PDA

View Full Version : New Discoveries

Eikman
06-28-2005, 09:01 AM
Well, it's been a while, so I suppose everyone has new records to share. So I'll start.....

Portable - Version (see thread here (http://www.dirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11))
Nu:Tone - Brave Nu World (wonderful mellow D&B, similar to High Contrast, on Hospital Records)
V/A - Elektronische Musik Interkontinental 4 (wonderful minimal techno compilation on Traum)
Emiliana Torrini - Fisherman's Woman (female singer/songwriter from Iceland with an all-acoustic album, great for 'sunny days')
Ferenc - Fraximal (the two Catalans with their first full-length on Kompakt, exploring techno with a touch of trance)
Röyksopp - The Understanding (this is NO second Melody A.M., but that's not a bad thing)

(feel free to start an extra thread if you think an album deserves it, this is just meant to give an overview) :D

dubman
06-28-2005, 09:56 AM
i just wrote the longest reply with tons of descriptions that werent stellar but were time consuming anyway... and i got logged out. my blood ran hot to my face and i said "you fucker"

damn.

DAMN.

ok, well here's a list, then.

jamie lidell - multiply (my pick of the year so far)

polmo polpo - kiss me again and again

amina - aminamina ep

silver mt. zion - horses in the sky

carl a finlow - electrilogy

milanese - 1up

death in vegas - satans circus

four tet - everything ecstatic

isolee - we are monster

white stripes - get behind me satan

gorillaz - damon days

//\/\/
06-28-2005, 09:58 AM
brakes - "non-stop disco-party" is poppy dancy cool...

groovypanda
06-28-2005, 12:13 PM
first: hello again everyone - it's been waaay too long!

second: my current listening pleasures

the magic numbers the magic numbers - glorious sun kissed harmony laden pop perfection. i was lucky enough to see them live about six weeks ago and they were so good it was unbelievable

arular m.i.a. - incredibly infectious dancehall/hip-hop mash up. check 10 dollar, galang or hombre to get a flavour

the superimposers the superimposers - downbeat electronica/country/guitar excellence. fave track probably seeing is believing

hal hal - yet another eponomously titled lp and yet more gorgeous harmony pop that's heavily influenced by the beach boys but none the worse for it. ignore any thrills comparisons you may have read and let the sunshine into your life

the understanding röyksopp - as eike said, not melody a.m. part 2 at all. a lot dancier than the first album and i was a bit unsure at first but its a definite grower and right now i'm loving 49 percent so much it's untrue

take london the herbaliser
guero beck
be common
get behind me satan the white stripes
jac tosca
the heartlight set joy zipper
folly the engineers
ok cowboy vitalic

and probably some others i've forgotten...

matt :)

Eikman
06-28-2005, 12:30 PM
heeeey, good to see ya back, matt!

adam
06-28-2005, 01:01 PM
Most recent purchases:

Wiley - Thin Ice
Congotronics no 1 - this is beautiful.
Venetian Snares - the pigeon one. Lovin' it, too.

Mort
06-28-2005, 02:41 PM
I've been listening to the first COG (http://www.cog.com.au) cd of late .Their a bunch of lads from bondi that been around for a few years ,Sort of a Prog metal band that managed to get there first album produced by Sylvia Massy. A fairly dark and brooding album but very impressive for first album release.

Worth checking out if you like things on the heavier side

ceramic'cow
06-28-2005, 02:53 PM
magic numbers
Elgar's Cello Concerto (1st movement especially. wow. knocked my socks off)

also, there was a free festival in middlesbrough just the other day, and it was FULL of really promising bands, as well as some slightly more established names. editors were there, headlining one of the stages and i thought both they and the departure, who were on before them, were fantastic live acts.

i also briefly saw Forward Russia, who i'd not heard of, and i thought they were excellent. the two girls i was with (i know; i'm such a stud. *ahem*) thought they were awful, so i didn't get a very good listen. what i did see put me in mind of at the drive-in, which is no bad thing, and i've heard steve lamacq is quite fond of them, so keep your ears peeled

nine black alps had a good sound, but few of their songs really stood out, i think because they weren't very catchy and i'd not heard any of them before. and because we had to sit through about 20 minutes of that bird out of Queen Adreena wailing and showing us all her knickers beforehand. god they were shit.

the rifles weren't very good, kubb were interesting. somewhere between doves and coldplay, i suppose. kind of like thirteen senses only without the godawful lyrics. mostly good songs, if you like that sort of thing.

i really liked the cutters as well. don't quite know how to describe their sound. pretty classic pop/rock, i guess. the festival guide reckons a mixture of the kinks, the coral, the who and the jam. can't really see it myself, but whatever

kagenaki koe
06-28-2005, 06:52 PM
most recent acquisitions:

Reggie and The Full Effect : Songs not to get married to
- really fun album. with less inbetween skits of prior releases (although those were quite funny themselves). jumps around from aggro, faux brit accent electroclash sound, industrial etc.

