PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix, AZ - what's there?

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
09-15-2005, 09:47 AM
Considering how big this shit is, one'd think there would be enough bodies to fill a decent club. NOT A GAY BAR. I want good music, not fresh or aged meat.

I've been to -- sorry, was warned not to saying anything about that one.

I've heard of Anti-Space, and Jugheads once a month.

Anyone know of anywhere else in Phoenix or it's fucking hundreds of surrounding districts.

//\/\/
09-15-2005, 10:19 AM
hooters

(dumb "rule")

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
09-15-2005, 11:00 AM
ha, ha and ha.

Another night of cheap sex I guess, this is getting boring.

lukeyd
09-15-2005, 11:13 AM
Another night of cheap sex I guess, this is getting boring.get out. get out now.

dirtytomato
09-15-2005, 07:55 PM
I lived in Tucson, which has even less to offer than Phoenix. I agree, GET OUT NOW! It is a cultural desert really. I mean, yeah acts like Fischerspooner, Interpol and such have gone through there, but that's rare... I'd check out Tempe though. Mill Avenue is fun, that's where you'll find Hooters, loads of great shops, Bands typically play the Marquee Theatre and The Clubhouse. There's some dance club there that DJs usually play, but I forget the name of it.

You could also drive down to Tucson, sometimes bands play there instead of Phoenix. Mono and Metric will be playing there in the next couple of months. And these are shows that typically don't sell out because a large part of the population in both cities are suburbanites, honkies, frats, and sorority ditz.

Kennrr
09-16-2005, 12:28 AM
yo jOHN rODRIGUEZ, i live in phoenix. what type of stuff are you looking for? xiu xiu played at modified about 2 weeks back? it was cool, cuz its small and quiet. (oops not quiet, i meant cozy, they were loud as fuck!) the boys at anti-space are cool as fuck. if your into hip hop theres the blunt club, saturday go to hidden house. that place is fun, my friends pull out an awesome after party once every month. have you checked out our art scene? its fantastic, make sure to go to first friday and meet some cool people and art. theres some other stuff, if your interested message me.

really depends on what the crowd your looking for?
if your looking for a cool bar to hang out, try bikini lounge. thats where i dwell at heh, its pretty cool on nights and weekends, but on daytime its depressing dive. it has character. let me know what type of things your looking for? i'm afraid i don't really go see bands all that much nowadays.

Tiger
09-16-2005, 01:24 AM
visited Phoenix on business earlier this year and i couldn't believe the number of clubs there were................problem was they were all of the golf variety:rolleyes:

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
09-16-2005, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the info guys, esp. Kennrr. Your name came to mind while I posted my req, but wasn't sure if you were still in the area. I'm back and forth from Tucson to Phoenix at the moment trying to decide if I want to work here. Meeting up sometime sounds good, I plan to be back here next Friday for the Skinny Puppy screening so I'll msg you if you'd like to come along. Going to meet up with a few people I've met up here so far, so it'd be best to meet there because I'm not so sure about these characters myself.

Cound not agree more on the art culture here, un-fucking-believable how massive it is. I'm at the Tempe Library at this moment checking out the "Mother" exhibit by local painters, top notch and refreshing it is. Last month, what was supposed be a one night stand took me up to Jerome, Sedona, and someplace the name escapes me but it was a bit like going from Haight-Ashbry, to Sante Fe, and then a gypsy bohemian graceland. BUT THE FUCKING HEAT HERE!!! Everyone keeps telling me, "You'll get used to it" or "it's just 3 months out of the year", but I realy don't see it happening unless I get an offer of beaucoup dough in exchange for whoring out my intellect.

I'll send you a message next week from Tucson with the plans on SP. Oh yeah, and what do you know about Club Congress here in Tucson. I've read of a few DJ's doing their do the past few weeks, but it came accross as a college meat market, hang out, kinda thing from photos. Where as the entire area is being revamped to an art district in it's own rite.

