PDA

View Full Version : Arse v Barca

Dirty0900
03-31-2010, 02:30 AM
Can only see Barca winning this:

0-2

Eikman
03-31-2010, 02:37 AM
i'd say it's a draw in london and a close victory by barca next week.

Jason Roth
03-31-2010, 05:19 AM
Go Barça!

potatobroth
03-31-2010, 05:54 AM
Really? I can see Arse winning this. All depends on which Arse team shows up though. No doubt Barca are the favorites here, but I have a suspicion that Arse takes this at home.

potatobroth
03-31-2010, 01:05 PM
im eating my words. what a disaster.

Jason Roth
03-31-2010, 01:16 PM
73rd minute - not over yet ;)

Eikman
03-31-2010, 01:38 PM
yeah, that was totally a red card *cough*

well, like i said - a draw.

stimpee
03-31-2010, 01:56 PM
Well well. Eikman not eating his words. Though it was definitely a penalty. To say Puyol wasnt denying a goal scoring opportunity you need a white stick and a guide dog. Undeserved draw for Arsenal. No fabregas in the 2nd leg, and Barca will have 2 players out too. Still gotta be Barca to go thru.

Jason Roth
03-31-2010, 04:55 PM
Barca, already weak in the back, will be without their 2 best defenders next week. This is far from over.

Eikman
04-01-2010, 04:06 AM
Barca, already weak in the back.

are they? before the arsenal match, they conceded only 4 goals in this entire CL round and only 18 (in 29 games, that's eight less than Real Madrid!) in the spanish league. no other european top team has conceded less goals in their respective home league (i.e. not in england, germany, netherlands, france and italy)

that's not what i would call "weak in the back", but rather one of the best defensive lines there is.

nevertheless, puyol and pique will be missed for sure, but i think with marquez they have another excellent defender along their lines. and if messi shows a better effort and iniesta returns to the squad, the offense should put it straight ;)

Jason Roth
04-01-2010, 06:12 AM
are they? before the arsenal match, they conceded only 4 goals in this entire CL round and only 18 (in 29 games, that's eight less than Real Madrid!) in the spanish league. no other european top team has conceded less goals in their respective home league (i.e. not in england, germany, netherlands, france and italy)

that's not what i would call "weak in the back", but rather one of the best defensive lines there is.

nevertheless, puyol and pique will be missed for sure, but i think with marquez they have another excellent defender along their lines. and if messi shows a better effort and iniesta returns to the squad, the offense should put it straight ;)

Not giving up goals ≠ being strong in the back. La Liga is kinda soft outside of the top 3 or 4. Also Barca usually dominate possession, giving opposing offenses fewer opportunities to score.

Marquez has been in poor form all year, Abidal is coming off injury, Alves likes to play forward and Chygrynski is ineligible. Barca needs to score early next week AND control the midfield. With no Fabregas for Arsenal AND if Iniesta plays, this shouldn't be that tough a task.

Eikman
04-01-2010, 06:45 AM
La Liga is kinda soft outside of the top 3 or 4. .

which league isn't?

Jason Roth
04-01-2010, 07:39 AM
which league isn't?

EPL has a distinct top 3, but the next 5-6 teams down the table can all play.

Eikman
04-01-2010, 08:14 AM
and yet surprisingly, none of those teams seem to be able to compete in Europe. who was the last English UEFA cup winner besides Liverpool in 2001? oh right, the Spurs in 1984 ;)

admit it, aston villa, man city or tottenham are hardly any better than Sevilla, Valencia, Juventus or even Werder Bremen or Hamburg.

anyway, this is getting a bit off-topic...

Jason Roth
04-01-2010, 08:26 AM

Ya think?

Btw, I just watched the replay of the Puyol red card. It's an awful call. Fabregas never gets close to the ball. He swings his leg out at nothing, waits for the contact, and then crumples to the ground. Even the English announcers admitted, "Fabregas made the most out of that one."

Eikman
04-01-2010, 09:20 AM
and he broke his leg: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/8598122.stm

i'm surprised that he managed to take the penalty at all. adrenalin truly is amazing.

potatobroth
04-02-2010, 05:04 AM
Perhaps Fulham can be teh next Europa champ!

Arsenal were handled all game until their burst of confidence towards the end. They are an exceptionally young team and you can bet they'll be better in a few years time, sans any more broken legs.

Rog
04-02-2010, 05:33 PM
and yet surprisingly, none of those teams seem to be able to compete in Europe. who was the last English UEFA cup winner besides Liverpool in 2001? oh right, the Spurs in 1984 ;)

admit it, aston villa, man city or tottenham are hardly any better than Sevilla, Valencia, Juventus or even Werder Bremen or Hamburg.

i would say that's about right ;) (i mean the first part not the off topic thing)

stimpee
04-03-2010, 01:42 PM
i'm surprised that he managed to take the penalty at all. adrenalin truly is amazing.so Puyol broke Fabregas' leg? :)

Eikman
04-03-2010, 03:17 PM
well, Abidal had quite a solid comeback against Bilbao tonight (even set up two of the four goals), so i think they'll do fine on tuesday. but apparently Ibrahimovic got injured while warming up, so one will have to see whether he's going to play...

also, a fun fact: Abidal is 30 years old and apparently never scored a goal in his professional career. not a single one. poor guy. maybe they should just let him take a penalty or so ;)

Rog
04-03-2010, 04:38 PM
well, Abidal had quite a solid comeback against Bilbao tonight (even set up two of the four goals), so i think they'll do fine on tuesday. but apparently Ibrahimovic got injured while warming up, so one will have to see whether he's going to play...

also, a fun fact: Abidal is 30 years old and apparently never scored a goal in his professional career. not a single one. poor guy. maybe they should just let him take a penalty or so ;)

he would probably miss..........

Jason Roth
04-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Messi > Arsenal

Eikman
04-07-2010, 03:46 AM
did you see that ludicrous display last night (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uoM6p7ueao&feature=player_embedded)? :D

//\/\/
04-07-2010, 04:07 AM
after that, wenger can never again bleat on about teams trying to rough up his team...

Jason Roth
04-07-2010, 07:26 AM
Bring on Inter!

Eikman
04-08-2010, 01:43 AM
yeah, they got NAZI in their name! bring 'em on!

Jason Roth
04-08-2010, 07:18 AM
yeah, they got NAZI in their name!

:rolleyes: