PDA

View Full Version : Brokeback Mountain

Deckard
12-14-2005, 11:00 AM
So the the critic Michael Medved said on Good Morning America this week, "This is going to be a very tough movie to sell. For most American guys who are not gay, there's a 'yewwwww' factor to the idea of Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger getting too up-close and personal onscreen."

Hmmm.

The film's leading the pack with Golden Globe nominations, is receiving much critical acclaim, and seems mainstream in every other way.

Question for all the straight males on this forum - do you think the "yewwww" factor may put you off going to see this one?

mmm skyscraper
12-14-2005, 11:32 AM
It makes me wonder what the reaction would be if it were girls instead of guys.

The fact that Heath Ledger is in it puts me off regardless of the content.

GreenPea
12-14-2005, 11:56 AM
More than the gay stuff what turns me off is the cowboy setting :p

The girl in there is cute though.

adam
12-14-2005, 12:04 PM
It doesn't interest me, exactly, but the acclaim it's getting will probably get me to go see it. There's less than two minutes of the making out in a 170 minute movie, apparently. (I might have those numbers off).

What I'm really curious about is that I'm wondering whether people are raving about it just because, like, "Look, we're praising a mainstream movie about homosexuals! Look how progressive we are!" I mean, I'm curious to see if it's as good as people are saying on it's own merits, or whether there are politics involved in liking it.

The New Yorker reprinted the short story that it's based on. I'm sure you can find it if you google it. I read it the other day...didn't really have much to say about it either way.

grady
12-14-2005, 04:25 PM
I saw the film a couple days back and I was farmilar with Annie Proulx short story after reading it in a collection of her work a few years ago. Neither the homosexual nature (the 'yewwwww' factor Deckard) of the story nor the western aspect was a detraction from me seeing it.

Putting those two elements aside for a moment, the film is exquisitely made and the cinematography is beautiful, but I wasn't as WOWED by it as everyone else seems to be among the critical community. It is definently a good film, but not great in my opinion. Both Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal are very good in the film, but Ledger is definently stronger.

The sexual nature of the film is not really graphic in anyway aside from two men kissing and being in each others company sans clothing. It's amusing to hear how people are discussing the reaction to male audiences, but the film is really being marketed in the opposite direction, towards the female crowd. The film is more of a love story set in Wyoming than a gay cowboy romp like some make it out to be.

Are there some people here who will not see the film on the basis of it's subject matter?

dubman
12-14-2005, 04:32 PM
seems allright. there isn't anything to be put off by with homosexualism.
people are gay, and people have jobs, and the sky is blue.

shouldn't be that wierd in a movie.

but since good morning america's only job is to keep the early viewers awake during their coffee, they're allowed to be really boring like that.

adam
12-14-2005, 04:53 PM
Somebody around here made some weird homophobic comment once (can't remember who), but I think for the most part we're better than that. :)

mmm skyscraper
12-14-2005, 06:03 PM
Are there some people here who will not see the film on the basis of it's subject matter?

Sure, but I don't really see any drama/love stories. I mean if it was any combination of gender/people, I would probably skip it. At least at the theater.

In the original story, aren't the two guys a lot less attractive than in the movie?

grady
12-14-2005, 06:56 PM
In the original story, aren't the two guys a lot less attractive than in the movie?

I don't remember very much in the way of description of the two guys in the story. It seemed very sparse and simple.

the mongoose
12-14-2005, 11:02 PM
So which one's the bitch?:D

dubman
12-14-2005, 11:05 PM
both of them because they love and trust each other!

(i don't know how else to answer that)

b.miller
12-14-2005, 11:11 PM

I'm sure that would be the first time that's every happened too. EVER.

I bet Fight Club is way gay-er than this.

I bet at it's best, it will be Ang Lee mastering yet another genre like he did with Ice Storm and Crouching Tiger... but at it's worst it could be filled with grasps at straws like Hulk was. From what I hear though, it's more the former. Plus you have McMurtry on the script.. I dunno. I haven't seen it but it's probably good. My only fear is that it's good in the same way that a movie like The English Patient was good, e.g. incredibly boring for me.

UPDATED: saw it today. it was good in that completely expected way. Anne Hathaway: personally I don't see it but oh well. I was totally waiting for a little Cardellini boob action since we got some from the two other women but no dice... I'd say Ang Lee did a good job... it was pretty... the late-70s texas fashion and home decor was funny and probably accurate. An old couple did leave about half way through though, and some other jerkass laughed whenever there was a serious moment between the two leads. oh yeah drama is so hilarious and we all feel better now that you've laughed to dispel how uncomfortable you are because you don't like seeing stubble rub against stubble. Gotcha.

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
12-28-2005, 10:34 AM
Funny thing on this one for me is I'll be waiting for the video release as I don't really get into dramas at the film house. No special effects on the big screen puts me to sleep.

nat
12-28-2005, 12:51 PM
i saw this a few days ago, and it just didn't do it for me. i liked the story. it was cute n sad. but i seriously didn't get any emotion out of it. if these guys couldn't stand to live apart, i sure didn't see it or feel it.

i'm not sure why the critics are praising it as they are. quite possibly the political factor. that aside, the cinematography was great. as was the script. pretty well edited too. although i think the point would've come across even if the movie lost about 45 minutes of it.