Swayzak - Sounds from the Bergerie (i got it last month even though it came out last year)
Avenue D - Bootleg (also released last year)
Chem. Bros. - push the button
Royksopp - the Understanding
Ladytron - Witching Hour (is it me or does the track "amtv" sound exactly like Lali Puna?)
DM- playing the angel (they're coming to newyork for a cd signing- i'm gonna faint!!)

disappointing: M.I.A.-Arular (I think i only liked galang + 2-3 other songs, i know i'd probably enjoy her live more), Low - the Great Destroyer, Bjork - Drawing Restraint 9, New Order - Waiting for the Siren's Call

thee carp dreamer
10-05-2005, 01:17 AM
I listened to their Live show yesterday, it was played live on a local radio here, funny.

saw soulwax nite versions live 2 nights ago. rocked the fuckin house. as did 2manydjs....:D:D

Stephen
10-05-2005, 02:41 AM
saw soulwax nite versions live 2 nights ago. rocked the fuckin house. as did 2manydjs....:D:DThey were at the custard factory in Birmingham on Friday night. I had the best night out I've had in ages, despite the £20 cover charge. Not least because I spent it in the company of a beautiful girl dancing like freaks to Teenage Kicks and Da Funk etc.

purlieu
10-05-2005, 04:08 AM
I'm relisting mine now:
The Amorphous Androgynous - Alice In Ultraland
Patrick Wolf - Wind In The Wires
Autechre - Untilted
The Coral - The Invisible Invasion
Gregg Jackson - Elephant Juice
Diane Cluck - Oh Vanille/Ova Nil
Oasis - Don't Believe The Truth
Mercury Rev - The Secret Migration
Six Organs Of Admittance - School Of The Flower
Coldplay - X&Y
John Frusciante - Curtains
Supergrass - Road To Rouen
Sigur Rós - Takk...
The Tears - Here Come The Tears
Sufjan Stevens - Illnois
The Wedding Present - Take Fountain
Multi-Panel - Alone In The Field
Franz Ferdinand - You Could Have It So Much Better
Antony & The Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now
Devendra Banhart - Cripple Crow
Queenadreena - The Butcher And The Butterfly
Stereophonics - Language. Sex. Violence. Other?
Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth

Renze
10-05-2005, 07:37 AM
I'd like to add Deadbeat - "New World Observer" cos I like the minimal ambient dub.

GreenPea
10-05-2005, 08:06 AM
Heh..so far:

Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise!
Serena Maneesh - s/t
Broken Social Scene - s/t
Animal Collective - Feels
The Fiery Furnaces - EP
M83 - Before the Dawn Heals Us
M.I.A. - Arular
Boards of Canada - The Campfire Headphase