PDA

View Full Version : Arrested Development's Death Rattle

b.miller
11-10-2005, 05:17 PM
http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=11947

seriously, is it April 1 and no one told me or something?

adam
11-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Is Fox run by the biggest bunch of idiots in the world, or what?

dubman
11-11-2005, 12:25 AM
i think i was one of those people who should be watching it but still aren't for confusing reasons.

when i watch it, i feel like i should like it. the plot summaries and events that happen throughout seasons seem hilarious to me, but when i actually sit down to watch it, i feel absolutely nothing.

there's SOMETHING missing from that show...

grady
11-11-2005, 12:31 AM
http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=11947

seriously, is it April 1 and no one told me or something?

AWWWW................FUCK!

FUCKING FOX!

I've said it many times before and will continue to for many years to come!

This is depressing!

grady
11-11-2005, 12:39 AM
there's SOMETHING missing from that show...

Nah....there's nothing missing from the show. I think it's just you dubman.

adam
11-11-2005, 09:02 AM
It's probably that there's no laughtrack so he doesn't know when to laugh. :p

Malt Refund
11-11-2005, 09:24 AM
Scrubs does well without a laughtrack. Arrested is just very fast paced, and the narration is really strange.

btw I dont even watch shows on Fox anymore.. why watch them when they'll get cancelled in a week? It's always the same.

potatobroth
11-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Arrested Development is (was? :() the best comedy on television.

Scrubs a close second.

holden
11-11-2005, 10:02 AM
That's what you get for being the Best Comedy on TV two years in a row....cancelled by FOX.

i've only discovered this show on DVD recently, and, like other shows cut before their time, ii think it's too smart for the average t.v. viewer who needs a laugh-track to let them know when something's funny.

dubman
11-11-2005, 10:26 AM
:rolleyes:

allright, allright.

i think it's maybe because i could never care about any of them, and that they aren't characters so much as vehicles for written jokes they have no personality outside of.

godd lord you guys.

"aha, he doesnt find it funny, he must need something conventional and boring because this certainly isnt! hi-fives!"

:p

Malt Refund
11-11-2005, 10:41 AM
I agree with dubman totally.. all the characters have no personalities and are just weird for the sake of being weird. Except for the main character, who is like "whoa.. my whole family is weird all the time!" And the blue man thing kinda got old.

holden
11-11-2005, 10:43 AM
The only thing missing from that show is an audience.

Great gravy, they've got Jason Bateman, Scott Baio, the Fonze (well, last year), and of course the AMAZINGLY LOVELY Portia di Rossi! ;)

Anyway, not picking on you dubman, just saying that it is a quirky and clever show that typical sitcom watchers aren't likely to get. But it would've helped if Fox gave it any sort of publicity, instead of pre-empting it a million times.

adam
11-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I wasn't serious, dub. But I think it's odd that you guys think the characters have no personalities, because they seem pretty well-developed to me. I mean, yes, they're all absurd, but that doesn't mean they're not fleshed out.

I'm wondering if another network won't pick this up if Fox cancels it. You'd think with Ron Howard behind it, and the awards and everything, that it might not go without a fight.

b.miller
11-11-2005, 11:38 AM
I'm wondering if another network won't pick this up if Fox cancels it. You'd think with Ron Howard behind it, and the awards and everything, that it might not go without a fight.

that's the hope on the AD forums and such... the almightly saving hand of HBO or like USA or something... WHo knows... we can hope

i dunno, i find GOB to be a very complete character. He often kinda makes me sad while I am laughing at him I mean for a comedy, a half-hour network sitcom, they do pretty amazingly well with their characters i think. Judge them against 2 and a half men or Joey or even Everyone Loves Raymond and Scrubs and Friends... every character in a sitcom is always a vehicle for jokes, but at least the AD folks are interesting...

anyway, I'd like to get all polemic and urge everyone to stop watching Fox, but I don't think anyone here has a nielson box anyway so...

holden
11-11-2005, 11:52 AM
i don't know if these petitions will help, but they probably won't hurt, either...

