PDA

View Full Version : Any writers around here?

gambit
07-06-2005, 10:22 PM
I'm curious, are there any writers other than myself here at the Dirty forums? Anyone have anything published?

holden
07-07-2005, 07:54 AM
i used to fancy myself a writer, mostly of poetry and very short stories. When i was 18 or 19, it seemed like a very good idea for venting, and i have several binders of unpublished poems and a few novella-type things. No time for it nowadays, unfortunately. Looking back on it, it's all pretty much "i'm so sad, the world's confusing" sort of stuff:o

Well, now i write science journal articles. Published or in review, but not widely read.

What kind of work do you write? i think coming up with a believable universe through words is one of the hardest sorts of arts...so all the best to you!

gambit
07-07-2005, 09:57 AM
I write fiction, but I don't have anything published yet. I personally couldn't write a poem to save my life, and I admire those who can write verse, especially in any kind of structure. A few people on the forums here have read my work, and one of the reasons I started this thread was to start a writing circle of some sort where we'd all read each others' work and give each other feedback. I'm in desperate need of reliable and timely proofreaders, and other writers would be ideal proofreaders.

adam
07-07-2005, 10:02 AM
I know, I've hardly been timely. I'm a jerk.

b.miller
07-07-2005, 11:16 AM
yeah i am flirting with the whole writing thing.. my output has been erratic though. I've mostly just written a few short stories although some of them aren't that short (last one was about 35 pages) and through a website I used to run i've self-published a book of film trailer reviews. self-published, i know. i don't really count that as published, but it is cool to be able to hold your work in your hands as a book.

gambit
07-07-2005, 12:07 PM
I know, I've hardly been timely. I'm a jerk.
Yeah, you bastard. ;)

Actually, you've been much more punctual than a few people around here.

adam
07-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Going to a show tonight, I'll definitely write it up this weekend.

holden
07-07-2005, 12:38 PM
I started this thread was to start a writing circle of some sort where we'd all read each others' work and give each other feedback. I'm in desperate need of reliable and timely proofreaders, and other writers would be ideal proofreaders.

Good idea! i'd be up for that...

grady
07-07-2005, 03:50 PM
I like the idea of flirting with the idea of writing. I've been doing that more seriously the past 6-8 months now. Nothing I've produced I would be ready to pass around just yet, but it mainly is stuff that starts out as small pieces of something bigger, or little sketches that turn into short stories. Spent close to five hours or so today writing and scribbling out notes at work today. My goal was to have something tangible by my birthday which is the 27th of this month. What that tangible something might end up being would be a short story I have been working on and tinkering with that has been growing and festering since I had the idea for it on a flight back from Hawaii on December 28th of last year.

At the moment I've been splitting my time with writing personal things, ie fiction, and working on this book review for the new Bret Easton Ellis novel Lunar Park. I've been trying to do three or four passes at it, each pass being subsequently different in tone and structure. Like one is in the vein of the NY Times Book review, then another is a shorter one in length maybe 300-350 words. Then a long detailed gushing sort of thing. So far I've not been terribly pleased with the output and have gone about re-reading the book along with a small little moleskine notebook to note all the little instances that tie into what I want to discuss in the review.

Ally
07-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Yeah I've done quite a lot of writing..

gambit
07-07-2005, 10:21 PM
So who else is up for a writing group? Holden's in; I'm in. Anyone else? Just for reference, if I send you one of my short stories that may take like 10 minutes to read, I'd like (or rather expect) feedback in the next day or two. The main problem I'm having is sending people work to read which shouldn't take long to proofread and not seeing the feedback for months, if at all. A day or two is what I consider timely for a 4 page story.

adam
07-07-2005, 11:03 PM
I know, I know! I get it! I fuckin' forgot! Lay off, okay?!

I'm just kidding. I really am sorry 'bout that. Sincerely. I went through what you're going through, it's the most frustrating thing in the world (except mine was with a fucking novel I had written).

I wouldn't mind being on the feedback-providin' list, though I don't have much to contribute in terms of compositions.

gambit
07-07-2005, 11:06 PM
It's okay. Really. I've gotten used to it by now as a little bit of my life drains away with each passing moment. But really. It's okay. :D

(Seriously, I understand. Life unexpectedly kicks you in the ass from time to time.)

b.miller
07-08-2005, 11:29 AM
so when you say proofread, do you mean provide you with feedback on a thematic, character, plot level or fixing typos and shit... cuz i hate gramamr and spell-checking my own shit well enough not to want to do it for you too :P

gambit
07-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Heh, don't worry too much about grammar and spelling. I'm quite good at that myself, and I can catch the majority of my own mistakes. And I could certainly help you on that, but yes, mostly theme, characters, plot, dialogue, and any obvious mistakes.

grady
07-08-2005, 02:36 PM
So when should we start this? I need to polish up a few things and maybe even start something fresh and new.

gambit
07-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Now is as good a time as any, I suppose. PM me with your email address (everyone who wants to be involved), and we can get this thing kicking.

B.miller, you in? Anyone else?

b.miller
07-08-2005, 03:39 PM
yeah i'll be "in" :)

PMing now...

grady
07-08-2005, 04:08 PM
im in and also PM'ing now.

myrrh
07-10-2005, 06:37 PM
As long as you guys aren't writing novels to read, I'll sign up.

I know how to write too. Some say my poetry is pretty tight. ;) I am thinking about writing some sort of short story. Though it hasn't been developed past the idea of writing a short story, yet.

gambit
07-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Heh, well, I don't have a novel written yet, but if anyone is writing one, then we can go chapter by chapter. Welcome aboard myrrh.

Riko
07-12-2005, 09:38 AM
i've been writing for newspapers and magazines for years. it's fun work.

gambit
07-12-2005, 12:58 PM
What kind of work have you written? Columns, reviews, articles?

Riko
07-20-2005, 11:37 AM
i started out writing concert and album reviews, then got into news writing, profiles, features, columns, etc. i worked full-time for newspapers and magazines, then sold out and took a writing job in the corporate world, and it's turned out to be more fun and rewarding than i expected. for a while i was pretty agressive about free-lancing on the side, and did stuff for details, entertainment weekly, the onion and others, but then i decided to spend the time goofing around with dj mixes instead. ;)

nicnuxx
07-21-2005, 02:35 AM
I won a scholarship to the Cornell University creative writing program for college. I won this essay contest. Bleh I should have done that. But I wanted to do science and sunshine in MD. Whee!

I have done my own zines, edited for press releases on the AP, worked as an editor at an online journal, co - wrote something in college that was performed at my University. I also edited my ex boyfriends masters thesis for grammatical errors.It was on neural passageways, the superior olivary nucleus and synthetic nerve passageways. FUNTIMES!

bleh but I only blog as of lately.

I journaled pre blogging since i was 8 years old.:D