PDA

View Full Version : Leaders of the free World

Tiger
09-16-2005, 01:30 AM
anyone picked up the new elbow lp yet? was listening to asleep in the back on a long boring car journey through driving rain last night and it reminded me how much i love their gorgeous melodies.

a mate whose photgraphed them in the past went to their studio in salford a few months back when they played the album live for the press and record types and said it was brillant, but very poppy for elbow.

anyways gonna buy a cd next week and dunno whether to pick this up or blackilicous' Craft which seems to be getting some rave reviews. wish i had cash for both but with the wife having our first child in 9 weeks cash is short

DeJackyl
09-16-2005, 10:32 AM
Listened to it a dozen times and now no more: bigget dissapointment this year. All I can say is that it's just boring, hardly would I have thought Elbow could be this lacking in substance.

brokenhanger
09-18-2005, 08:04 PM
Listened to it a dozen times and now no more: bigget dissapointment this year. All I can say is that it's just boring, hardly would I have thought Elbow could be this lacking in substance.

Really? I think it's quite possibly their best, most fully realized album yet. Love the first two more than life itself at times, especially "Asleep in the Back", but this one is just stunning and one of the few not disappointing at all records of the ones I was really looking forward to this year. The art is shit, but you can't win 'em all.

The 'Forget Myself' b-sides are equally fantastic, as always, and well worth picking up the singles for.

DeJackyl
09-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Gonna get the b-sides now and hope they're up there. Agree with your feelings on the last two albums but this one I've given more than ample attempts at (well beyond the point i'd give up on most other albums).

Dirty0900
09-19-2005, 12:06 PM

I think its the best thing they've done.....

Tiger
10-07-2005, 09:34 AM
listened to it a few times now, and must say i love it. great melodies, cracking lyrics and defo stands up to their previous work imo. at the mo i'd say the eponoymous title track is my fav so far

Dirty0900
10-07-2005, 02:39 PM
Yar,its grown a lot on me, looking forward to seein them in November to!