PDA

View Full Version : Serenity

mkb
09-28-2005, 09:21 AM
Hmm, no threads on this yet.

I saw it at a preview last night. AWESOME.

It will probably be less awesome if you have not seen Firefly. There is thankfully one very awesome space battle.

b.miller
09-28-2005, 10:22 PM
just got home from a pretty badass premiere for this movie.

I liked this movie a lot. Yes, I think it will be more emotionally resonant for you if you've already spent 18 hours with these characters, but the movie attempts to provide the necessary set-up for you new guys as well so I don't think you'll be lost. Actually, the overriding message tonight was to tell everyone you possibly can to see it this weekend. If the film does well, the plan it to make two more movies and possibly bring the show back. Firefly fans rejoice!

Personally, I thought Firefly got too witty for its own good sometimes... too much emphasis on the dialogue and making the characters titter with glee or show that "awww, you know me that well!" grin... but the movie is much more serious and the tones are blended and mixed pitch perfect for my tastes. There's still some cheer-worthy lines and some light moments but they don't dominate the movie... actually there's one point where you go from laughing to crying in like...2 frames.

So yeah, it's a good movie, good space western sci-fi. Lots of fun. As good if not better than the best parts of Firefly

oh, the girl sitting next to me had made her own little "special hell" sign and she held it up when they played that scene as a warning to those who talk during the movie.

The screening that I went to had River and Kaylee in attendance and was shown in this special Old West set that they used for the remake of The Alamo. If you by any chance would like the full account, CLICK HERE (http://mymovie.medialife.org/?action=movieDetails&movieID=405)

Malt Refund
09-29-2005, 03:05 PM
Not reading any of this lest it be spoiled!

Animal Boything
09-29-2005, 04:51 PM
I can't wait for this fucking movie, I am trying to get as many of my friends to watch the show as I can, I've got a few solid converts.
Oh man I'm counting the hours.

Oh, and as far as the show being too witty and too warm sometimes, that was the network fucking with them. In the commentaries Joss Whedon said the network was constantly pushing for the characters to be more likeable and for the show to have more action, when it was originally conceived as more of a drama. I'm glad to hear the movie went back to the roots. If it becomes a series again (oh man I hope so), Hopefully they'll be allowed to continue in that vein.

tinyman
09-30-2005, 02:43 AM
I really wanted to watch this today. But when i got to the cinemas around noon, it was all sold out 'till late evening. now that's just ridiculous. I haven't seen much ads for this thing, surely there weren't that many firefly fans in sydney. guess like the tv series, the cinemas here are underestimating its potential popularity too.

Raz
09-30-2005, 02:52 AM
As long as they got rid of the god awful theme tune.

koisk
09-30-2005, 04:49 AM
A group of us are going tonight to see it! No power in the 'verse can stop me!

mkb
09-30-2005, 12:38 PM
i really want to have a stupid poll about which character is your favorite, but NO./

mkb
09-30-2005, 12:39 PM
As long as they got rid of the god awful theme tune.
nowhere to be found.

IsiliRunite
09-30-2005, 12:43 PM
My thoughts from the three minute Preview:

Alien: Resurrection + Pirates of the Carribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl=
Lame.

Animal Boything
09-30-2005, 06:41 PM
My thoughts from the three minute Preview:

Alien: Resurrection + Pirates of the Carribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl=
Lame.You have it all wrong, it's a space western.

You might have a point except that I really love both of those movies.

Animal Boything
10-01-2005, 05:50 PM
Saw it! Loved it! Not just a great follow-up to the show, but a damn good movie in its own right. If they do manage to continue the story further, in whatever form, it will be very interesting to see where it goes from here. It made for a good ending, but it would make an even better beginning.

I've heard generally positive things from people who saw it with no knowledge of the series, because it really is a self-contained story and a damn good one, but I would still recommend watching the series first, if you have time. Where these characters end up means more if you know where they've been.

A lot of critics have stated that this is what the Star Wars prequels should have been. Now, I disagree, because I loved those movies, often for the same reasons other people didn't, but it can certainly be said that this is a very different kind of sci-fi adventure movie, much more firmly rooted in reality and human drama, and with genuinely scary villains that are straight out of a nightmare.

The adrenaline rush of this movie lasted until well after it ended. I've never seen a smoother transition from small screen to big.

koisk
10-01-2005, 06:26 PM
Saw it! Loved it! Not just a great follow-up to the show, but a damn good movie in its own right. If they do manage to continue the story further, in whatever form, it will be very interesting to see where it goes from here. It made for a good ending, but it would make an even better beginning.

I've heard generally positive things from people who saw it with no knowledge of the series, because it really is a self-contained story and a damn good one, but I would still recommend watching the series first, if you have time. Where these characters end up means more if you know where they've been.

A lot of critics have stated that this is what the Star Wars prequels should have been. Now, I disagree, because I loved those movies, often for the same reasons other people didn't, but it can certainly be said that this is a very different kind of sci-fi adventure movie, much more firmly rooted in reality and human drama, and with genuinely scary villains that are straight out of a nightmare.