http://www.petitiononline.com/GOBLUTH/petition.html

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/718678800

i really like the delicate wording of the first letter!;)

dubman
11-11-2005, 12:23 PM
that's the hope on the AD forums and such... the almightly saving hand of HBO or like USA or something... WHo knows... we can hope

i dunno, i find GOB to be a very complete character. He often kinda makes me sad while I am laughing at him I mean for a comedy, a half-hour network sitcom, they do pretty amazingly well with their characters i think. Judge them against 2 and a half men or Joey or even Everyone Loves Raymond and Scrubs and Friends... every character in a sitcom is always a vehicle for jokes, but at least the AD folks are interesting.

i guess all sitcoms suck, come to think of it.

i am bummed a bit that it's getting cancelled though. i may not have gone with it, but it was far better than other fare which is mostly embarassing.

i mean, i could watch a whole season of it, right?

Malt Refund
11-11-2005, 12:33 PM
I'm wondering if another network won't pick this up if Fox cancels it.

Nope.. if Fox owns the rights to it, and cancels it, they will never release it to competition. Fox is famous for it, Firefly is a perfect example of a show they cancelled and didnt let anyone else have. The only way for the creators to continue it was in movie form under a different name since they owned the rights to the characters but not the show.

potatobroth
11-12-2005, 07:26 AM
I agree with dubman totally.. all the characters have no personalities and are just weird for the sake of being weird. Except for the main character, who is like "whoa.. my whole family is weird all the time!" And the blue man thing kinda got old.

you couldnt be more wrong about the characters having no personality.

adam
11-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Gob is my hero. "Beeees?!"

Animal Boything
11-12-2005, 06:33 PM
This is really frustrating. I watch it on DVD and one of the main things I've noticed is that jokes are often set up in one episode and paid off in the next, or two or three episodes later. Each season is like a movie, one big story told in brief parts. That means that by not airing it on a regular basis, casual viewers will miss half the comedy. This show isn't getting the attention it deserves because in a way it's too complex for tv. I really hope somebody at FOX wakes up soon, because this is disgraceful. This show is on the same level as Seinfeld and deserves as much success. It should go off the air when the creators are good and ready, and not a moment sooner.

Also, Arrested Development has some of the most entertaining and complex characters in TV history, and if you think otherwise you are DEFINITELY missing something.

potatobroth
11-12-2005, 06:49 PM
Gob is my hero. "Beeees?!"

'no, beads!'

potatobroth
11-12-2005, 06:50 PM
Also, Arrested Development has some of the most entertaining and complex characters in TV history, and if you think otherwise you are DEFINITELY missing something.

quoted for truth

anna
11-12-2005, 10:03 PM
I agree that this is the best show on tv and the characters are fantastic.

If you think it's bad up there down here the show is shown even more contempt by channel 7. It keeps getting taken off air and when it is on, it's timeslot is around midnight.

potatobroth
11-13-2005, 04:23 PM
I agree that this is the best show on tv and the characters are fantastic.

If you think it's bad up there down here the show is shown even more contempt by channel 7. It keeps getting taken off air and when it is on, it's timeslot is around midnight.

the bigger kick in the face of Arrested Development is that they are replacing it with reruns of Prison Break. that. show. sucks.

grady
11-13-2005, 09:54 PM
the bigger kick in the face of Arrested Development is that they are replacing it with reruns of Prison Break. that. show. sucks.

That is one of those programming moves that I can't really understand other than lumping the prison break show into the same audience as that who watch Cops religiously.

stimpee
11-14-2005, 03:23 AM
I'm pissed off about this. This is by far the best comedy to come out of the states for years. The characters are so well developed and each have their own idiosyncracies. the storylines are so well connected that almost every throwaway line seems to have deeper meaning later with hilarious consequences.

Of course, it doesnt help when the timeslot they give it (which is decent at the time), gets taken away because of the baseball 3 weeks into the series. rating plummet? you bet. Assholes.

/me does the chicken dance at Fox executives

potatobroth
11-14-2005, 10:25 AM
they did this EXACT same thing with Family Guy. constant time-slot swaps, off air for baseball playoffs, and absolutely minimal hyping.

holden
11-14-2005, 01:03 PM
they did this EXACT same thing with Family Guy. constant time-slot swaps, off air for baseball playoffs, and absolutely minimal hyping.

The kicker there is that "Family Guy" was picked up by Cartoon Network, became a huge hit in their "adult swim" late-night block, and then Fox renewed it, redfaced with embarrassment.

If AD does survve on another network, i doubt Fox will admit their error twice.

justy
11-15-2005, 06:52 AM
There have been a couple of Fox shows that have jumped network. Family Guy's repeats, as holden pointed out, but I think Grounded for Life jumped to WB 3 episodes into its third season to finish out its production run (season 3: 13 episodes, season 4, 28(!) eps, and season 5, 13 episodes. (I thought Bernie Mac had jumped, but it's still airing new episodes on Fridays at 8. Go figure).

Anyway, there's precedent.

b.miller
11-15-2005, 12:14 PM
um... yeah as far as I know though in all those cases there's only been a few shows to actually stay in production with another network (JAG's been mentioned). In the case of Family Guy, cartoon network ran re-runs... What also could happen is that another channel will buy the unaired episodes of a cancelled show and air them (think this happened with Wonderfalls) but in all those cases, the actual show was still gone... i think Fox makes too much money on the DVDs not to release a season 3 of AD so i'm pretty confident we will be able to see the 13 episodes... it just sucks that, pretty much, the show is on death row... all depending on how stingy Fox is with their rights (as mentioned in a previous show... if the creators own the characters they could make a new show with them in it but they'd have to pay fox for the AD name blah blah blah).... so I'm not too hopeful... but at least i get to watch episodes of Prison Break again because i LOVE that show (kidding)

holden
11-16-2005, 07:37 AM
Are there any cases you all can think of where a show on the cutting block has been saved by the fans? The t.v. reviewers are always publishing these "Save our shows" lists to urge greater viewership, but in this case, it's too late since AD already got the axe. But i'd like to think that occassionally the execs realize the folly of their ways:rolleyes:

justy
11-16-2005, 12:13 PM
Star Trek? Seriously though, that was in the mid-60s, and that was to get it a third season. There are several well-documented cases of shows becoming huge hits after slow starts (Cheers, Seinfeld), but TV was just different then.

potatobroth
11-16-2005, 12:27 PM
this show is too good to just let alone. someone do something with it!

Dave
11-17-2005, 12:56 AM
Are there any cases you all can think of where a show on the cutting block has been saved by the fans? The t.v. reviewers are always publishing these "Save our shows" lists to urge greater viewership, but in this case, it's too late since AD already got the axe. But i'd like to think that occassionally the execs realize the folly of their ways:rolleyes:
AD nearly died after season one, FOX had a website where people could register their support, and a big "tell your friends" campaign. Although they had probably already made the decision to keep it.

potatobroth
11-17-2005, 07:24 AM
oh i told my friends. first episode i saw was Season Two, Episode One. never missed one since (as well as watching all the back episodes two or more times each)

since the night i first saw it, i've gotten 6 or 7 more people to watch it religiously.

what are the ratings for Prison Break?

b.miller
11-18-2005, 03:12 PM
pasted from: http://www.tvguide.com/News/Entertainment/

HYSTERICAL DEVELOPMENT: Leave it to Arrested Development to mine the tragedy of its imminent death for laughs. Per Variety, series creator Mitch Hurwitz is planning an episode that will poke fun at Fox's decision to reduce the show's episode order from 22 to 13, effectively canceling it. In the episode, titled "S.O.B." for "Save Our Bluths," the Bluth clan considers throwing a fund-raiser to save their construction company from shutting down. In one scene, Jason Bateman's Michael notes, "Our backs are against the wall.... It's just hard for me to accept that it's really come to begging." There's even a conversation about whether the Home Builders Organization — HBO — might be willing to come to their rescue. That idea is quickly nixed though, leading George Sr. to say, "I guess it's Showtime. We'll put on some kind of show at the [fund-raiser]." Meanwhile, after reading this item on TVGuide.com, the American public released the following statement: "Huh? I don't get that last joke. I told you this show was dumb."

adam
11-18-2005, 03:56 PM
That is awesome, and if someone doesn't pick them up after that...
Even if FOX won't allow them, I could see another network signing the same cast and writers to a new show that's just barely beyond FOX's legal reach. That would be funny.

sunflowereye
11-21-2005, 05:51 AM
I will miss Job. AD is the best!

holden
11-21-2005, 12:19 PM
This will probably not help save the (doomed) show, but lots of people over at the AD forums are planning viewing parties when the show returns to new run episodes in early December. The idea is to make it a big occasion and get some local/regional, and maybe national press. Though on a monday night, you have to compete with Monday Night Football, so it'll probably just be fun for the die-hards.

potatobroth
11-22-2005, 11:23 AM
This will probably not help save the (doomed) show, but lots of people over at the AD forums are planning viewing parties when the show returns to new run episodes in early December. The idea is to make it a big occasion and get some local/regional, and maybe national press. Though on a monday night, you have to compete with Monday Night Football, so it'll probably just be fun for the die-hards.
ha my friends all get together to watch it so it will be our usual affair.

that TV Guide write-up is awesome.

mkb
11-30-2005, 08:26 AM
What also could happen is that another channel will buy the unaired episodes of a cancelled show and air them (think this happened with Wonderfalls)

Nope, Fox only showed 4 episodes total. Shame, the rest of the series was pretty good.

(and it has Kaylee from Firefly in the last few episodes)

b.miller
11-30-2005, 09:07 AM
Nope, Fox only showed 4 episodes total. Shame, the rest of the series was pretty good.

(and it has Kaylee from Firefly in the last few episodes)

yeah didn't WB or UPN or Oxygen or some channel show the rest of the season at some point? either way at least it was put out on DVD.

mkb
11-30-2005, 09:36 AM
yeah didn't WB or UPN or Oxygen or some channel show the rest of the season at some point? either way at least it was put out on DVD.

According to IMDB, they couldn't find anyone to purchase the rest of the episodes

b.miller
11-30-2005, 11:05 AM
According to IMDB, they couldn't find anyone to purchase the rest of the episodes

ahh ok. shame :(

grady
12-06-2005, 10:00 AM
Who watched the episode last night? Thoughts? Impressions? Complaints? Anyone, anyone? Buller? Buller? Fry? Fry?

The episode was a bit off for me. It felt like a grab bag of ideas that perhaps were culled from already written episodes but then condensed and compressed into this episode in light of the episode order being cut by Fox. That is not to say that the episode entirely a disappointment.

b.miller
12-06-2005, 01:45 PM
yeah i'm not sure if this was made before they cut the order or what... but i will say i am glad that the whole charlize thing is over with... i thought that whole thing was a bit too wonky compared to how his previous relationships have been handled (hermano, the blind lawyer)... although i did like the wee britain thing at first... i'm glad they ended it now.

ALTHOUGH

I have never laughed harder in a "next week on..." bit. my god it was a pretty slow episode with like a whole episode's worth of A+ jokes jammed into the last 10 seconds.

grady
12-06-2005, 02:11 PM
yeah i'm not sure if this was made before they cut the order or what... but i will say i am glad that the whole charlize thing is over with... i thought that whole thing was a bit too wonky compared to how his previous relationships have been handled (hermano, the blind lawyer)... although i did like the wee britain thing at first... i'm glad they ended it now.

ALTHOUGH

I have never laughed harder in a "next week on..." bit. my god it was a pretty slow episode with like a whole episode's worth of A+ jokes jammed into the last 10 seconds.

The last ten seconds was pretty damn amazing as was GOB saying it was no magic trick, but an ILLUSION MICHAEL!

b.miller
12-06-2005, 04:24 PM
yeah well that then the callback to the first hair-on-fire video then tobias not being able to jump in the water to put it out... like a machine gun of comedy right there... bam bam bam

potatobroth
12-07-2005, 07:12 AM
oh lord, the comedy in that episode.

did anyone catch the fact that Buster doing the Mr. Roboto dance was a reference to him doing that EXACT same dance in the old VW commercial from a few years ago? yep thats right, thats Tony Hale in the commercial.

b.miller
12-07-2005, 08:38 AM
oh lord, the comedy in that episode.

did anyone catch the fact that Buster doing the Mr. Roboto dance was a reference to him doing that EXACT same dance in the old VW commercial from a few years ago? yep thats right, thats Tony Hale in the commercial.

no shit?? LOL'D2DETH!

grady
12-07-2005, 10:13 AM
no shit?? LOL'D2DETH!

Oh yeah! I found a link to the commercial.

Go check it out. (http://www.eurotuned.com/media/vwcommercials_nolinking/Golf-mister-roboto.mov)

grady
12-15-2005, 10:08 AM
Could there be a light off in the distance?

Check it out. (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/entertainment/13408683.htm)

More speculation at this point, but this is somewhat promising to hear this news.

adam
12-15-2005, 10:17 AM
That's the best news I've heard today. Yesterday, Studio Ghibli doing Wizard of Earthsea, today, this. Woot.

grady
12-15-2005, 10:18 AM
That's the best news I've heard today. Yesterday, Studio Ghibli doing Wizard of Earthsea, today, this. Woot.

Between the arrested news, tapping my feet to the underworld webcast at the moment, and seeing King Kong last night, things are alright at the moment.

:)

potatobroth
12-15-2005, 10:55 AM
hot damn. lets just cross our collective fingers.

Tyler
12-15-2005, 11:36 AM
I would cry (for joy...taste the happy michael) but I can't spare the moisture....

change
12-15-2005, 11:52 AM
I really need to dig deeper on dirty. i was fuming about the cancellation to my roomie a couple weeks ago (he didn't care) and didn't know there was a place of like-minded people already doing it. I hope AD gets picked up by someone else. I've heard other places that the show is too expensive. They must be paying Mike Judge dirt because Fox is still airing NEW episodes of King of the Hill. Now, I like King of the Hill, not as much as the other sunday night shows, but I honestly don't think it should have outlived AD and Futurama. Both smart shows that, as someone stated before, were probably too smart for Fox's demographics. If my recollection is correct Family Guy, King of the Hill, and Futurama all first aired in the same year. FG was cancelled after 3 seasons, Futurama made it four (?) and King of the Hill is still going. It's maddening. :mad: <-- me.

Even though I watched every week I never did convert anyone to watch AD. I failed them and now it's cancelled... :(

holden
12-15-2005, 12:19 PM
I would cry (for joy...taste the happy michael) but I can't spare the moisture....

that was gross... i was watching the new episode a a bar with 30 other fanatics (we've been meeting to try to generate local support and if nothing else, cry in our beers), and when Lucille said that, we all went "ewwww":p

b.miller
12-19-2005, 11:13 PM
so... does anyone know where Bob Loblaw's Law Blog is posted?

Riko
12-20-2005, 06:02 AM
so... does anyone know where Bob Loblaw's Law Blog is posted?

i looked for it last night, but no luck.

potatobroth
12-20-2005, 07:01 AM
i looked last night too :P

pretty good episode last night.

"and thats why, you never teach your dad a lesson"

b.miller
12-20-2005, 10:39 AM
http://appellatedecisions.blogspot.com/

grady
12-20-2005, 11:19 AM
Anyone else wonder about the music that would come on when Steve Holt turned on the wrong track?

It sounded like some more of Franklin Comes Alive.

holden
12-20-2005, 11:30 AM
...yeah! In fact, all the music during the photo-montages were from previous episodes! That was clearly the best episode of the season, so far! The best was the inside joke concerning the show's high production cost: "It sounded best with "Yellow Submarine", but who can afford it?"

b.miller
12-20-2005, 12:09 PM
...followed by "Yellow Boat" during the next montage...

yeah every episode makes me really sad after it's over now. I really think they are at the top of their game right now

and yeah, pretty sure he had a franklin comes alive tape in the boombax

potatobroth
12-20-2005, 12:16 PM
it most certainly was Franklin Comes Alive.

b.miller
12-21-2005, 12:19 PM
email reply from Robert Loblaw from the blogspot URL i posted a few days ago:

<<<<
Hi!

I am just writing to see if this is some genius plant from the folks at
Arrested Development or if you are in fact a real person.

If so, do you watch Arrested Development?

If so, what do you think of them snagging your name and mentioning your
blog?

Thanks!
-brian.
>>>>>
Loblaw lives!

grady
01-03-2006, 07:57 AM
Ah, it returned last night and it was an enjoyable episode too.

anyone else catch it?

holden
01-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Ah, it returned last night and it was an enjoyable episode too.

anyone else catch it?

I saw the final 20 minutes...it was very very good! Lots of "wink wink" moments, like Ron Howard saying, "full of comedic promise. Tell your friends". and the fake Live celebration at the end, showing how "desperate" AD is for viewers and buzz! The past two new shows have been, imho, the best of the 3rd season.

potatobroth
01-03-2006, 10:12 AM
I saw the final 20 minutes...it was very very good! Lots of "wink wink" moments, like Ron Howard saying, "full of comedic promise. Tell your friends". and the fake Live celebration at the end, showing how "desperate" AD is for viewers and buzz! The past two new shows have been, imho, the best of the 3rd season.

oh man, then you missed Gob's 3-D tomato throw at Michael in the first 2 minutes. it was a great episode all over though.

savethebluths.org is up and running but devoid of petition information at the moment. this was the website address they flashed on screen a few times during last night episode.

change
01-12-2006, 04:07 PM
So is AD all over now? There wasn't an episode this week and I lost track of how many were left. And for anyone interested, savethebluths.org is up now.

Riko
02-07-2006, 07:49 AM
Fox is showing the final four episodes from 8 to 10 p.m. Friday night.

grady
02-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Tonight is the night. Cue the funeral music.

It doesn't sound like it's gonna picked up either. This really sucks.

Although, after posting the above, I came across the following over at AICN (http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=22434):

The good news? Pay channel Showtime is, by all accounts, prepared to order new “Arrested” episodes as soon as Fox officially kicks it out the door. Which means we can finally see Lindsay Bluth Fünke naked and Ron Howard can, as appropriate, begin referring to certain characters as “cunts.”

Who knows how substantial that information actually is though. Only time will tell at this point in the game.

adam
02-10-2006, 12:17 PM
My fingers are crossed, man. This show is fucking brilliant and I'd fucking hurt the shitheads at fucking Fox that made this fucking decision. Fuck them.

stimpee
02-10-2006, 05:27 PM
So this should be episodes 10-13?

grady
02-10-2006, 05:39 PM
So this should be episodes 10-13?

That is correct.

holden
02-11-2006, 09:41 AM
What an amazing final four eps! They tied up everything wonderfully, but still left room for the future by reshuffling family dynamics.

How great was it to see "Franklin" again! Along with Judge Reinhold, of course.

i also liked the petition-signing at the end...a nice gesture to the fans who had not "cashed out" of the Bluths like Fox had.

potatobroth
02-11-2006, 01:03 PM
those four episodes were so awesome. loved the tie-ups of course and all the double entendres that made this show the best. quite sad to see, "on the epilogue"

boy michael. im the judge. blown away. hung jury.

so so many good times :(

change
02-12-2006, 08:41 AM
It was a fun 2 hours and great to see it end the same way it started. I also heard on E! (the network) this weekend that the producer has had an offer for another season, and has until June 15 to make a decision. Let's hope this isn't the end.:)

Dirty Canuck
02-13-2006, 02:08 PM
Here's a sigh of relief......
Will Arnett on "The Daily Show" lets it slip that the last four episodes were the last four on Fox.....
See for yourself.......
http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_daily_show/videos/celebrity_interviews/index.jhtml

I guess Showtime picked it up, but you never know, could be another network.....

holden
02-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Well, maybe. i've also read that talks have cooled and creator/producer Mitchell Hurwitz is tired of it. i saw the Daily Show interview with G.O.B., but i didn't get the sense that it got picked up...seemed like he didn't know the fate.

Anyway, the more i think about the final four, the more i feel like it's wrapped up and finished. :( i hope i'm wrong, though!

potatobroth
02-14-2006, 07:25 AM
Well, maybe. i've also read that talks have cooled and creator/producer Mitchell Hurwitz is tired of it. i saw the Daily Show interview with G.O.B., but i didn't get the sense that it got picked up...seemed like he didn't know the fate.

Anyway, the more i think about the final four, the more i feel like it's wrapped up and finished. :( i hope i'm wrong, though!

lotsa stuff floating around out there regarding Hurwitz and the show. ive seen bit about him wanting to create an entirely new show with the same exact cast as well as continue with AD. But Holden, I know what you mean. its like watching the ending to a movie that was wrapped up very nicely. part of me wants to just let it be what it was, and part of me (most of me) wants to laugh at more new Bluth stuff.

Fox shouldve quit being such Nellies and went for a full 3rd season.

Riko
02-14-2006, 10:24 AM
Fox shouldve quit being such Nellies and went for a full 3rd season.

