PDA

View Full Version : Mirrormask

adam
09-29-2005, 08:28 AM
How did I not know about this until today? How?!

Malt Refund
09-29-2005, 03:04 PM
Mirrormask has been shopped around film festivals for like 5 months now trying to gain buzz, kinda what Serenity did. I can't stand it! As a fan of both Sandman creators work I can't wait until it comes out. Anyone know the release date if there is one?

adam
09-29-2005, 03:44 PM
The website lists different releases for different US cities...nothin' for Vancouver yet, though.

b.miller
09-29-2005, 06:14 PM
it opens here on friday... when i get time to see it i'll post again

GforGroove
09-29-2005, 09:47 PM
Check this interview :)

http://www.vfxblog.com/vfx/2005/09/dave_mckean_on_.html

b.miller
10-04-2005, 09:43 PM
just saw it...

Any fan of Dave McKean's work will leave their special juices on the floor of the theater.

It is... SO great. The only way i can sort of try to describe it is to picture McKean's work just start moving. It's still just as intricate, ornate, and surreal... but it's moving. It's really a feast for your eyes and your mind.

The story fits in with the likes of Alice in Wonderland, The Neverending Story, and Stephen King's The Talisman. It's very much as simple as a fairy tale, as ethereal as a dream, and as complete and detailed as another world. Gaiman's script is sharp and the main characters are filled out and acted well. I just can't tell you what it's like though. It's pretty much blown me away.

And what's cool is it's like 100 minutes long. It's not just over an hour like Corpse Bride... it's a full-length feature... and the live action stuff is, in a different way, just as interesting as the fully-created landscapes. I was expecting McKean to sort of falter working with actors on real locations but he handles it rather well I thought.

completely amazing. just wild. I really think it's a modern-day Alice in Wonderland.

P.S. I cannot - CAN NOT - believe that they made this movie for 4 millions dollars. that is... unbelievable.

Animal Boything
11-16-2005, 05:14 PM
I finally got a chance to see this, and it is a wonderful and truly unique film.

As a Gaiman fan, though, I'm starting to notice patterns in his writing that stick out more than they should. His protagonists are always thrown into a situation where the normal rules don't apply, they have no idea what the new rules are, and everyone treats them like an idiot for it. Aside from that, he is pretty great.

I heard he wants to direct the Death movie himself, just so nobody else has a chance to fuck it up. I think he ought to give McKean a shot at it, personally... And imagine what that guy could do with Sandman, given a large budget...

mmm skyscraper
11-17-2005, 06:09 AM
I probably will have to wait for the DVD as it doesn't seem to be playing anywhere near me.