The Crimea : Lottery Winners on Acid
- really quirky, catchy lyrics.

Feist : Let It Die
- lovely vocalist album with mostly minimal background music

Her Space Holiday - The Young Machines remixed
- remix album. they're in the same mold as Postal Service/Album Leaf...glitchy, synth poppish.

NuBreed : The Original
- breakbeat. i especially love the track Oddworld (which i wish had more breakbeats than the minute and 1/2 at the end)

some songs:
Lamb : What sound (tom middleton mix)...ripped from the dvd using Wiretap.
Pendulum : Coma ....quite eerie. zero beats.
America : Ventura Highway (Deepsky's Blizzard in LA mix) not a major overhaul of the original.
Chappaquiddick Skyline - Leave Me Alone...a New Order cover.

mmm skyscraper
06-28-2005, 09:45 PM
Of Montreal - Sunlandic Twins (weird pop)
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - s/t (hipster rock)
Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - House Arrest/Lover Boy (diy tape experiments)
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois (folk/rock about Illinois (Illinoise))

also via mp3s as the records are hard to get:

Dolly Mixture (80's girl indiepop)
The Pipettes (60's-like girl group)

patrick
06-29-2005, 01:08 PM
my new recent favs are these:

Gorillaz - Demon Days I think this is a HUGe improvement over the already strellar sound of the first albumn. I just really like it. "feel good inc" and "dare" and "oh green world" are my favorites

Sweatshop Union - United we fall This is a really really great hip hop albumn, i guess a little like jurassic 5 or early Bep's. If you like tribe etc, you should check it out...

Brian Eno - Another Day on Earth I think this is new, not too sure, but i have listened to it a lot because I put it on when I chill/take a lie down.

Lyrics Born - Same !@#$ Different Day This is a nice albumn. Some great songs. I think it is a remix albumn of some sort but i don't know which way. Think it is other artists remixing lyrics borns songs.

and the royksopp albumn was a little disapointing to me, but is growing.

oh, and i got into other older albumns: annie - anniemal, and that older kasbian albumn... for get the name and am lazy

King of Snake
06-29-2005, 02:20 PM
I've not heard much new music lately, but I think the new Coldplay album is really good. I don't know any of their previous album so I can't compare, but I will check them out in the future.
My favourite track is White Shadows, every time that chorus kicks in it just gives me goosebumps.

goldfish
06-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Nothing majorly exciting...

Albums

Nostalgia 77 - The Garden and the older Songs for my Funeral
Chilled out and jazzy (sometimes too jazzy) stuff - their cover of Seven Nation Army is very good though)

Husky Rescue - Country Falls
Very "nice"

Fourtet - Everything Ecstatic
Not as good as rounds, but High Fives is brilliant

Edan - Beauty and the Beat
Intelligent hippity hoppity stuff.

St Etienne - Tales from Turnpike House
Good bog standard Etienne release

Caribou - Milk of Human Kindness
He's c-razy (and the brother in law of a bloke in the office, strangely)

Singles/Individual tracks ('cos the rest of the album's shit)

Whomadewho - Flat Beat and Satisfaction
Hysterical post-punk versions of Oizo and Benny Benassi tracks

General Electric - Frost on your Sunglasses
Hints of Kid Loco with this; vocals suck but nice otherwise

Minotaur Shock - Viggo Bay
Makes me grin like a loon every time I hear it.

Gorillaz - Dirty Harry
Not bad for Damon

holden
06-29-2005, 04:58 PM
I've not heard much new music lately, but I think the new Coldplay album is really good. I don't know any of their previous album so I can't compare, but I will check them out in the future.
My favourite track is White Shadows, every time that chorus kicks in it just gives me goosebumps.

Coldplay's X&Y really is quite good. They're easy critical targets, but the musicianship is very solid and, for them, a step forward. First few listens, i wished the lyrics were better, but it's a grower for sure...lots of textures, and damn, the words aren't too bad at second blush!