Thanks, Judge Reinhold.

potatobroth
02-15-2006, 10:31 AM
Thanks, Judge Reinhold.

My name is Judge.

b.miller
02-28-2006, 11:33 AM
http://tvguide.com/News/Entertainment/

SHOWTIME FOR THE BLUTHS?: Hmm, maybe the fat lady should shut her mouth and take a seat. The New York Post hears brand-new buzz that Showtime has not only picked up Fox's canceled Arrested Development but has ordered a full 26 episodes.

potatobroth
02-28-2006, 11:39 AM
im so happy right now.

adam
02-28-2006, 12:37 PM
i am as well. i was ranting about this again last night. goddam this show is good.

grady
02-28-2006, 01:46 PM
http://tvguide.com/News/Entertainment/

SHOWTIME FOR THE BLUTHS?: Hmm, maybe the fat lady should shut her mouth and take a seat. The New York Post hears brand-new buzz that Showtime has not only picked up Fox's canceled Arrested Development but has ordered a full 26 episodes.

SWEET ENOLA GAY SON!

Thats the best damn piece of news I've heard today since George W. Bush's approval rating reportedly dropping below 34%!!

(Keeping fingers crossed that this all pans out now...)

potatobroth
02-28-2006, 01:52 PM
J Walter Weatherman to Fox:
"and thats why you never cancel a show as good as this one."

grady
03-29-2006, 12:53 AM
Well this isn't exactly good news (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117940467?categoryid=1417&cs=1&s=h&p=0). I guess it's time to just give up hope.

It's frustrating to hear things go this way. But the last paragraph of the Variety piece makes a good point, albiet a moot one.

Reps for 20th and Showtime declined comment. One person familiar with the studio's thinking, however, said fans of the show shouldn't write an obit for "Arrested" just yet, noting 20th is the studio that revived "Family Guy."

There had been talk on Aint it cool regarding Hurwitz moving on to other projects, most notably a film project produced by Ronnie Howard and Brian Grazer and more importantly Imagine Entertainment.

More than likely, it's in Hurwitz best interest to move on to other things. Either way, it seems like the death rattle and nails in the coffin are finally solidifying now.

But at the same time, how much would the series be impacted by the departure of Mitchell Hurwitz? Anyone? Brian?

b.miller
03-29-2006, 04:28 PM
yeah... the news pretty much sucks.. but you know, can't force him to keep going if he doesn't want to. it's just a shame because this seemed like the first show to be picked up by a premium solely based on the quality of the show. it would have been awesome to see it succeed on Showtime to give a nice big rasberry to Fox. I mean it MAY still be decent with a different exec. producer... but I'm really not sure what the exact level of involvement Hurwitz is comfortable with.. if he'd still be up for writing episodes or if he just wants to be a consultant... i definitely think he's behind a lot of the genius of the show (not all of it though) so... yeah sucky. but maybe he'll do another show that's just as good? who knows.

stupid fox.

holden
03-30-2006, 06:09 AM
Yeah, that's a pretty big bummer for any hope of another season. Basically makes me feel like they went out on top, creatively, so why lessen the quality with a different producer and a very drastically changed dynamic (since so much was resolved or varied in the final Fox episode).

That little blurb about "Family Guy" coming back...that's kinds grasping at straws, imho.

i'll be waiting for the 3rd season DVDs...some of their finest episodes were the final four!

stimpee
05-29-2013, 02:51 AM
And its back! Anyone caught this yet?

jetpig
05-29-2013, 09:32 AM
Im 5 episodes in. The format is different, but good and it Works for netflix. The pacing is really good: episodes dont feel rushed or stretched at all. Season 3 was... a cobjob. Definitely gonna need more watches, but so did the original series. Good stuff.

holden
08-03-2013, 12:32 PM
First, thanks to Stimpee for reviving a long lost thread!

Also, thanks the Mitch Hurwitz and Co. for creating such a beguiling, deep, and ultimately satisfying 4th season. The first few episodes felt like character suicide, but once the plots started to overlap and the in-jokes mesh, it seemed less like an attempt at refound glory and more like a masterpiece of plot manipulation. Still no comparison to the 22-minute collaborative episodes, but great storytelling, updating the characters and setting the stage for whatever comes next...