PDA

View Full Version : Royksopp - The Understanding

Malt Refund
07-07-2005, 06:53 AM
What a pleasent album. Flows nicely from track to track but no single tracks really stand out like the last album, which had a few. Not that it matters. I love 49 Percent but when I play it for people they can't stand it. ;(

groovypanda
07-07-2005, 06:55 AM
I love 49 Percent but when I play it for people they can't stand it. ;(that's my favourite track too :)

"49%, 1% short of half, but less than half ain't really much of nothing..."

quite often find myself driving home from work singing along loudly (and probably badly) to that track...

matt

holden
07-07-2005, 07:47 AM
i've only heard a montage of the album on Astralwerks' site, and also "Only This Moment", which is lovely. Sounds much more lyrics-driven and a lot like Air in spots. "Melody A.M." had such a great feeling (it reminds me of autumn for some reason), so i'm hoping they recapture that magic here.

Leon
07-07-2005, 07:52 AM
It's very easy listening and listening to Only This Moment got me in the same vibe as Orbital's Halycon On On got me: Staring into space for half an hour, completely in trance. Lovely! I got the album and at the moment "Boys" is my favourite, really sweet! There were some songs that really didn't grab me though.

//\/\/
07-07-2005, 07:57 AM
"Staring into space for half an hour, completely in trance"

that's my new favourite image of leon!

holden
07-07-2005, 08:04 AM
It's very easy listening and listening to Only This Moment got me in the same vibe as Orbital's Halycon On On got me: Staring into space for half an hour, completely in trance.

Especially impressive since it's only a 9 minute song:D !

Very easy listening? Hmmm...i thought this was supposed to be more danceable? Not that "Poor Leno" and "royksopp's night out" didn't make me move, but i hoped for more beats on "Understanding".

Leon
07-07-2005, 08:27 AM
Especially impressive since it's only a 9 minute song:D !

Very easy listening? Hmmm...i thought this was supposed to be more danceable? Not that "Poor Leno" and "royksopp's night out" didn't make me move, but i hoped for more beats on "Understanding".

It has tons more beats than Melody A.M. I mean easy listening as in ''easy to understand'' melodies. It's not like Underworld, where you have to listen to a song over and over and over before you finally get it.

patrick
07-07-2005, 09:30 AM
can't get into this albumn like the last one. i just haven't given it the chance it deserves because i got numerous other albumns at the same time that i am paying much more attention too...

GforGroove
07-07-2005, 10:12 AM
i like 'Beautiful day (without you) and that's it. Sounds like Cafe del Mar compilation
really disspointing... Whn i saw them live they played some tryppy hippie electronic stuff that i was waiting i this album. Wasn't expecting this at all and the cover is awfull! bu. :(

stimpee
07-07-2005, 11:13 AM
this album is much more mainstream. some of the songs are just too sugary sweet. but i like most of the instrumentals. its trying to be more immediate than the other album but its moving towards the bland rather than the intriguing. gonna take some more listening though. my opinions might change.

holden
07-07-2005, 12:36 PM
the cover is awfull! bu. :(

I'd agree. Too gothic or something, with the freaked out/tripping girl, viney bed and those two goblins in the background. i miss the cold font and clouds of Melody AM

Malt Refund
07-07-2005, 03:34 PM
They seem to be using their own vocals this time around right? You gotta love when electronic dudes start singing, it's always that raspy "i cant sing so well but its my band so why not?" voice that Squarepusher does when he sings. Anyway I like it, it got my head moving. Not at all disapointed, even in the vocals.

mkb
07-07-2005, 04:23 PM
looks like there's a tour planned. there's a boston date, at least.

entropy
07-08-2005, 02:27 AM
zzz

try the braxe remix of only

stimpee
07-08-2005, 05:19 PM
entropy: its not too late to dump your username. its been soiled by DJ entropy now. i cant look at your comments without thinking of "America's #1 Hardcore DJ/producer". sorry.

entropy
07-09-2005, 01:02 AM
its not too late to shut the fuck up

Moogle
07-09-2005, 04:30 AM
I really like this album, more than Melody AM.
Even if it's less experimental, more easy listening, I really love those beautiful songs.

undarrenworld
07-09-2005, 05:53 AM
I really like this album, more than Melody AM.
Even if it's less experimental, more easy listening, I really love those beautiful songs.

I think that Melody AM is still better, but i must say that i really love this new album...;)

holden
07-18-2005, 05:36 AM
(BUMP!...since this only came out in the US last week)

Well, having heard "The Understanding" for myself, gotta say it's a strong disc. If i'd never heard "Melody AM" and this was my first exposure to Royksopp, i'd be very impressed...the beats are tight, the vocals breathy and desperate, and it has an amazing atmosphere throughout...like you've had too much caffeine or are in between panic and peril. It's quite a grower, too...liking it more with each listen, and making less comparisons to the previous LP.

"Only this moment" is a beautiful single, and the empassioned wails of the very Bjork-like female vocalist are dramatic but not overdone.

"49 Percent" has such a cool glitchy beat to it...i've seen it compared to Underworld's "Pearl's Girl" and Prince, but it is neither...something that starts very cold and barren, and by the end is full of positivity and warmth. They've been playing a live version of this since at least 2001, also.

"Follow My Ruin" is pure funk, and t he early bars sound a LOT like "Face to Face" by Daft Punk.

"Alpha Male" is for me the highlight of the album...much harder than most everything else (excepting maybe "Royksopp's Night Out" from the last one).

i hope this one catches on as well as their first record, because they've definitely matured and this is by no means a disappointment, imho!

chino
07-18-2005, 08:20 PM
Sounds like Cafe del Mar compilation
really disspointing...

awful!
:eek:
guacala

undarrenworld
07-19-2005, 03:54 AM
awful!
:eek:
guacala

Whats bad about Cafe Del Mar?
U know when u are listening to cds its not the same like hear it live there...:cool:

U would love that for sure ;)

Jafs
07-19-2005, 07:52 AM
Nice to see that someone made this topic again, since the last forum ;)

entropy
07-19-2005, 09:14 PM
nothing like a fresh stick to prod royksopp with