The adrenaline rush of this movie lasted until well after it ended. I've never seen a smoother transition from small screen to big.

Agreed, agreed, agreed. However, MASSIVE SPOILERS BELOW (highlight text):

I'm a little upset over what Joss did to Wash. Why, of all the people, did it have to be Wash? And in such a unbefitting manner as well!

Animal Boything
10-01-2005, 08:19 PM
MORE HUGE DEADLY GODDAMN SPOILERS DO NOT TOUCH:
It seems likely to me that the actor decided not to commit to future installments, whether to pursue other interests or simply to avoid the instability that has plagued the series in the past, and that Joss Whedon chose for him a dramatic sendoff that would actually make the other characters more interesting in the aftermath. I imagine his absence may be as tangible as his presence in future installments. Likewise Book. It also leaves room for cool new characters, which will help since so many existing loose ends have been tied up.

But yeah, it totally sucks because they were great!

b.miller
10-01-2005, 11:17 PM
SECRET DECODER RING REQUIRED

Wash's death does seem a tad gratuitous and aimed at shock value alone, but in the words of a guy i saw it with: "yeah but it made me cry, and that's AWESOME!"

Malt Refund
10-02-2005, 08:38 PM
Joss always takes people out.. I mean Buffy died twice, Angel once, Spike once. They always came back. You get used to it. ^__^

Malt Refund
10-02-2005, 08:38 PM
By the way the movie was... liquid sex.

mkb
10-03-2005, 08:26 AM
You have it all wrong, it's a space western.

You might have a point except that I really love both of those movies.
He's got a point. I have heard a lot of comments about the trailer making the movie look really bad. Obviously these comments are from non-Browncoats.

b.miller
10-03-2005, 02:08 PM
it only made 10.1 million... i guess all the browncoats are broke (hah hah)

sorry... i still liked it... those people who make fun of hardcore Whedon fundies are not wrong to do so though.

grady
10-03-2005, 04:06 PM
Saw it and enjoyed it a great deal. Now I'm on a marathon of watching the entire series of Firefly and then will go check out the film again.

koisk
10-03-2005, 06:36 PM
I doubt Universal would pony up the money for a sequal then! That's a shame. Hopefully DVD sales will be crazy.

myrrh
10-03-2005, 07:51 PM
Saw it and thought it was pretty solid as well. I never even knew a show called Firefly existed and haven't seen a single episode. A friend has the series on DVD, so I am going to watch it now and then probably go check it out again.

Oh yeah, b.miller, how comes you get to go to all the cool premeries?

b.miller
10-03-2005, 08:28 PM
myrrh you are in for a treat! that's like finding out there's 12 hours of deleted scenes and the good kind of deleted scenes like in Boogie Nights not the bad kind that were obviously deleted for a reason!

as for me getting to go to cool events, it's basically because I live in the coolest town in the world for film geeks. I even think it's better than LA for film geeks because it's all very passe and saturated in LA... nobody's really excited about making cool events even though so much goes on there. Here, there's a dedicated and loyal group of moviegoers that just geek out all over the place. That's really why we have the best theater and why cool people like tarantino choose this town to come show films in...

for instance, Eli Wallach is in town at the end of this month for a screening of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly with all-you-can-eat Pizza. the next day, Chris Elliot is in town for a screening of Cabin Boy. the day after that, they're running the 100 best death scenes, cutting out all the boresome plot and just showing pure unadulterated violence.

so i really don't have much to do with it... i just live in a cool place.

Animal Boything
10-04-2005, 05:50 PM
it only made 10.1 million... i guess all the browncoats are broke (hah hah)What I heard is it was just a bad weekend in general, and it actually came in at #2. I'm also guessing that those who see it will see it more than once, and that word will continue to spread. Also, its budget wasn't huge... 50 million I think? I'm not saying it's going to smash all the records, but I don't think it's actually going to bomb.

koisk
10-04-2005, 06:31 PM
What I heard is it was just a bad weekend in general, and it actually came in at #2. I'm also guessing that those who see it will see it more than once, and that word will continue to spread. Also, its budget wasn't huge... 50 million I think? I'm not saying it's going to smash all the records, but I don't think it's actually going to bomb.

I believe 40 million. I plan on seeing it again along with a few of my friends too.

b.miller
10-04-2005, 09:46 PM
yeah i think the really important number is how much it drops off this second weekend. It didn't play on as many screens as Flightplan, but it has to be said that this is Flightplan's second week (ouch) and A History of Violence made more per-screen... plus I think Whedon & co. were looking for a really smash success opening weekend to prove to the powers that be that the Firefly universe is worth continuing.

I mean, I'm sure DVD sales will be tremendous and it will probably maybe recoup it's budget (although they had some pretty massive marketing as well. who knows how much they spent on that) but I'm not sure it's a big enough "sign" to justify any more movies/another series.

who knows though, we'll see.