PDA

View Full Version : Match Point - new Woody Allen film

grady
10-28-2005, 11:20 AM
trailer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/dreamworks/match_point/)

I had the opportunity to see the film on Wednesday evening in Paris and was literally blown away by it. Not only was I shocked by the fact that it was a new film by Mr. Allen, but more by the fact that it was actually good. If only he would have been making films like this since his last decent film almost six years ago, Sweet & Lowdown. Match Point almost redeems the horrible Anything Else and the barely passable Melinda and Melinda. The closest film to compare it to from his previous work would be the excellent Crimes and Misdemeanors.

When it eventually makes it way to your respective neighborhood, do check it out. It's well worth it.

adam
10-28-2005, 11:23 AM
I really enjoyed Deconstructing Harry, personally.

grady
10-28-2005, 12:16 PM
I really enjoyed Deconstructing Harry, personally.

Same here and I know many people who hated the film. Go figure. In the past few years Woody's films have left me rather bored and very disappointed.

GforGroove
03-05-2006, 09:11 PM
I love it too. i was a bit err (too lazy to find a dictionary now>>) sceptic? about it..but the end of the movie is a total blown away. I think the last two movies Melinda & Melinda and this are a total comeback from Woody Allen.

This movie is genius.

patrick
03-05-2006, 10:04 PM
can't wait to see this one, but really did like melinda and melinda as a fairly good romantic comedy... could have been better, but it was still nice

adam
03-06-2006, 06:54 AM
Match Point is very good.

grady
03-06-2006, 08:29 AM
I love it too. i was a bit err (too lazy to find a dictionary now>>) sceptic? about it..but the end of the movie is a total blown away. I think the last two movies Melinda & Melinda and this are a total comeback from Woody Allen.

This movie is genius.

You like Melinda & Melinda Gof?

I was so disappointed by it. Granted, I really did like the setup of the two play writes discussing the nature of comedy/drama, the movie fell flat, but not as hard and flat as Anything Else.

In the words of Bela Legosi in Ed Wood, "BULLSHIT!"

And woody even had a really good DP shooting the film too, Darius Khondji. And it was shot in scope/anamporphic. What the hell compelled him to do that?