PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Island Discs

big screen satellite
07-04-2005, 08:36 AM
based upon the long running Radio 4 show...i thought i'd do our own version...called Dirty Islands Discs...read below for Details

"Desert Island Discs is one of Radio 4's most popular and enduring programmes. Created by Roy Plomley in 1942, the format is simple: each week a guest is invited by Sue Lawley to choose the eight records they would take with them to a desert island.

The discussion of their choice is a device for them to review their life. They also choose a favourite book (excluding the Bible or other religious work and Shakespeare - these already await the "castaway") and a luxury which must be inanimate and have no practical use."

so thats it choose eight records, maybe an explanation for each, a book, and a luxury item...all of which you could not do without on a desert island...i suppose the records could be albums or singles...but you get more out of an album...don't foget you might never hear anything else - so it should be something that you could survive with forever...i'm also gonna add a film to the list of things to bring the 'DID' idea into the 21st century..so choose a film too (1 film and no trilogies ;) )

(i'm also gonna stipulate that you can only have one record by each artist, and NO compilations or greatest hits...to make it more interesting)

here's mine:

Matt Wells (AKA Big Screen Satellite)
Age 34

Record 1 (in no particular order): The KLF - The White Room (KLF Communications) (1991)

Well, it is by no means a compilation of the best mixes of the records contained on the album - although the version of 'no more tears' is the best one of those in existence - and there are other 'demo' versions of the 'White Room' available, but the commercial version is as complete as it goes for these tracks...and as a complete record it also sums up a period in my life, it's an essential album for me, coming out whilst i was studying Town & Country Planning at University in Manchester, the KLF were at their peak. It was a time of Madchester and 1990's dance culture...KLF were perhaps the biggest band to cross over from the dance scene - having a string of top 5 hits and three number one singles.

They were one of those groups that inspired me to collect and listen to electronic music, having first bought their 1988 release 'whitney joined the jams'. When The White Room came out in 1991, the KLF were one of the biggest acts in the country and anything they did made either music press front page news but more often than not, the standard press as well. They inspired me to take up DJing and were probably the catalyst for me becoming an Underworld fan, strange that that may be...

2. New Order - Technique (Factory Records) (1987)
I could listen to this album over and over and over and never get bored - every track is perfect dance pop, from one of the greatest bands still around today, when i bought this i used to listen to it on my way to work, at a pizza resturant on my sony walkman cassette player...how times have changed - i don't own a cassette machine at all any more...and most of my music is on MP3 (although i do own quite a lot of vinyl still, including thsi album on vinyl). I've since updated my cassette, to a re-released CD pressing.

This album also takes me back to the time when i first ever saw New Order at Wembley Arena...supported by Primal Scream (who were very drunk and awful - before they turned out good again)...I was with my two best mates, who later became my two best men at my wedding,...and also with three other guys from school, who i only ever ever see at New Order gigs, despite living in the same town as them all our lives...even at the most recent gig two weeks ago, without arranging it, amongst 20,000 people we all bumped into each other again...happy times...

3. Underworld - Dubnobasswithmyheadman (JBO) 1992
There was no way i wasn't gonna include an Underworld album, and without doubt this is my favourite of them all...it contains at least two of my favourite tracks, Spoonman & Dark & Long, and was the ultimate reason i am here (stranded) on this forum (dirty island) today...

I have been a massive collector of records since I was a kid, 7" singles were my thing until i could afford the better looking and longer lasting 12"'ers, and i started buying rare KLF singles from the off and then moved on to classic house / dance vinyl in the early 1990's whilst at Manchester University, which had the best record shops in the land at the time, Eastern Bloc, Underground & Vinyl Exchange on Oldham Street.

I used to work hard at studying, and even harder at playing, so that i could earn cash just to buy tunes...having the largest bunch of records in my dorm, i was known as 'Matt The DJ' ...:)

And having bought the first few releases on Boys Own and Junior Boys Own Records, i bought the new tunes by Underworld...and of the lot i had on JBO, Underworld were the ones that caught my eye or ear...and the ones i played to death...having worn out three copies of Lemon Interupts, Big Mouth. So it was with baited breath that i waited for this Awesome and career defining album came out, buying it originally on Vinyl...which like my Lemon Interupt singles i had to replace several times...now being Underworl'd biggest collector i have two different vinyl copies, and 2 on Cd and two or three on Cassette...you could perhaps blame that entire album for my UW obsession.

Record 4: Billie Ray Martin - A Deadline For My Memories (Magnet) (1994)
I love Billie Ray Martin's voice, pure and simple.

I could listen to her sing forever. Ever since she was a member of Electribe 101 and her contributions on the S'express debut album, Billie has been part of my musical life and as such i couldn't live without her voice on my island. This is an astounding album, with some epic club anthems and acomplished mellow tracks...

Record 5: The Polyphonic Spree - The Beginning Stages of...(679) (2002)
I stumbled across this album, as someone gave me a bundle of freebie CD's...and it was the one of two that stood out (the second is below). Since being given this album i have bought everything they have done and been to see them live - the Spree just bring sunshine into your life...without any alteria motive...they are just a fun band with fun and happy music - this album for sure would keep me happy forever stranded on an island...

Record 6: The Streets - Original Pirate Material (679) (2002)
Not every track on this album would get an airing on my island playlist but most are classics of the time, and although Mike Skinner's life is not really like mine, there are points and references in the subject matter that make me smile because they are relevant to me, and my agegroup. Mike Skinner is a cultural poet for our generation, and i could listen to his stories without having to pick a book...musical stories for me are sometimes better than written ones...

Record 7: Vangelis - Bladerunner Soundtrack (Atlantic) (1994)
This is my favourite film soundtrack, and without words it tells a great story...Vangelis is a modern day 'classical composer', and without being wanky and choosing some classical album that i've never really listened to, and wouldn't appreciate, i'd nominate Vangelis as one of our generation's founding fathers of electronic music..and hence would have this playing at times of relaxation on the island...And having fond memories of the Film it would be a musical reminder of the on screen action...

Record 8: BT - Ima (Perfecto) (1995)
Its a hard task choosing just 8 records that you would have to survive with for an indefinite amount of time, but this record is one complete journey and i take it with me whenever i go on a journey, so if i was stuck in one place for any length of time, i'd feel i'd want to get away, and i think this album would be able to do that...especially with the Sasha's Voyage of Ima track at the end which clocks in at over 40 minutes long...BT is a genius in my mind

Book: Star Wars Chronicles

A massive colourful and complete guide to the Star Wars Universe...i'm not a great reader and never will be, so a book like a novel isn't gonna keep me company any more than a factual book...so thats why i choose a book detailing my favourite movie series, especially as i'm not including Star Wars as my movie....

Movie: The Italian Job
A fun and great British movie...makes me smile and reminds me of home...even if it's part set in Italy...and watching it would give me a chance to perfect my Michael Caine impression..."you're only sposed to blow the bloody doors off"

Inanimate Object: A Lazee Boy Chair

well that's me...now its your turn (or you can comment on my choices....)

holden
07-05-2005, 09:41 AM
(bumpers!)

The Desert Island 8 (in no particular order), by Holden:

1. Genesis: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (1974). Classic, controversial two-disc concept album, also the final record with Peter Gabriel as lead singer. Totally bizarre story about a street kid in NY with mental problems, features some way-out-there Eno effects and progressive jams. Wondering where Radiohead started? Look here.

2. The Borrowers: The Borrowers (1996) A great alt-folk-indierock release by sadly defunct Austin, Tx group. Never before have i heard wah-wah-pedals used with mandolin or upright basses played as drums, at least not so melodically! Great lyrics and moods...still available cheap in many used cd shops.

3. Orbital: Snivilization (1994) Gee, it's hard to pick just one from Orbital. I love Brown, but Snivilization and In Sides are a bit more varied in my opinion. And since Snivilization has more songs, it wins by a thread. Love the weird vocal samples of "I Wish i had duck feet" and "Philosophy by Numbers", the classic techno of "Crash and Carry", and the ups and downs of the LP's pace.

4. Underworld: Beaucoup Fish... don't need to describe this here, right?! My rationale for this is...it's banging, and i love all the songs, ok?

5. The Police: Ghost In the Machine (1981) Here, Sting and the boys were on the cusp of superstardom, but still experimenting, most notably with jazz and reggae elements. Alternatively dark ("Demolition Man", "Omega Man") and danceable ("One World", "Hungry For You"), i think this record is the best in their amazing catalog.

6. Peter Gabriel: Security (1982) PG takes on African rhythms, MoTown, Art-Rock, New Wave, and post-punk over the span of 8 or 9 songs. His sound here is distinct...big gated drums, abrasive synths and guitar, spectacular percussive touches, and well, he's never wailed so good!

7. The Chemical Brothers: Dig Your Own Hole (1997). Is this a cop-out? Still my fave of the Chems' works, and the semi-seamless mix is a lot of fun. Call it obvious. Call it outdated big-beat. Whatever...i call it a alphabetapsychodelicfunkin' good listen.

