Jan
06-01-2009, 01:10 PM
New Monkey Island games! How awesome!
http://www.telltalegames.com/community/blogs/id-458

Guybrush Threepwood is my idol :D

Leon
06-02-2009, 05:12 AM
Great news! :D

And they're remaking The Secret Of Monkey Island!

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/monkeyisland/

edit: oh that's in your article as well, never mind :)

King of Snake
06-02-2009, 10:16 AM
i'm so gonna buy that.

Dunwho
06-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Oh my god! simply the best game ever made! i had a whole lifetime of insults engrained in my head from playing that game! Loved it - yea im gona buy that!

Dunwho
06-02-2009, 08:01 PM
I think im more interested in the updated original to be honest.. hope they havnt butchered it... i dont like when games that really worked in their basic 2d or semi 3d format are turned into full on 3d games...hope it isnt butchered!

Wubwubwubwub
06-17-2009, 11:21 PM
It's butchered.

stimpee
06-18-2009, 05:55 AM
Theres a video floating about of the old and new side-by-side...

Wubwubwubwub
06-18-2009, 05:30 PM
They had what they were billing as a "pretty final" version at E3. It had very shitty new artwork (the portrait screens are butchered beyond belief) and the dub, re-recorded soundtrack, and refined interface is ONLY available if you play with the new shitty graphics.

You can, of course, play it in pure old school mode. Which isn't well designed for the gamepad, and is badly fitted to the screen so it's ugly and distorted. Basically, a considerably worse experience than the original. There is no ability to mix and match which new features you want. This makes the whole release a waste in my eyes, because I don't want to play it in either mode. I'll just go play it in SCUMMVM.

stimpee
06-19-2009, 07:18 AM
I think i'll play it ScummVM on my iphone... seems perfectly suited.

Wubwubwubwub
06-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Yeah, the iPhone version of SCUMMVM is quite awesome. The Wii version is also quite good.

stimpee
06-22-2009, 07:17 AM
So what was so fundamentally wrong with the original that it needs a re-release with pimped graphics? i guess it needs ScummVM to run properly but is that it? I grabbed it again recently and couldnt get the music running...but it seemed to run just fine (good speed, not crazy fast)

Wubwubwubwub
06-22-2009, 10:45 PM
That's just it - it's completely unnecessary.

edit - from memory there are two versions of the game out there for scummvm - the floppy disc version without music, and a cd version with. Maybe you had the floppy version?

stimpee
06-23-2009, 07:20 AM
Looks like i got the floppy version. Will look again for the CD-version. I still have the original (for Mac) with the card-wheel for the protection at my folks house somewhere...

Wubwubwubwub
06-24-2009, 09:04 PM
The Dial-a-Pirate was fucking awesome. All DRM should be scrapped in favour of this method of copy protection.

Ranana_infuLp
07-03-2009, 07:57 PM
I wonder if the developers will work with Ron Gilbert to reveal at last the real secret of monkey island if there is one.

King of Snake
07-04-2009, 03:17 AM
So what was so fundamentally wrong with the original that it needs a re-release with pimped graphics?

...the graphics. And the fact that I can't play the original on my xbox.

Leon
07-04-2009, 08:26 AM
The Curse of Monkey Island is probably my favorite game ever. Everytime I have a discussion about games with friends, I always reminisce about it. I'm quite happy they use its style and voices for the remake. I hope it doesn't dissapoint though, it might just not turn out the way you'd want it to.

About the new Monkey Island: I'm thrilled there's going to be a new one. The only thing is: I got the new Sam & Max series as well, or at least the first 2 episodes, and it just couldn't excite me much. The graphics look nice but I had the feeling it misses some of the vibes most old skool adventure games have. Of course I shouldn't compare it to old adventure games, because part of their attraction is nostalgia, but if I remember well, I didn't enjoy the humor in the episodes as much either. I think I even found some characters a bit annoying. I hope this is not going to be the case with the new Monkey Island.
Anyway, maybe I should retry the new Sam & Max, it's been quite a while since I've played it.

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
07-04-2009, 08:50 PM
The Curse of Monkey Island is probably my favorite game ever. . .

Shut up Leon.

J/K. :D

Steven Beck
07-10-2009, 02:51 AM
Good post. Would read again.

Leon
07-10-2009, 04:25 AM
I've played the demo for Tales Of Monkey Island, but my computer's to slow, so I'm going to wait till it gets a release on Xbox Live. From what I've seen, the graphics can be nice. I just hope it will have a nice "vibe" like the other games have (and which the Sam & Max episodes don't have). Not sure about the controls though. You kind of have to click and hold your mouse to where you want to go. I think I prefer classic point 'n click, but we'll see.

Dunwho
07-13-2009, 07:56 PM
It's butchered.

Aw no, im disgusted really... I mean, i know the original perhaps was lacking in a few qualities but im pretty sure i dont want to play anything else... i just want it commercialy available to play! ha

Oh such great memories!...getting stuck at the totempole part for soooooooo long and thinking there had to be something bout the totem poles i hadnt done and finaly working it out... (ive forgotten now completely, but thats a good thing)

And this was a time when games were games and not simply a ten level 50quid waste of money, these games were hard, inventive and enjoyable!

Remember Kings Quest....? IV being my favourite!

And that voice... "Alexander looks through the hole"

classic

Dunwho
07-13-2009, 07:57 PM
EEE GAZ is that COLD!!!