Kennrr
09-16-2005, 07:44 PM
hey if your not doing nothing you should go here

This is going to be an awesome benefit event, with the proceeds going 100% to the victims of Hurricane Katrina, being held at the ICE HOUSE (429 W. Jackons St, PHX, AZ) on SAT. SEPT. 17th from 6 PM until ITS OVER!! It is going to be a family-oriented event, playing host to the interactive Children's Pavillion. There will be plenty of wonderful live art and music as well as a silent auction of hundreds of donated art pieces to assist in the fundraising. Performances by rocketline(as we are going HUGE, YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS THIS ONE), as well as respected friends including: Colorstore, Sweetbleeders, Sonorous, Diana Mera, This Traveling Will, Kill Baby Kill, La Roja Dance Ensemble, Lonna Kelly, Candice Aragon, Back Ted N ed, DJ Robby Rob, Satori, Chris Doyle, Greta Skelly and Off/Axis. Attendees are asked to donate a minimum of $5 to support the relief effort. You will be able to choose directly which organization you would like your donation to go to from a selection including The Salvation Army, and grassroots organizations such as Community Labor United - a coalition of community activist organizations, and Plan B - a New Orleans bicycle collective. There will also be a collection point for material goods including clothing, toiletries, and bicycles, to be distributed to displaced residents of New Orleans now in Phoenix or sent back to affected areas. Material goods will be donated to the Salvation Army. Bicycles will go to New Orleanians now in Phoenix, or to Plan B for distribution in Louisiana. It is going to be a night of benefit, positivitvity and community you do not want to miss. Be a part of our world, come and help us fight for a stronger more unified national community, one filled with positive progress, not ignorance and negativity. We hope to see you all there!!! Much love goes out to all the folks working thier tails off in making this event happen...you are all an awesome team.

dirtytomato
09-19-2005, 10:46 PM
Oh yeah, and what do you know about Club Congress here in Tucson. I've read of a few DJ's doing their do the past few weeks, but it came accross as a college meat market, hang out, kinda thing from photos. Where as the entire area is being revamped to an art district in it's own rite.

The art gallery at UA has the best photography collection, loads of work by Ansel Adams. Club Congress was my favorite venue, although bands did play at the worndown Rialto. Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Interpol, Broken Social Scene, etc. have played there. It's awesome because you can actually see the bands there, it's a small venue and shows rarely sell out. I saw Pretty Girls Make Graves and The Rapture there. I talked to Kelly from PGMG at another show and she said the hotel is haunted. Drinks are cheap. It's not a meat market on nights there is a show. Have you checked out 4th Avenue?

:)

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
09-20-2005, 02:28 PM
4th Avenue up to Club Congress is the area I'm referring to that's being renovated and it appears to be quite extensive. I was given a tour my 2nd week here by a prior resident who's a contractor for FEMA (If you read this Chris, I'm still waiting for your call back, I don't care how much time you've devoted to New Orleans, call me fucker) and has his building co. involved with the project in Tucson at a much smaller scale. He more or less walked me through every business space being worked on and told me what each was going to end opening as. Some as mini-spa's, a tattoo parlor, and a number of local bars with incredible interiors catering to a number of trends or jazzy tastes. I was under the impression he thought I'd open up something myself, ???? (it wouldn't be legal, Chris j/k)

The Rialto was his pride and joy as once again, he's done something to it, he said I was one of the first to get a tour during closed hours. It's been revamped and there's shows scheduled for the next 3 months and running, pretty much something every night. I wasn't too impressed with how close the seating was, as I'd be in hell say UNDERWORLD were playing there and I couldn't dance, Chris did get my opinion BTW.

I haven't had a chance to check out UoA's collection, but in due time nothing's safe from my critique! I'm working the place like an office whore though, trying to get a job there as it's the most open, friendly place as a whole I've come across down here.

Thanks for the heads up dirtytomato!