Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2015, 07:09 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
New Chemical Brothers
Lead single, lead track from "Born In the Echoes", TBR in July:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/23...lease-new-song

Gotta say, i was losing interest with "Push the Button" (2005) and "We Are the Night" (2007), but the conceptual "Further" (2010) saved the chemical day for me. This first single is a grower, and i'll be very interested in learning how it fits in with the flow of the full LP.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:29 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Re: New Chemical Brothers
I was just thinking that the Chems were almost as overdue for an album as Underworld. I'll be interested to see what they put out.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:39 AM
Troy McClure
I'm the Spoonman

I like it a lot...good opening track for the new record. Kind of reminds me of a blend 'Three Little Birdies Down Beats' and the vibe from the 'Further' record.

The iTunes link shows 2 bonus songs, plus 2 extend mixes.

The Chems are playing the Hard Summer Music Festival on Sat. August 1 in the LA area. Hopefully they'll add some more dates in the US.

-Jason
Old 06-25-2015, 05:17 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

It's allright but I'm fed up with the annoying high pitched vocals the Chems seem to put in every other track these days. Bring back Noel Gallagher and Beth Orton please!
Old 07-11-2015, 02:53 PM
holden
collateral damage

All of the preview tracks- "Sometimes I feel so deserted", " Go", "Under Neon Lights" and "EML Ritual" have been growers ( well, the latter captured my attention from play one, but is growing in my esteem, too). I interpret this as a sign of a maturing, evolving band, not resting on laurels or reinventing the wheel. Early reviews are very positive about the eclectic, disorienting album... And the interview with pitchfork suggests that the Chems are trying hard to shake things up.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:34 PM
holden
collateral damage

Release day! Listened to the full deluxe edition twice through... Short story is: front loaded record, half brilliant, half bizarre. 7.5/10
Longer story: the Chems know how to bang and know how to get the most of their guest vocalists. Previously released tracks show off this strength. But techno blaster "Reflexion" and psychedelic "I'll see you there" ( homage to the Beatles "Tomorrow never knows") are amongst their best tracks. The second half lags a bit with half finished, dated tracks like " taste of honey", "born in the echoes" and even, "just bang" (joyful, but such a random assortment, its a mess that works). Final two tracks take on a melancholy edge, but seem out of place with the danceable proceedings.
Overall, one gets the sense that the Chems are trying to change things up, but they either fall back into a comfortable mold or lose it completely in experiments that sort of work. Not as consistent as "Further" (2010), but miles ahead of "We are the night" (2007).
Old 07-18-2015, 10:59 AM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

I like it better than the new leftfield album, but still find the orbs newest to be more consistently good overall, personally. That said to have three new albums in as many months from these groups is pretty great.