8. Way Out West: Intensify (2001): For good, solid trance, you can't beat this. Hardly a downtempo moment over the whole span, and bangers like "UB Devoid" and "Intensify Part 1" will do your head in!

Book: Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger (1951). I don't think this needs explanation, especially not from Holden;) !

Impractical Object: this is difficult, because anything could be used for something! I'd like to take a case of Mountain Dew, but i'd drink that. Or a camera, but i'd use that, too. Heck, even my Talking Butters plush toy (any "South Park" fans here?) is entertaining. So, i've no idea what's meant by object with no practical use.

There you have it. Next?

gambit
07-05-2005, 12:19 PM
1. A deserted island survival CD - What the hell do I know about surviving on a deserted island?

2. An instructional CD on how to make a raft - Well, I'll need to get off the island at some point.

3. A plant and animal guide CD - Gotta know what's edible and what's dangerous.

4. A do-it-yourself CD player repair CD - In case it breaks down, I'll copy this down somewhere for safe keeping.

5. Underworld - Second Toughest in the Infants - Onto the music. This is my favorite UW album, and I couldn't go without this.

6. Orbital - Brown album - First album to make me go "Wow, I didn't know music could do that."

7. Massive Attack - Mezzanine - Just in case I need to feel depressed for some reason.

8. Daft Punk - Discovery - Just in case I get too depressed from listening to Mezzanine.

9. The Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole - I'm not sure if this will enrage wild animals or scare them away, but it's a great album nonetheless.

10. Gorillaz - Demon Days - Just for something weird to get my mind off the fact that I'M STRANDED ON A DESERTED ISLAND.

Book - Probably one of my huge British Literature anthologies. There's a ton of material to read plus it can double as a blunt object.

Inanimate object - An ax cos I'm sure as hell ain't going to make one on my own.

big screen satellite
07-05-2005, 12:40 PM
(bumpers!)

Impractical Object: this is difficult, because anything could be used for something! I'd like to take a case of Mountain Dew, but i'd drink that. Or a camera, but i'd use that, too. Heck, even my Talking Butters plush toy (any "South Park" fans here?) is entertaining. So, i've no idea what's meant by object with no practical use.

There you have it. Next?

thanks for getting on this Holden ;)

and i checked the list of impractical objects on the Radio 4 site chosen by other guests, and really they choose anything, Make up, Sweets, Food, etc..but people also choose hair brushes etc...so i thought i'd choose a nice comfortable chair...its fairly inamate and only serves one real purpose.

click on previous programs for inspirtaions (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/desertislanddiscs.shtml)

den
07-06-2005, 11:33 AM
ok, i'll jump in. trying not to think too hard about this.

underworld - second toughest...
i had to pick one, and i feel that this the album i enjoy the most as a whole. simple as that.

meat puppets - II
this just kicks my ass every single time. the sound of this album has a such a unique, far-out feel. there's no place like it.

violent femmes - s/t
this is about sitting down with only with an accoustic guitar, a bass, and a snare drum, and rocking out completely. this is what music is about. just perfect.

wilco - yankee hotel foxtrot
this is one fantasitc album, and it reminds me of friends and home. each time i listen to this album, i can never think of anything i would change about it.

loscil - first narrows
i don't know what it was, but the first time i heard this, i thought it was the most beautiful and peaceful music. i can listen to it now, close my eyes, and just float away...

smashing pumpkins - siamese dream
ok, i like the pumpkins, but there's no one album i really like as a whole. i guess this is the one. i really like their b-sides more but pisces iscariot for some reason seems silly, and the box set is cheating.

weezer - blue album
sometimes you just need to sing out loud and play air guitar. and the 'only in dreams' solo is pure ecstasy.

cLOUDEAD - s/t
this one is pretty random, but what the hell. i haven't really listened to it much to be one of my favorites, but i do really like it. it'd be nice to take something fresh along to have it grow on you. wonderfully strange and trippy hip-hop. it has a certain dark and mysterious atmosphere to it that's just great.

i'd pick the trainspotting soundtrack but not to cheat. i legitimately like the cd as a whole. but i'll play by the rules this time.

movie: evil dead 2
nothing beats hilarious slapstick horror

book: lord of the rings
you said no trilogies just for movies. but to be fair, i could also pick camus' "the stranger"

item: guitar
hope i don't break any strings

adam
07-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We are Floating in Space...if I could only take one song, it would be Cop Shoot Cop. pwnd.