I'm also glad to hear that Royksopp's new LP is dancier and decent. "Melody AM" had such a great vibe, but i likee the dancee! I'll have to check it out.

gambit
06-30-2005, 12:00 AM
Oh sweet jesus, what haven't I discovered these past two months? Well, I'll just rattle off what I've bought.

!!! - Louden Up Now
Orbital - Dimensions EP
The Postal Service - Give Up
Telefon Tel Aviv - Map of What Is Effortless
Junior Boys - Last Exit
Gorillaz - Demon Days (started a thread about this one)
New Order - Power, Corruption, & Lies
New Order - Waiting for the Sirens' Call
Basement Jaxx - The Singles Special Edition
The Pillows - Penalty Life (need to listen to this one more)
Funk D'Void - Volume Freak
Tricky - Nearly God (need to listen to this one more too)
Apparat - Silizium EP
Kraftwerk - Autobahn
Kraftwerk - Trans-Europe Express
Kraftwerk - The Man-Machine
Kraftwerk - Computer World

Phew... I think that's it.

holden
06-30-2005, 07:30 AM
These arent exactly new, but some tunes i've obtained or enjoyed recently (new to me, anyway!)

Hybrid - "Morning Sci-Fi"
Way Out West - "Don't Look Now" - less trancey than "Intensify", more pop
IQ - very much in the neo-prog vein. If you like Peter Gabriel era Genesis, try this!
Crystal Method - "Community Service 2" -dang good mix!
Franz Ferdinand -"franz ferdinand" - possibly overhyped, but a nice listen
Josh Ryan - "By design" - great mix album
Orbital - "Open Mind" - i finally tracked down this gem from 1990! a cool precursur to the sound of Brown, IMO

Rog
06-30-2005, 07:35 AM
I love Oasis's new album and Mr Brightside by The Killers and Razorlight who were good at glasto from what i saw on TV. Also got Mylo's album at last (Thanks to Ally for the recommendation from yonks ago).

BeautifulBurnout
07-01-2005, 10:51 AM
Oive mos'ly bin list'nin to:

Ada - Blondie
Great album - this li'l lady has breathed soul into techno.

Joris Voorn - Future History
"Incident" has become the ultimate summer-party-feelgood track for me.

Black Strobe
Got a couple of their mixes for radio - they describe their style as Frozen Balearic Gay Biker House :D Looking forward to seeing them supporting UW in Amsteram, if they still are...

Mathew Jonson
Had heard a fair bit of his stuff in mixed sets without realising who/what it was. I particularly like Re-Wire, which is minimal, glitchy and with lots of interesting noises going on.

... And my choon of the moment is....

Slam - This World (Wighnomy Bros and Robag Wruhme Dub)
Once again, nice minimal glitchy sound, with an awesome atmospheric break in the middle of it that gives me goosebumps every time.

Edit: Oooooooh! and let's not forget Alex Smoke - Chicca Wapa (Mejor Edit)
Listening to it now... mmmmmmmmmmmm.

b.miller
07-01-2005, 11:22 AM
this is what i've really missed about not having the forums around.

for my little part, i'd like to throw in:

NIN - Hand That Feeds (DFA Remix): it's great in the same way that their Blues explosion remix is great, namely that it's like a DFA song with a few original lyrics thrown in.

Madvillian - Four Tet Remixes EP: and i thought the originals were crazy.

Roots Manuva - Too Cold (Nightmares on Wax and Go! Team Remixes): yeah....

The Herbaliser - Take London: good but i wish the band would put out a Session Two

A Dirty Shame - Motion Picture Soundtrack: This is full of hilarious sexually explicit rockabilly tunes like Tony's Got Hot Nuts, eager beaver baby, and Hump-a-baby. Great stuff.

undarrenworld
07-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Bob Sinclair / Love Generation
Timo Maas / Pictures
Chemical Brothers / Spring (Believe b-side)

undarrenworld
07-01-2005, 01:34 PM
These arent exactly new, but some tunes i've obtained or enjoyed recently (new to me, anyway!)

