PDA

View Full Version : Elephant

chino
09-30-2005, 05:08 PM
Just saw Gus Van Sant's Elephant, and God i liked it a lot.

despite being a very short film, it's full of great moments, like when it goes in slow motion for some seconds and then it goes back to normal motion. Or when the cam is static and it's only recording what happens in front of it, nothing else.

It somehow reminded me Virgin Suicides's mood.
kind of sad, melancholic and with real people.

the end couldn't be better.

I'm looking forward to seeing Last Days

already saw Drugstore Cowboy... such a great movie.

winjer
09-30-2005, 08:23 PM
Love Elephant, Last Days, and Gerry.... he's really doing some wonderful and ballsy things with the medium.

Deckard
10-01-2005, 03:14 AM
I'd forgotten all about Drugstore Cowboy - hugely underrated film with great performances.

Not yet seen Elephant though.

the mongoose
10-01-2005, 04:23 AM
If I wanted to watch people walk around for hours doing FUCKING NOTHING I'd just go to the mall.

Once the shit hit the fan, it was unrealistic and just anticlimatic.....it did make me think AFTER it was over....and I guess it left an impression on me, but FUCK!!!!!!!!! that was some LAME walking scenes and a whole hell of a lot of nothingness going on to call it a great film. Nice try from ol' Gus, but I could NEVER stand to sit through that snorefest again. I know real life isn't exciting and the movie tried to make it seem like a normal day at a normal school and use characters that you never got to "know" so you could get into it all like it was real, but then the ending was like a stupid opera or Greek tragedy. Really took me out of it.

Not my cup of tea, but I can see how people could really dig this. To each his own for sure.
2 and 3/4 stars out of 5. :):(:(

chino
10-01-2005, 03:32 PM
If I wanted to watch people walk around for hours doing FUCKING NOTHING I'd just go to the mall.

Once the shit hit the fan, it was unrealistic and just anticlimatic.....it did make me think AFTER it was over....and I guess it left an impression on me, but FUCK!!!!!!!!! that was some LAME walking scenes and a whole hell of a lot of nothingness going on to call it a great film. Nice try from ol' Gus, but I could NEVER stand to sit through that snorefest again. I know real life isn't exciting and the movie tried to make it seem like a normal day at a normal school and use characters that you never got to "know" so you could get into it all like it was real, but then the ending was like a stupid opera or Greek tragedy. Really took me out of it.

Not my cup of tea, but I can see how people could really dig this. To each his own for sure.
2 and 3/4 stars out of 5. :):(:(

What would Sofia Coppola think about this?