Hans Zimmer - The Thin Red Line. This is a beautiful piece of work, track after track, and unlike anything else I'm taking. If you want to check it out, start with the track called Light. Serenity now....with a little melancholy.

The Avalanches - Since I Left You. Come on, this is essential tropical paradise material.

A Tribe Called Quest - Beats, Rhymes and Life. Another happy CD, for me. Love the vibe on this album.

Masta Killa - No Said Date. This one is somewhat iffy. I wanted a Wu disc, and this one has everyone on it. I suppose their new live CD would be a better choice, but I've never heard it.

Plastikman - Consumed. I listened to this on acid with my projector showing the iTunes visualization on my wall while it was snowing outside. Now it's part of me.

Tool - Lateralus. Quite iffy on this one, since I'm not so into it anymore, but I was, and it has a lot of depth, and it adds to the broad spectrum I'm going for.

Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein. "I found passion in aerosol cans and hands clappin'"

Hip-hop is a tricky one for me. I love the shit, but full albums are a little hard to find. Reflection Eternal - Train of Thought is a good candidate, but I thought that mood was covered by Tribe. Grime is missing, too. Run the Road would be a great candidate, but it's a compilation, and I don't think Rascal or Wiley's albums are consistant enough. Gotta order Kano's, that's gonna be the shit - I hope. Also...it's new enough to me that I have to deduct points for it just being what I'm currently really into...otherwise Venetian Snares' latest would be on here too.

Movie would be Blade Runner. I can watch that over and over and over.

Book - History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell. Has enough food for thought to stimulate for decades. I might like the Gormenghast trilogy, which I have in a single volume, but as it's originally three books I disqualified it.

Luxury item: Paper and pencil. Writing, drawing, therapy.

thee carp dreamer
07-07-2005, 05:29 PM
001: the orb - orbus terrarum
found this band out a few years ago after legends over 60min tracks and 40min totp sessions. pure rock album. oxbow lakes live rocks my fucking socks off, live drums and piano.......lush.

002: leftfield - leftism
yea, still hot after 10 years (wow.....10 years....seems more like 20mins). so this is the first album i ever bought. song of life still sends shivers down my spine.

003: jamie lidell - multiply
funky, dirty, sexy, hawt shit. so much better than his debut. best warp release since.....um.....

004: the sabres of paradise - haunted dancehall
a trip-hot masterpiece, hugely underrated. overshadowed by their first album. this is one album that i take EVERYWHERE.

005: renegade soundwave - in dub
women respond to bass. simple.

006: underworld - second toughest in the infants
sides 1 and 2 get me every time. the most beautifully formed lp of all time. perfectly flawless production and song writing, emotional but stark, organic but electronic. it's the album that i compare everything to, and it's the reason why i'll be disappointed by the new underworld release.

007: the mars volta - frances the mute
a modern epic, a sonically beautiful prog rock work that makes me want to sing along at the same time. it gets shorter with every listen.

008: john coltrane - blue train
a master of his time. having recently visited the blue note club, i've enlarged a love for jazz music. i bought this album years ago now, but it encovers hidden depths every listen. coltrane blitzed the other players on this record though...

book: hunter s thompson - fear & loathing in las vegas

film: a clockwork orange

luxury item: my gf, rachel. cos she's lush. :D

adam
07-07-2005, 07:06 PM
oooh i didn't know we could take your girlfriend. i'll take her, too.

big screen satellite
07-07-2005, 10:34 PM
oooh i didn't know we could take your girlfriend. i'll take her, too.

you cant take Carpy's girlfreind and Carpy can't either really....unless she's inanimate?

(maybe she blows up ;))

gambit
07-07-2005, 10:43 PM
you cant take Carpy's girlfreind and Carpy can't either really....unless she's inanimate?

(maybe she blows up ;))
Well, well, who knew Carpy was into blow up dolls? Or maybe it's a mannequin. :D

Rog
07-13-2005, 01:01 AM
In no particular order..........

1. Second toughest
2. Brown Album - Orbital
3. Meddle - Pink Floyd
4. Led Zeppelin IV
5. Never mind the bollocks - Sex Pistols
6. Adventures beyond the Ultraworld - The Orb
7. Screamadelica - Primal Scream
8. Faithless's new greatest hits album (the title eludes me at present dur to hangover!) (My short term memory is becoming shite nowadays)

Book - Lord of the rings
Film - The good the bad and the ugly
Luxury item - 1pound of Thai stick:o