Hybrid - "Morning Sci-Fi"
Way Out West - "Don't Look Now" - less trancey than "Intensify", more pop
IQ - very much in the neo-prog vein. If you like Peter Gabriel era Genesis, try this!
Crystal Method - "Community Service 2" -dang good mix!
Franz Ferdinand -"franz ferdinand" - possibly overhyped, but a nice listen
Josh Ryan - "By design" - great mix album
Orbital - "Open Mind" - i finally tracked down this gem from 1990! a cool precursur to the sound of Brown, IMO

Wow, where did u get that, o looked at htfr.com but without success:(

Rog
07-04-2005, 01:19 AM
Bob Sinclair / Love Generation
Timo Maas / Pictures
Chemical Brothers / Spring (Believe b-side)

Ahhhh.......a man of taste! ;)

Tom
07-04-2005, 01:32 AM
I've been listening to the first COG (http://www.cog.com.au) cd of late .Their a bunch of lads from bondi that been around for a few years ,Sort of a Prog metal band that managed to get there first album produced by Sylvia Massy. A fairly dark and brooding album but very impressive for first album release.

Worth checking out if you like things on the heavier side

My brother is the biggest COG whore in the country. Fucking follows them around the country, seen em like, 45 times. Quite liked 'Run' from their new album.

goldfish
07-04-2005, 01:40 AM
Madvillian - Four Tet Remixes EP: and i thought the originals were crazy.

Roots Manuva - Too Cold (Go! Team Remixes)

I love Money Folder, but am not so convinced about the others. The GO! Team mix of Roots Manuva is fab.

Simon

Ally
07-04-2005, 07:29 AM
Seriously recommend Optimo - Psyche Out (http://www.dirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115). I also picked up a charming wee album by a band called Simian; We Are Your Friends - optimistic electro pop stuff, lovely :)

entropy
07-04-2005, 10:15 PM
Ada - Blondie
Great album - this li'l lady has breathed soul into techno.

Joris Voorn - Future History
"Incident" has become the ultimate summer-party-feelgood track for me.

Black Strobe
Got a couple of their mixes for radio - they describe their style as Frozen Balearic Gay Biker House :D Looking forward to seeing them supporting UW in Amsteram, if they still are...

nice choices

suggest you check ivan smagghes fabric mix (i can supply, but its worth the purchase)

entropy
07-04-2005, 10:16 PM
both the royksopp and common records disappointed me

Rog
07-05-2005, 12:53 AM
I like 'Technologic' by Daft Punk.......so much so that i bought the cd single yesterday and i don't normally do that:)

entropy
07-05-2005, 01:06 AM
basement jaxx kontrol mixx

Dave
07-05-2005, 04:24 AM
I recommend the following:

Martha Wainwright/Martha Wainwright - Personal and catchy in a Cat Power sort of way
Blueprint/1988 - I don't listen to a whole lot of rap/hip-hop but this comes across as very refreshing
Eels/Blinking Lights and Other Revelations - Two discs worth of goodness

Dave

goldfish
07-05-2005, 04:58 AM
basement jaxx kontrol mixx
Seconded. The rest of the album and the original remain a bit shit.

Simon

kagenaki koe
07-05-2005, 09:03 AM
I recommend the following:

Martha Wainwright/Martha Wainwright

is that the one with the song Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole?

GforGroove
07-05-2005, 02:14 PM
Jeans Team!
wow wow..!!

entropy
07-06-2005, 01:17 AM
this braxe comp was released may/june and worth picking up if you have a taste for french house

http://www.alanbraxeandfriends.com (http://www.alanbraxeandfriends.com/)

Rog
07-06-2005, 03:00 AM
this braxe comp was released may/june and worth picking up if you have a taste for french house

http://www.alanbraxeandfriends.com

An excellent choice!

Dave
07-06-2005, 06:27 AM
is that the one with the song Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole?Yeah, that's the one :)

mmm skyscraper
07-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Annie - Happy Without You (Sebastian remix)

Dirty0900
07-20-2005, 03:39 AM
Dosh - Dosh

Got recommended to me the other day, really nice cross over of electronica and hiphop.

kagenaki koe
07-20-2005, 09:45 AM
Freestylers : Raw as Fuck

Tyler
07-20-2005, 09:59 AM
Ferenc - Fraximal (the two Catalans with their first full-length on Kompakt, exploring techno with a touch of trance)
:D

Picked this up the other day and am in love with it. It's very deep and graceful! Two cool schaffel tracks on it too :) Ferenc is probably my fave kompakt act now.

Yannick
07-22-2005, 06:02 PM
TBA - Annule

Munk - Aperitivo

The Flashbulb - Kirlian Selections

thee carp dreamer
07-22-2005, 06:09 PM
jamie lidell - multiply

mmm skyscraper
07-30-2005, 12:13 AM
Rinocerose - 'Bitch'

AC/DC meets French house/lounge